5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Rotating Objects

So, here's a question.

As you can see from the attached image the artist (and I know who he is and will be having a word with him) has decided to draw the bed at a 45 degree angle. This is unacceptable and I want it to be at 90 degrees to the wall. Is it possible to rotate the object in order to achieve this? I have tried every combination of mouse and keyboard that I can think of to no avail. Grabbing a corner and moving the object either shrinks or expands it rather than rotating. I also tried to change the rotation angle in the rotation angle box but it would appear that this only accepts values in multiples of 90 (is this expected behaviour, by the way?).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

After placing and returning to Layers->Selection submode, you should be able to select layer and rotate using buttons or Shift + Left/Right arrow keys. The buttons in Image Data Control are currently incorrectly rotating 90 degrees and in reverse; but will be fixed to match Shift + arrow key behavior.

We call the top bar the Modes toolbar, and the second bar the Submodes toolbar.
    Within Layers mode, there are two submodes: Selection (arrow cursor graphic), and Stamp (inkstamp graphic).
    When one or more layers are selected, they will have a bounding box of white square dots around it, as in your picture.

If you click rotate in Layers->Stamp submode, it assumes you want to rotate the graphic, before you stamp the next one.

Regards,
    JPG

Ah, ok. I was able to rotate with the buttons and I did discover the Shift + arrow keys; but that goes in 45 or 90 degree jumps. What I was asking (not very clearly obviously) was whether there is the possibility of rotating more finely than that; like you can move objects left, right or up, down by pixels using the CTRL+Arrow keys can objects be rotated in a similar fashion. I'm guessing not.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The third toolbar area is called the attributes toolbar.

For the Layer version of the attribute toolbar, there's a grid snap toggle in the lower right. If toggled the rotation, the rotation should occur in 1-degree increments, instead of based on grid shape. Also, the Control key should invert the grid snap toggle for that operation.

So, if you try Control+Shift+Left/Right Arrow, you should get what you are looking for.

JPG

Ah, ha. I forgot about the grid snap. I’ll look into that tomorrow. Cheers JPG.

EDIT: And, yes. CTRL+SHIFT+Left/Right Arrow does indeed rotate by small degrees.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; August 15th, 2019 at 10:59.

I guess I need to work on a wiki instructional page for the new image data control.

JPG

So for those following here's the keys I've discovered that work on objects on a map (select the object first obviously by clicking on the layer on the right hand menu)

Left/Right/Up/Down Arrow - Move object by 1 grid square in arrow direction
    CTRL+Arrow Key - Move object by 1 pixel in arrow direction
    SHIFT+ Up/Down arrow key - Increase/Decrease object size
    SHIFT + Left/Right Arrow key - Rotate object in 45 degree increments
    CTRL+SHIFT+Left/Right Arrow key - Rotate object by 1 pixel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    the artist has decided to draw the bed at a 45 degree angle. This is unacceptable and I want it to be at 90 degrees to the wall.
    Coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Coffee?
    LOL.

The artist is, and has been, part of my adventuring group since he was 12

Yes, the general premise that I'm going for on shortcut keys is:
    * Unmodified shortcut keys apply primary behavior (movement for arrow keys, etc.)
    * SHIFT modified shortcut keys apply alternate behavior (depends on mode/submode)
    * CONTROL modified shortcut keys usually apply grid snap override (move 1 pixel <-> move 1 grid square, etc.)

All of these features "should" be available via the image data control as well; and the shortcut keys should just be ways to quickly adjust for people who like shortcut keys.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information