STAR TREK 2d20

Fantasy Grounds Crashing When Loading Any Campaign

Hi, I've been having trouble for the last few days. FG appears to load, I sit that the loading screen for quite a long time, and then it just closes. No messages or pop ups.

I'm running Windows 10 Home, 10.0.18362 Build 18362 on an Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz. I've got an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. My system is the host. I've got everything but Windows Defender currently disabled.

I've followed the steps in a few other threads like this. So I've uninstalled and re-installed both the main EXE files, and then FG entirely. I've updated my video card drivers to the latest.

My console.log file doesn't seem to have much info:
    Code:
    [13.08.2019 23:49:58] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
    [13.08.2019 23:49:58] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM
    [13.08.2019 23:49:59] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting
    [13.08.2019 23:50:05] Runtime Notice: Refreshing alias
    [13.08.2019 23:50:06] Runtime Notice: Alias refresh result = Success
    [13.08.2019 23:50:06] Runtime Notice: Host session started
    The only clue I've got is that I'm getting an application error in my Windows Logs. That log reports:
    Code:
    Faulting application name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d30f77f
    Faulting module name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d30f77f
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Let me know if there's anything else I can provide. And thanks for any help! I really appreciate it because I'm stuck at the moment.

Blog Entries
    How many images/tokens do you have in your <FG Data>/tokens folder?
    Also, watch your Task Manager / process size, how large does it grow to be before crashing?
    Does this happen in new campaigns?
    Does it happen in all rulesets?
    Are you using any extensions?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Medriza View Post
    Hi, I've been having trouble for the last few days. FG appears to load, I sit that the loading screen for quite a long time, and then it just closes.
    Is this when you're loading a campaign? Or do you never get to that point?

If the issue is while loading a campaign, then try creating a brand new campaign with the ruleset you're using - no extensions or themes, just the ruleset. And see if that loads up? If it does, then it will be something up with your existing campaign - maybe too many library modules, or other resources loaded.

If a brand new campaign with no extensions enabled doesn't load, then what have you changed recently? Have you added any tokens to the <Fg app data>\tokens directory, for example?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It happens in old campaigns we've been playing for a while. I did a test by creating a new PF2RPG campaign and it exhibited the same behavior. BUT...I just recently added a LOT of new tokens to the Host token directory. (We started a Star Wars game, so I used the token tool to create a lot of tokens. And I still have the ton of tokens I use for the regular Fantasy and Cthulhu games...) Could that really be it? I'll try to do a quick move of the tokens out of there and see if that corrects.

Quote Originally Posted by Medriza View Post
    BUT...I just recently added a LOT of new tokens to the Host token directory. (We started a Star Wars game, so I used the token tool to create a lot of tokens. And I still have the ton of tokens I use for the regular Fantasy and Cthulhu games...) Could that really be it?
    Yep. FG loads all tokens from those directories into memory - and the bigger they are, the more memory they will take (and FG doesn't do well with too many large tokens - width x height in pixels). If you have a lot of tokens, and most of them are more than 300x300, then this will be the issue - FG will be running out of memory and crashing.

The recommendation is to: 1) Reduce token sizes. 2) Put them in token modules - with different modules having different themes. Then you can activate only the token modules you need, when you need them.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It worked!!! I dumped all but a minimal amount of tokens and it loaded up perfectly now. As a matter of fact, I had noticed that it was loading slower and slower over the last few months. I'm assuming the tokens put a large strain on that. Would it best to use tokens in modules rather than in the main token directory?

Also, thank you guys so much. For the umpteenth time now. Damned, Trenloe, and Lord Entrails, you guys always swoop in to save the day. You know I love you guys, but I don't think you know how much. An uncomfortable amount, that's how much...

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The recommendation is to: 1) Reduce token sizes. 2) Put them in token modules - with different modules having different themes. Then you can activate only the token modules you need, when you need them.
    Got it! Modules sounds the like the way to go. Especially since a lot of my tokens don't even apply the all the games I play. Thanks again!

Glad it's fixed and you can play again!

Thread Information