FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 114 First 12341252102 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to start level 2 for DOTMM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Sorry about that. Those maps are huge, so it takes a bit of time to do them. I completely missed that you did that one. I left the secret doors off for now because we are debating how we want to handle these with a few little changes.

If you want to check out the ones I did, please create a new campaign so that it doesn't blow away the version that you did. In fact, make an extra backup somewhere safe.
    No problem of course I did that also to see how well that system works (and I mentioned some to Moon Wizard and he made some tasks for that, thanks ), and what is better for testing than taking the huge maps of DotMM

I will look later in your file for seeing different approaches, sometimes I was not sure what the best method would be (e.g. if statues in human-size should be closed terrain or should get no special LoS thing)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 21st, 2019 at 21:44.

Blog Entries
    Level 2 is now done. That's it for me for a bit.

As soon as i’ve Finished updating the Monster Manual i’ll get started on this. I intend to start with Avernus and work backwards.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

I am not sure if it still needed but here is my version of Level-1-Players of DotMM (I added a bit more, double doors works as two doors and I used my secret door approach)

Regardless if my map is useful, I may be able to provide some additional guideline for doing the LoS (at least a system which worked well for me), especially for someone who did not try it out I did the following order:
    1. Draw doors and terrain (by hand or using the shapes; be careful about that doors are not too big as I mentioned in some previous post here due to movement restriction)
    2. Draw the walls as if secret doors are open, think about adding extra nodes in the wall at the positions of secret doors (e.g. nodes as the corners of the rectangle for the secret door when you want to use my approach for secret doors)
    3. Draw secret doors using the mentioned nodes to help aligning it with the wall (due to the magnet) and think about an extra node in the interior of the walls (see my previous post about how I handle secret doors; use "Add Line" not rectangle or ellipse)

The secret door approach is of course just a workaround Personally I think a second door function as the existing door wall would be more user-friendly. It would work exactly as the existing door with the exception that players can not see the door overlay by hovering over it and that they can not see the interior of the door (mimicing a wall) But not sure how complicated that would be to set-up.

It may be easier to do step 3 before 2 such that you do not have to think about the extra nodes (but then be careful to close the wall still such that there is no gap into the interior of walls when the secret door gets removed)

The reason why I first draw doors etc. is simply due to the glitch I've seen when the doors and walls overlap with each other (probably not a problem later) I draw doors first, e.g. with a rectangle and then I draw the wall, the magnet assures that the wall aligns nicely with the door avoiding that glitch

What I also observed, some "advices" to other users about controls etc.:
    1. Sometimes there are really narrow floors for players. I would suggest to make the distance between walls a bit bigger there to avoid stucked players (due to the movement restricition of walls) They will not be able to use arrow keys but should then still be able to use drag&drop to go through such floors When I was still at Roll20 my players were often annoyed by such small floors when movement was restricted by the walls (there was an option for whether it restricts movement for players)
    2. The magnet aligns several nodes such that a "pile of nodes" is created. When you want to edit such a node then it depends what you want to do. When you want to edit the whole pile of nodes (e.g. moving or deleting the whole pile) then do not select the pile by clicking on it, rather use the selection square because then all nodes are selected. If you just click on the pile then you just select the node on the top; this can be used to edit single nodes but you may have to split the pile first, especially when the node, which you search, is not on the top (turn the magnet off to make that easier)
    3. The RAM usage got better but still can get high over time. When you do not have much RAM but already want to do some maps within the actual version of FGU then do not choose big maps as the ones from DotMM. After some working I often had around 23 GB for such big maps and had to quit FGU after some while to make sure that my work get saved before it crashes Turning LoS off while working on it increases performance

I started before the last update of FGU and there I had the bug that all pins moved in the upper left corner when I shared the map. That bug is not there anymore but the pins are not on the correct place on my map; I was too afraid to press "Revert Changes" because sometimes it resets LoS, sometimes not I hope that this is no problem since the LoS is copied out of the xml file (if my version is used)

Let me know if my approach works
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 22nd, 2019 at 08:12.

Blog Entries
    "The RAM usage got better but still can get high over time. When you do not have much RAM but already want to do some maps within the actual version of FGU then do not choose big maps as the ones from DotMM. After some working I often had around 23 GB for such big maps and had to quit FGU after some while to make sure that my work get saved before it crashes Turning LoS off while working on it increases performance."

Question while I'm busily plugging away at memory usage for the maps, did you have any tokens or visible shortcuts on the map while you were editing LOS? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I was seeing it rise to between 5GB and 11GB of RAM with no tokens and with LOS disabled. This was level 1 and level 2 for me in DOTMM. Just launching the 5E ruleset in FGU was around 1.2GB RAM. I closed all maps and left it running overnight and it shows just over 1GB of RAM usage.

Pathfinder Second Edition -- Fall of PlagueStone ***(COMPLETE)*** --- 8 / 8 maps done.
    Last edited by FG_Dave; January 10th, 2020 at 11:37.
    David Middleton
    SmiteWorks USA, LLC

Links:
    Fantasy Grounds: https://www.fantasygrounds.com
    Fantasy Grounds Forums: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/community/
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/fantasygrounds
    Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Fantasygrounds/posts
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/fantasygrounds2
    Fantasy Grounds Wishlist: FG Wish List - https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    "The RAM usage got better but still can get high over time. When you do not have much RAM but already want to do some maps within the actual version of FGU then do not choose big maps as the ones from DotMM. After some working I often had around 23 GB for such big maps and had to quit FGU after some while to make sure that my work get saved before it crashes Turning LoS off while working on it increases performance."

Question while I'm busily plugging away at memory usage for the maps, did you have any tokens or visible shortcuts on the map while you were editing LOS? Thanks.
    I only added the LoS walls, so no tokens and other stuff on it (but I am not sure about what you mean with visible shortcuts; I probably didn't have this, only opened map and edited the LoS walls without adding something else on the map) The RAM increases after more walls and nodes are added and this also seems to be dependent on how many nodes were already added on the map. The already-existing nodes do not increase the RAM usage on start but they seem to affect how much the RAM usage increases when I edit the LoS Especially zooming in and out seems to increase it while panning over the map was working good without too much increase (when I remember it correctly)

Thanks for your work

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Kelrugem. I was able to track down a number of memory leaks with the image control. Once it is pushed in a new build, memory usage should be stable during LOS editing and most map operations. There are still a couple of holes to plug, but they shouldn't be very impactful during typical map usage.

Thread Information