STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Not sure where to post this.. so please move if needed.

Greetings folks,

I am rather excited about the release of P2. I was originally going to resub my roll20 account. I had waffled a lot over each product and had started with Roll20 and just decided to stick with it.

Until..... I heard on the Paizo site that FG is being rebuilt in a new engine (Unity). I have so many questions which hopefully someone can answer. Keep in mind my #1 reason why I did not go with FG originally was the fact it was an older engine and some threads mentioned lag which I wanted to reduce. I am ready with CC in hand folks...

• Will the Unity Engine be 64 bit and support PC's that have more memory to spare?
    • I see I missed the kickstarter. The prime reason for this post is >>Can I still get the product now or will I have to wait?
    • If I can still purchase it can someone direct me to where I can?
    • I purchased my books on amazon, but I think Ill need them on FG, will I have to purchase them all over again at full price?
    • Will dynamic lighting similar to Roll20 be available with the Ultimate licence?

Again I did not know where to go for info so move this thread as needed.

Thanks again!

1. Yes Unity will be 64 bit
    2. No, you've missed it unfortunately
    3. See 2
    4. This will depend on what you want to do and how much you want to input yourself. See this post for more information https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e
    5. Best watch the videos on the KS page here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-grounds-unity, Basically what we will have is dynamic line of sight, which in a dungeon is the same as dynamic lighting.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Did you look at all the videos on the Kickstarter to see what's planned for the initial release? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ty/description

You can purchase a permanent license now, and there may be a small upgrade fee when the FGU comes out. Or you could get a subscription now, and it will automatically upgrade when FGU is released.

But definitely start with the videos and the FAQ on the Kickstarter page.

Blog Entries
    Yes, FGU is 64 bit.

There is no FGU product to get yet. For those on the KS who paid extra they are expected to get an alpha release, with bugs and all, next week (or so). For those who pledged on the KS, they will get access to the beta build sometime before December, but we don't know when.
    And, FGU itself is expected to be production released in December, but exact date, details, cost for not KS people, is still unknown

You can purchase current FG (i.e. FGC) now via the store link above, you will not be able to purchase FGU until it is released, circa December this year.

You don't have to buy anything in FG other than the license. You can buy the FG versions if you find them useful (most of us do) or you can manually create your own reference books or just enter what you need when you need it. They FG versions are not full price, they are roughly half price but their are no discounts for owning the hardcover versions. See this post for more info on what you "need" (though be aware it is writtenin terms of 5E); https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e Also note that when you buy a FG version of a Paizo product, you get the Paizo PDF for free (or get a discount of the PDF price fromt he FG product), but that assumes your purchases qualify on the Paizo store, which I believe Amazon does not.

You can see demo's of FGU dynamic lighting on the kickstarter page. There are 2 relevant to LOS demo's. Imo it will be much more useful than Roll20's dynamic lightning (given the terrain feature blockers) but will not yet have light sources.

I would suggest you consider FG now, and then get the upgrade when FGU comes out. Plus if PF2 is your driving factor, no point in investing elsewhere if FG is what you see as superior in the near term (end of year).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes, FGU is 64 bit.

There is no FGU product to get yet. For those on the KS who paid extra they are expected to get an alpha release, with bugs and all, next week (or so). For those who pledged on the KS, they will get access to the beta build sometime before December, but we don't know when.
    And, FGU itself is expected to be production released in December, but exact date, details, cost for not KS people, is still unknown

You can purchase current FG (i.e. FGC) now via the store link above, you will not be able to purchase FGU until it is released, circa December this year.

You don't have to buy anything in FG other than the license. You can buy the FG versions if you find them useful (most of us do) or you can manually create your own reference books or just enter what you need when you need it. They FG versions are not full price, they are roughly half price but their are no discounts for owning the hardcover versions. See this post for more info on what you "need" (though be aware it is writtenin terms of 5E); https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e Also note that when you buy a FG version of a Paizo product, you get the Paizo PDF for free (or get a discount of the PDF price fromt he FG product), but that assumes your purchases qualify on the Paizo store, which I believe Amazon does not.

You can see demo's of FGU dynamic lighting on the kickstarter page. There are 2 relevant to LOS demo's. Imo it will be much more useful than Roll20's dynamic lightning (given the terrain feature blockers) but will not yet have light sources.

I would suggest you consider FG now, and then get the upgrade when FGU comes out. Plus if PF2 is your driving factor, no point in investing elsewhere if FG is what you see as superior in the near term (end of year).

^^^ You folks are the best salesmen. I was going to get Fantasy grounds a while back but some of the threads here mentioned how hard the learning curve is. Some of the you tubers sold me initially on Fantasy grounds one guy was avid roll20 but now uses FG. Tomorrow is release day. Looking forward to what folks think.

A real important question.. If i purchase the Fantasy grounds version of the new P2 stuff including the ap will these be Unity compatible? Meaning I wont have to repurchase it because its a new engine right?
    Last edited by Larsenex; July 31st, 2019 at 21:54.

Yes, all DLC, rulesets etc will be compatible with Unity and you won't need to repurchase anything.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    A real important question.. If i purchase the Fantasy grounds version of the new P2 stuff including the ap will these be Unity compatible? Meaning I wont have to repurchase it because its a new engine right?
    The Unity client itself will be a separate purchase, which is why this close to release I see a lot of people just recommending the subscription for a few months then cancel and buy the Unity client.

DLC however is compatible across the board with both Fantasy Grounds Classic and Unity. Buy it once and it works on both.

I was thinking of purchasing outright the Ultimate Licence. I realize I will pay more to get unity but will someone in marketing be sending emails out to folks saying, 'Hey we noticed you own the original recipie FG liscence, for $$$ you can upgrade it to Unity, would you like to do that"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    I was thinking of purchasing outright the Ultimate Licence. I realize I will pay more to get unity but will someone in marketing be sending emails out to folks saying, 'Hey we noticed you own the original recipie FG liscence, for $$$ you can upgrade it to Unity, would you like to do that"
    We don't know. The KS had upgrade tiers based on how long you had owned it. The less time you had owned it, the less you paid for the upgrade. I suspect that a similar approach will be taken. But, can't guaranteed anything. I suspect that the cutoff/time frame for production release will be based upon if you bought your FGC license before or after the Kickstarter. But *shrugs*

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of emails and publicity around the full launch of FG Unity to the general public.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information