Joshua Stream Pre
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Effects

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldtaar View Post
    Are the default Effect just flags to help the GM keep of affects, or is there any automation behind them?

    Would be nice to have a tooltip popup with a description on the effect and a field to add some description text when creating s custom effects.
    Im adding Altitude sickness I-III Effect for my next High n Dry adventure
    Hi,

    They're just flags atm. I've tried to get some Gravity effects automated, I'll try and finish that soon.

    I like the idea of the tooltip, not sure where you can enter the description as that's not part of FG.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  2. #12
    Good day
    What modifiers work at the moment, except for the characteristics modifiers (DEX +1 and so on) in items and MD button?

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Serg Barbeau View Post
    Good day
    What modifiers work at the moment, except for the characteristics modifiers (DEX +1 and so on) in items and MD button?
    Hi Serg,

    From the effects list, Fatigued and Fire currently work. Poison will at some point when I've had the time to work out how best to state it.

    Other mods are the desktop which should all work with almost everything, and now you had Mod fields within actions.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Serg,

    From the effects list, Fatigued and Fire currently work. Poison will at some point when I've had the time to work out how best to state it.

    Other mods are the desktop which should all work with almost everything, and now you had Mod fields within actions.

    Cheers,
    MBM
    Hi, MBM
    How it works?
    Desktop Modifers -Bonuses and Penalties work, but how do I write custom modifiers? What keywords do you use? "+1 Aim", as written in bonuses, does not work.
    The same applies to Desktop Effects. An effect "DEX +1" applied to a character has no effect when checked.
    If custom effects can be purely informative, then custom modifiers should definitely work, otherwise I don't see the point in them
    Last edited by Serg Barbeau; November 18th, 2020 at 10:51. Reason: I couldn't formulate it right away

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Not sure how that could work, you saying (for example) drag Leadership effect to a group of characters (that bit is fine) and it expires that round, or drag the effect onto the char with Leadership and at the start of each round it makes the roll and applies the effect to the group, though what happens is two characters have the effect?
    So I've been thinking about this - I use Effects in Pathfinder and Savage Worlds pretty extensively. Leadership and Tactics are definitely things that floated to the surface as a potential place to automate in Traveller. But the problem I have is that RAW doesn't specify when the boons and banes granted by the leader should be used. More specifically when the bane is used, which roll it is used on. Because there's a lot of Referee and Player decision making involved this is a hard one to solve with automation. One option would be to use something like with the PF2e (and other) effect systems - the leader rolls the leadership/tactics roll and determines Effect and then assigns X bane/boon effects to the other Travellers. That enters the CT as Off, Action, Start, 1 round. - not on, removed on an action roll when on, rounds reduced at the Start of a turn, only valid for 1 round...

    Here's an example from PF2e:

    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 11.42.48 AM.png

    This would mean that the Referee or Player would have to toggle it on for it to apply, but it's present in the CT for book keeping...

    I also use a lot of effects in PF2e that have no automation on them just as a note to players or myself.

  6. #16
    Hi All,

    Automation for some things is just a headache at this time. High Guard is adding more rules to the system, and Traveller Companion even more. Once those rules are catered for, I'd be keen to really develop the bells and whistles especially around CT's. For the moment I use a note pad, but if something can be made that fits nicely then I'll code it in (assuming it's not a 2 week job).

    So let's think about how Tactics and Leadership be automated. I like the above idea that the leader can assign the effects, so let me think about that one.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi All,

    Automation for some things is just a headache at this time. High Guard is adding more rules to the system, and Traveller Companion even more. Once those rules are catered for, I'd be keen to really develop the bells and whistles especially around CT's. For the moment I use a note pad, but if something can be made that fits nicely then I'll code it in (assuming it's not a 2 week job).

    So let's think about how Tactics and Leadership be automated. I like the above idea that the leader can assign the effects, so let me think about that one.

    Cheers,
    MBM
    The easiest and bug-free way to make the "INIT +1" keyword work in desktop effects, as implemented in DnD

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Serg Barbeau View Post
    The easiest and bug-free way to make the "INIT +1" keyword work in desktop effects, as implemented in DnD
    Yes, but INIT +1 doesn't really apply here, there's not a lot that gives +1 INIT. It's the effect of the Tactics roll that is then applied to all players. Leadership gives boons/banes based on the effect. So yes, we could add +1 through +6 to the effects for INIT, that's a lot of buttons, when you could just use the iMod and enter 2 in there.

    Cheers,
    MBM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
FG Spreadshirt Swag

Log in

Log in