5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/JobS...threading.html

What is multithreading?

In a single-threaded computing system, one instruction goes in at a time, and one result comes out at a time. The time to load and complete programs depends on the amount of work you need the CPU to do.

Multithreading is a type of programming that takes advantage of a CPU’s capability to process many threads at the same time across multiple cores. Instead of tasks or instructions executing one after another, they run simultaneously.

One thread runs at the start of a program by default. This is the “main thread”. The main thread creates new threads to handle tasks. These new threads run in parallel to one another, and usually synchronize their results with the main thread once completed.

This approach to multithreading works well if you have a few tasks that run for a long time. However, game development code usually contains many small instructions to execute at once. If you create a thread for each one, you can end up with many threads, each with a short lifetime. That can push the limits of the processing capacity of your CPU and operating system.

It is possible to mitigate the issue of thread lifetime by having a pool of threads. However, even if you use a thread pool, you are likely to have a large number of threads active at the same time. Having more threads than CPU cores leads to the threads contending with each other for CPU resources, which causes frequent context switching as a result. Context switching is the process of saving the state of a thread part way through execution, then working on another thread, and then reconstructing the first thread, later on, to continue processing it. Context switching is resource-intensive, so you should avoid the need for it wherever possible.

----------

So thats copypasta from the Unity Manual.

The network code has to be threaded and that is the case even with the current FG. otherwise, every time something was being transferred to a user the UI would freeze. (Or the UI is on a separate thread but that is unlikely because the current FG does have pauses in its UI on occasion)

Ok thanks to all of you for the replies. This thread was helpful.
    I have an 8700K which is watercooled and overclocked to 4.9ghz.
    I also have 32 gigs of Corsair PC3200 memory
    A 256g M.2 drive for windows, 2 -500 gig Samsung Evo 850s for games/Fantasy grounds, a 6 terrbyt platter drive for all things that are storage (Ive directed windows to store, downloads, pictures and general storage here.
    In addition I have an Nvidia gtx 1080.
    I have one 27" monitor which is 1080p but I agree having 2 monitors for FG is useful so I am going to get the LG 31.5" (2560 x 1440) freesync monitor. I am not sure if it will fit where I park everything. I may need a bigger deskspace.

This engine that the team has made is amazing. I did like Roll20 but I should have migrated here last year! I learn stuff everyday. My next 'learning' thing is to figure what the pins are on the maps for Hellknights module and how they work. I think they are for encounters. I will keep plowing thru FG 'official' videos.

Has anyone posted a video using FG and running the new Hell Knight module?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    I have an 8700K which is watercooled and overclocked to 4.9ghz. ...
    FYI, you have a computer better than 99.9999%(give or take a few percent!) of all FG users No need to worry about upgrading anytime this decade

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    I have an 8700K which is watercooled and overclocked to 4.9ghz.
    I also have 32 gigs of Corsair PC3200 memory
    A 256g M.2 drive for windows, 2 -500 gig Samsung Evo 850s for games/Fantasy grounds, a 6 terrbyt platter drive for all things that are storage (Ive directed windows to store, downloads, pictures and general storage here.
    In addition I have an Nvidia gtx 1080.
    I have one 27" monitor which is 1080p but I agree having 2 monitors for FG is useful so I am going to get the LG 31.5" (2560 x 1440) freesync monitor. I am not sure if it will fit where I park everything. I may need a bigger deskspace.

This engine that the team has made is amazing. I did like Roll20 but I should have migrated here last year! I learn stuff everyday. My next 'learning' thing is to figure what the pins are on the maps for Hellknights module and how they work. I think they are for encounters. I will keep plowing thru FG 'official' videos.

Has anyone posted a video using FG and running the new Hell Knight module?
    Envious drooling and whimpering .. similar to what happens when a Ferrari blast past my little Ford on the road

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    This approach to multithreading works well if you have a few tasks that run for a long time. However, game development code usually contains many small instructions to execute at once. If you create a thread for each one, you can end up with many threads, each with a short lifetime. That can push the limits of the processing capacity of your CPU and operating system.

That description isn't really apt for FG. This isn't an FPS. The number of instructions for FG are not in the same ballpark as a FPS. It would more than likely be small number of short tasks or long term short number of tasks. Even with full 3D you're not going to have multiplayer fast action requiring a lot of positional detection, hit boxes, ray casting, projectile tracking and the like. More than likely you'll have one (few?) player moving and generating fog/shadows at most.

Assuming they use "Unity Jobs", which manages all this, it'll have multithread support.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That doesn't jive with the quote from their own(Unity) site above.

The Unity C# Job System lets you write simple and safe multithreaded code that interacts with the Unity Engine for enhanced game performance.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    That doesn't jive with the quote from their own(Unity) site above.
    Maybe that's part of Carl's statement: "It's slightly more complex than I'm presenting, but that is the short version." If you weren't aware, Carl is the main FG Unity developer. Or maybe something's changed since Carl's made that statement. Whether that has changed the FG Unity design (that's been ongoing for many years) remains to be seen...

What this illustrates is that we can talk around the houses and make all sorts of assumptions about what's possible, or not possible, or should or shouldn't be done etc.. But unless a FG Unity developer gives us feedback as to what is actually being done/has been done in FG Unity, then all we're doing is speculating.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What this illustrates is that we can talk around the houses and make all sorts of assumptions about what's possible, or not possible, or should or shouldn't be done etc.. But unless a FG Unity developer gives us feedback as to what is actually being done/has been done in FG Unity, then all we're doing is speculating.
    You are absolutely correct. That's why I said "Assuming they use "Unity Jobs", which manages all this, it'll have multithread support.". "They" being the fellas working on FGU.

I'm just anxious for December.
    ---

Thread Information