DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Map Grid Scaling Incorrectly with Zoom Level

This issue has been plaguing myself and my players for weeks, but I've been unable to find anyone experiencing similar trouble here on the forums or elsewhere.

A brief gif showing the issue:
    https://gfycat.com/glitteringorganicerin

Essentially, the token grid occasionally scales separately from the map at certain zoom levels, especially when viewing the map fully zoomed out. The gif shows that I can continue zooming out even when the map is at max distance, and the token grid continues to scale anyway.

Some maps work just fine, others do not. This map in particular is 2000x2000 pixels at 72 dpi, 731kb in size, which is well within the limits that I've seen other users recommend. The grid size is roughly 35 pixels in the example, but larger or smaller grids do not seem to affect the issue.

The only extensions I am running are the 5e Combat Enhancer, and its dependency, the Core RPG Token Helper. I was previously running an older version of the Combat Enhancer which did not require the token helper, and have had this issue before and after updating.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I love everything else FG has to offer, but this particular issue has made combat particularly unfun and frustrating in the past few weeks.

Hi Glorac. welcome to FG.

The first thing you need to determine is whether this happens in a campaign without any extension. If it doesn't then it is the extension that is the issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That'll be an issue with the layers functionality in Combat Enhancer.

Can you try in a brand new campaign, without Combat Enhancer and the Token Helper extension. But with *only* the Enhanced Layers extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...n-CoreRPG%2529 and the same image you are having issues with. This will help to identify if it's base layers functionality from this extension, or something in Combat Enhancer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The difficulty with either of those approaches is that the issue is inconsistent. For instance, if I make an exact copy of the same image file and re-grid it, it may or may not have the issue.

That being said, I've tried both without extensions and with only the Enhanced Layers extension, both of which seem to work just fine after a dozen attempts or so, which is at the very least far more consistent than with the Combat Enhancer.

I suppose I assumed that since the grid functionality already existed, the extensions wouldn't be modifying it (since it did not seem like they changed it at all). Poor assumption on my part. I suppose this is an issue I should move to the Combat Enhancer thread, then?

Edit: after doing a deep dive, it seems like it may be a resurfacing of this old issue?
    Last edited by Glorac; July 22nd, 2019 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorac View Post
    Edit: after doing a deep dive, it seems like it may be a resurfacing of this old issue?
    That was a very specific issue with small images. From you animation the image you were having issue with was not lower than 500x500 pixels?

I’m not ruling anything out. And it’s certainly possible that something similar is happening, but for different reasons. I couldn’t tell from your animation, but did the grid on he underlying layers offset from the grid where the tokens were, or did they move off in sync across all three layers?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The visible grid and the tokens seem to disconnect, with the tokens moving off into their own "grid" as the map is zoomed out. It seems like whatever is handling token scaling doesn't recognize when the map has hit max "zoomed out," and the tokens continue scaling beyond the visible grid.

The visible grid and the tokens seem to disconnect, with the tokens moving off into their own "grid" as the map is zoomed out. It seems like whatever is handling token scaling doesn't recognize when the map has hit max "zoomed out," and the tokens continue scaling beyond the visible grid.
    This is due to the 3 layers. What happened before was that for some reason the top (play) layer where the tokens are had a different size (as far as FG was concerned) to the lower two layers. Thus, when zooming out, the two lower layers hit their maximum size, but the top layer appears to have a different size (for whatever reason) and so you could keep zooming out on just that layer.

So, I don't think it's linked to token scaling (but I won't rule it out). On the map where you have the issue, you could try releasing token scale and see if that makes a difference.

The one way I can recreate this is to "expand" the drawing size on the top layer - from the right-click menu on the image (when on the top layer), select "Drawing" -> "Expand Drawing" and then expand in a couple of directions. This, as it has changed the size of the top layer, results in the grid, and any tokens, zooming out further than the lower layers (as they haven't been resized) - resulting in the tokens and grid getting smaller - with the tokens moving towards the top left.

Can you remember if you may have done anything like this (expanded the image) on the image you had an issue with?

I haven't. Every occurrence of this has been -> brand new image, add grid, add tokens, and issue occurs. No drawings or extra manipulation. I can't even consistently recreate the issue with the same image file (or other ones for that matter), so I'm at a loss for pinpointing the cause of it.

Also, poor wording on my part: "token scaling" is it's own thing, I meant something more along the lines of an apparent separation between the visible grid and whatever grid holds the tokens in alignment, since the tokens don't just "shrink," they also shift as though they were on an invisible grid being zoomed out.

they also shift as though they were on an invisible grid being zoomed out.
    Can we confirm exactly what is happening please. Do you see a grid move with the tokens (but the original grid still stays)? Or do you just see the tokens move? This is important, as it might point to what's affecting the issue. Whenever I've seen this before, the top level grid will also move - pointing towards different image layer sizes. But if the grid doesn't move, just the tokens, then it could be something else.

What size images (width x height in pixels) are you using?

Also, are you using any theme? I ask, because I saw an issue in the past where the theme meant that the layer dimensions were slightly different, and that caused the mismatch between layer sizes.

I have seen both. The demonstration I linked in the original post includes a second grid shifting with the tokens as they continue to scale out, but in my latest recreation of the issue there is no additional grid, just the tokens continuing to scale separately. I have never touched FG extensions before, but I do a fair amount of coding, so I understand the absolute pain that inconsistent bugs are. I've tried everything I can think of to consistently recreate the issue, but the circumstances seem completely random from my end.

The map image that I've been using is 2000px by 2000px, 731kb. Each of the tokens are 500px by 500px, 236kb.

I am using "5E Theme - Wizards."

Here is the original video from the gif I posted above. It should have a bit more detail to it. You can see the second grid moving with the tokens here.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=15R...yar1V2-4PITNPc

Thread Information