DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Players cannot connect to my hosted game, and Connection test failure

I started hosting a game of 4 players several months ago, and up until last Thursday, have always been able to connect and play. There was an update I ran for Fantasy grounds last Thursday, and out of the 4 players, only my wife could connect, as she is the only one using the same internet local connection side by side in our home.

After trying to test the connection on the Fantasy grounds launch screen and having it fail each time, I have been scouring these message boards and trying all the things I can find to try and make it work. So far I have not been successful. Here is what I have done so far: Please note: I do NOT have a router, so have done nothing with regard to that. I have a modem that was provided for me by my Spectrum cable internet service. I live in Central Florida.

I have uninstalled my Avast software, and am only using Windows Defender. In Windows Defender, I have gone into the Advanced settings and inbound rules, deleting all references to Fantasy Grounds (I believe there were 3 of them). I then added the Fantasy Grounds, Fantasy Grounds update engine, and Fantasy Grounds updater, setting all 3 to Private. I then made a new port rule, setting it as TCP, checking the Domain, Private, and Public boxes, choosing Local Port 1802, and describing it as Port 1802 for Fantasy Grounds.

I tried disconnecting my Express VPN and ran the Fantasy Grounds connection test, and again it failed. So I connected it, and in the options I changed to protocol to TCP. I ran the connection test again and again, a no go.

I have also checked with whatismyip.com and with and without the Express VPN connected, the internal and external ip addresses DO match what is found on the Fantasy Grounds loading page. On that page it shows as an IPV4 number. When I ran the program (can't remember the name) where you put in the port number and see it is is recognized, it is never recognized. I always get a timed out error.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fantasy Grounds, but still no luck.

My network setting is set to private.
    My local IP address is 192.168.0.4
    I was using both a wired internet connection and Wifi, and had no issues, but since being told I should be only using one while playing, I only have a wired connection now.
    In my Network and Sharing Center, I have it set to private.
    I am only using Windows Defender as my firewall and have set the FantasyGrounds, Fantasy GroundsUpdater, and FGUpdaterEngine .exe's as exceptions.
    Here are the results of my tracert 8.8.8.8:

1 4 ms 3 ms 4 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 24 ms 18 ms 11 ms 10.234.160.1
    3 13 ms 17 ms 12 ms 72-31-66-236.net.bhntampa.com [72.31.66.236]
    4 21 ms 22 ms 22 ms bundle-ether25.orld08-car1.bhn.net [71.46.12.17]
    5 27 ms 26 ms 22 ms ten0-2-0-0.orld71-car1.bhn.net [97.69.194.8]
    6 22 ms 18 ms 18 ms 72-31-188-170.net.bhntampa.com [72.31.188.170]
    7 18 ms 32 ms 23 ms bu-ether44.tustca4200w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.128]
    8 37 ms 35 ms 40 ms bu-ether18.atlngamq47w-bcr01.tbone.rr.com [66.109.1.72]
    9 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms 107.14.19.19
    10 27 ms 27 ms 36 ms ix-ae-14-0.tcore1.a56-atlanta.as6453.net [64.86.113.37]
    11 35 ms 38 ms 38 ms 64.86.113.106
    12 32 ms 37 ms 30 ms 108.170.249.65
    13 30 ms 27 ms 33 ms 108.170.225.107
    14 32 ms 38 ms 28 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

I am a backer of the new Fantasy Ground Unity coming soon. If for some reason I cannot get this resolved, will that new engine solve these connection issues I and others are having? I truly hope so.

Thank you in advance for any assistance that can be given. I love Fantasy Grounds and do not want to have to go to another system to game with my friends.

Ronen

Update: I got off the phone with my internet provider, and was told that they are not blocking any ports on their end.
    Last edited by Grobnur; July 29th, 2019 at 03:57.

Hi Grobnur,

I feel with you. I had problems the last days, too and was not able to trace the real problem but I could find kind of a dirty fix. (I needed to start Fantasy Grounds with another port via flag... but I don't think that this kind of problem is that common.)

I'm not sure if you did check if Fantasy Grounds has opened your port 1802. Are you able to login to your own system by launching another instance of Fantasy Grounds and connect with localhost/127.0.0.1? Or did you check with

Code:
    netstat -aon | findstr /r 1802
    if there is an open port 1802?

If Fantasy Grounds didn't open your port 1802 you could test if it is possible to open FG with another port. Therefore you only need to start FG with flag

Code:
    -p????
    at the end.

I hope your problem can be fixed soon!

Blog Entries
    Your modem is also acting as a basic Router so the things that apply to Routers will also apply to your setup.

Can you login to the modem and check if its WAN or Public or Internet IP matches what FG says it is (do not use your VPN).
    If it doesnt match does it start with 10.?

Can you please find teh Applications or Port Forwarding settings and post a screenshot of what you have there?

Viso- Yes, I am able to connect using localhost just fine. Also, my wife who is on another computer sharing the same modem can also connect. The only ones who can't are those having to use the external ip address.

Damned- I Logged into my modem and the WAN Internet IP does match the one I see in Fantasy grounds. I have my VPN turned off as well.

Last edited by Grobnur; July 30th, 2019 at 02:18.

Blog Entries
    Please show a screenshot of your modem/router port forward settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobnur View Post
    And please show the "Protocols and Ports" tab for this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Don't use Port Triggers - these are not the same as Port Forwarding.

Port Forwarding will be under Virtual Servers/Port...

Select your make and model of router from this page if you need info on how to do port forwarding on your router: https://portforward.com/router.htm
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Definitely remove the Port Trigger and add a proper Port Forward.

Well...forwarding my port in my modem worked. I finally succeeded in my connection test! Thank you so much for working with me on this. I still wish I understood why it worked before without having to jump through all these hoops? Now to test with one of my players and hopefully can get back to playing tomorrow night.

Thread Information