DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

[Extension] 5E Next Level XP Automated and DM Edit Only XP

Hey everyone. I'm posting this extension because we made it live on episode 75 of "All Things Fantasy Grounds Talk Show". DiabloBob and Celestian are the engineers. I am the moron who followed instructions.

It is now available on the DMs Guild for Pay What You Want -- https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315...iate_id=878507

Video - https://youtu.be/gLogLWICYFo

Here's a summary of the extension thus far:

v1.0 - 2019.07.21

The extension auto-updates the "Next Level XP" when a PC levels up. It will also make the XP number itself uneditable by players (only the DM can make changes).

v1.1 - 2019.07.23

Secured the boxes so that dragging a number onto them would not change the values.

v1.2 - 2019.07.28

1. Added a global message when a player's character levels up, and the player hears a 'ding' when the message appears in chat. *a player needs to be logged in and have a character for this to occur*
    2. When the player's character receives experience, the player will see a message providing the current experience total as well as what is needed for the next level. The message also says how many experience points is needed to level. *A player needs to be logged in and have a character for this to occur*
    3. In the options, under 'Game (GM)' there is an option for 'Experience Chart Type'. The default is Standard level 20, options are Standard level 30, and off (which will require the DM to manually enter in the total exp needed). The experience needed box will auto-populate with the appropriate experience totals for the levels and will stop updating the value at the appropriate levels as well. 20 and 30 respectively.

v1.3 - 2019.8.12

Updated so only GM can set chat messages... also put the 2 options for exp chart and exp messaging under Game (GM) still the same setup... "Enable" all messages for Players, "On Level" only when they have enough to level, and "off" - no messages.

Last edited by rob2e; April 9th, 2021 at 18:39. Reason: update file
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Update

Attached is the update that Val from discord server did.

I merged the original and the update. Attached.

~Diablobob
    Last edited by Diablobob; July 28th, 2019 at 05:04.

Blog Entries
    ...and may we know what this update does?
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Sorry... the update fixes a minor issue found, where the player could still drag a number value to the exp needed field and overwrite it... the update fixes it

Does the extension alert the player to the level up or just change the value of the next level? I would hate for someone to miss a level because they dont have the value memorized.

DOH! I am stupid. "PC levels up" means when a player actually levels up.
    Last edited by Dtoad; July 28th, 2019 at 10:33.

This looks great just have one question as I have a campaign I am running right now where we are planning to exceed level 20 using xp values we designed to go to level 30 and beyond if needed. I was just wondering if there is a way to expand the array that these values are pulled from in the GUI or would the best be be to manually enter the extended values each level.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobBat View Post
    This looks great just have one question as I have a campaign I am running right now where we are planning to exceed level 20 using xp values we designed to go to level 30 and beyond if needed. I was just wondering if there is a way to expand the array that these values are pulled from in the GUI or would the best be be to manually enter the extended values each level.
    You can crack open the extension and add the values from 21 to 30.
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Quote Originally Posted by NoobBat View Post
    What xp chart are you using? The one from Epic levels module that Rob converted? Or is there another chart?... I am asking because I could update it later with those options selectable in the options menu, I would just like to know if there is a commonly accepted exp chart...

Currently I’m trying to polish off adding messages when people are able to level...

Here's a summary of the extension thus far:

v1.0 - on 2019.07.21 - Rob2e made the original extension with the assistance of Diablobob and Celestian. The exension auto-updates the "Next Level XP" when a PC levels up. It will also make the XP number itself uneditable by players (only the DM can make changes).

v1.1 - Update by Valeriangamer (on Rob2e's discord server) on 2019.07.23 - Secured the boxes so that dragging a number onto them would not change the values.

v1.2 - Update by Diablobob on 2019.07.28 :
    1. Added a global message when a player's character levels up, and the player hears a 'ding' when the message appears in chat. *a player needs to be logged in and have a character for this to occur*
    2. When the player's character receives experience, the player will see a message providing the current experience total as well as what is needed for the next level. The message also says how many experience points is needed to level. *a player needs to be logged in and have a character for this to occur*
    3. In the options, under 'House Rules' there is an option for 'Experience Chart Type'. The default is Standard level 20, options are Standard level 30, and off (which will require the DM to manually enter in the total exp needed). The experience needed box will auto-populate with the appropriate experience totals for the levels, and will stop updating the value at the appropriate levels as well. 20 and 30 respectively.

Hope you like the updates!
    ~Diablobob

P.S. - I will remove the ext once post 1 has been updated.

Here is the new version of the extension. v1.2 - 7/28/2019
    Last edited by Diablobob; July 29th, 2019 at 17:18.

Awesome! Although I will admit I was wrong about how I assumed the original worked. I thought it changed the next level field when the exp field reached that number, not when the player actually leveled up. I was looking for a problem that was already solved.

Great work! Cant wait for a Huzzah! sound to be triggered by a level up.

Thread Information