Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Looking for a 5e campaign that starts at Level NINE or TEN

Cause I really want to reach those Level 14 benefits.
    I want to play a sorcerer (Draconic or Favored Soul) just so I can get WINGS! I don't want a one shot, but a campaign that goes to 15 or 16. I have never ever played to those levels.

Any DMs up to this? Probably not, but this is the forum to ask.

I'm hoping to tempt you with something different
    Last edited by Vos; July 21st, 2019 at 04:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    I don't want a one shot, but a campaign that goes to 15 or 16. I have never ever played to those levels.

Any DMs up to this? Probably not, but this is the forum to ask.

I'm hoping to tempt you with something different
    Hello, I just signed up for Fantasy Grounds and saw your post. I've been playing and DMing D&D since 1E and have been looking to get back in to DMing. I have a set of 1E adventures that were designed for levels 15-100 and can easily be a campaign that will keep you and others busy for a while. I've modified the content so the monster stats are 5E and I've moved the time frame up to 1490's DR in the Forgotten Realms so it is current with 5E history of the realms. You would definitely be starting at no less than level 10 after doing the level conversion between editions. For background TSR created this series to showcase play at near epic levels and to introduce leadership/rulership as part of game play. As you rise in level you will be commanding armies of mercenaries (or subjects) and running an economy in addition to going out on epic adventures against high level enemies.

If you're interested in the concept please reply. I'll do a crash course in the Fantasy Grounds platform and also try to recruit more players. 4-6 would be ideal but I'm used to juggling lots of henchmen if we have less than that.

I would be interested in something like this.
    I've played 5e for a few years, but never seemed to be able to get past level 10 as of yet.
    I just joined fantasy grounds to see what is available, so I don't have any activity here, but you can see I'm active on roll20: https://app.roll20.net/users/397078/lyrian
    I'm definitely interest in the 1e concept since I've never played modules from that before!
    Let me know what you guys decide, and possible timing.

Thanks for the reply Lyrian. I'll reach out to everyone who responds on this thread personally before making a LFG post once I have everything settled. From the tutorial videos I've seen it doesn't appear to be that complex to use. I've scanned and converted all of the paper modules to Word and made slight story tweaks there. From a FG perspective it looks like all I need to do is just create some encounters and get proficient with running those rather than spend a lot of time on the whole system.

Awesome. I'm personally more fan of "Theater of the Mind", so I usually prefer these platforms to more facilitate battles if anything.

I often find DMs get stuck trying to move people around or use visual queues on the map for exploration and role play, and it never seems to work, and slows down the game in general.

If you're able to explain everything clearly then we are good to go honestly.
    Plus I love to roll my own physical dice rather than in game, so I guess that's just what the DM will allow at that point!

I would love to try something like this. Depending on play times. Count me in if there is room.

Quote Originally Posted by dearestleader View Post
    Hello, I just signed up for Fantasy Grounds and saw your post. I've been playing and DMing D&D since 1E and have been looking to get back in to DMing. I have a set of 1E adventures that were designed for levels 15-100 and can easily be a campaign that will keep you and others busy for a while. I've modified the content so the monster stats are 5E and I've moved the time frame up to 1490's DR in the Forgotten Realms so it is current with 5E history of the realms. You would definitely be starting at no less than level 10 after doing the level conversion between editions. For background TSR created this series to showcase play at near epic levels and to introduce leadership/rulership as part of game play. As you rise in level you will be commanding armies of mercenaries (or subjects) and running an economy in addition to going out on epic adventures against high level enemies.

If you're interested in the concept please reply. I'll do a crash course in the Fantasy Grounds platform and also try to recruit more players. 4-6 would be ideal but I'm used to juggling lots of henchmen if we have less than that.
    YES. I would be very interested!

Quote Originally Posted by lyrian View Post
    Awesome. I'm personally more fan of "Theater of the Mind", so I usually prefer these platforms to more facilitate battles if anything.

I often find DMs get stuck trying to move people around or use visual queues on the map for exploration and role play, and it never seems to work, and slows down the game in general.

If you're able to explain everything clearly then we are good to go honestly.
    Plus I love to roll my own physical dice rather than in game, so I guess that's just what the DM will allow at that point!

Sounds like we're right on target with our styles. I never got into minatures. My DMs would describe a room and if we wanted to sketch it on graph paper and draw the battle ourselves we could, but there was never any time spent on setting up grids with little figures and running an encounter that way.

As for rolling your own dice there's a way to do it but it's a lot of hassle. The whole party logs into google hangouts or skype and takes an external webcam and focuses it only on their dice rolling mat.

Just some other notes on the campaign so you guys can read up a bit on some components of the series.

There is mass combat among armies. Since this was originally 1E it used the Battlesystem. That was never updated past 2E. Wizards republished it under the Unearthed Arcana in 2015 for people to see and use. I discovered they made an unofficial mass combat system for 5E so we might give that a try. To give you a preview one encounter will be with over 500 orc infantry and whatever army or mercenaries you gather. I don't intend to (unless the party wants it) to setup a detailed visual and move icons around on a map. In the past I've abbreviated it as the enemy sends in 2 squads of 100 goblins each and holds the rest of its force in reserve. Do you send your infantry or Calvary or let them draw closer?

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...ttlesystem.pdf
    https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...at_MCUA_v1.pdf
    Since there are a lot of conversions from 1E things may be under or over powered or be just weird. But that's part of the fun of the game.

Most of the campaign will be storytelling and interacting with NPCs and the "between adventures" or downtime is also an important part of developing relationships with NPCs and future patrons. A example would be working with the mayor and captain of the watch to build new fortifications such as trenches, cheval de frise, or walls to improve the towns defenses. The party would suggest where to place the defenses and then participate by directing your mercenaries to dig trenches or switch your spell casters over to utility spells such as move earth and wall of stone. If you play a spell caster there will be plenty of opportunities to use utility spells outside of combat. You'll need to strike a balance with your spell books and prepared spells depending on whether you're urban adventuring in a safe city, one at the edge of bandit territory, or off in the wilderness.

There will also be the traditional dungeon crawl. Not every situation or boss lair is a army siege scenario. Your mercenary army may accompany you up to a point and hold the perimeter to keep reinforcements from getting into the hide out while you sneak in and deal with the boss or the mission may require so much stealth your army can't accompany you.

All of this is part of the 4 modules we would be using which is why I really love the series. There's a little bit of everything for all types of players and lots of interaction with the local nobility which could lead to lordship with land grants (for you to build a warrior academy or wizard tower) or perhaps even knighthood or even duke or duchess if you help or eliminate the right political players.

I'll set a goal of trying to have something going in the next two weeks. As mentioned before everyone on this thread gets first dibs at joining the table.

What day and time are you thinking?

I'm open to most any day/time right now. My work schedule is very flexible, though I have a few trips upcoming to work around for the game. I'm located on US East Cost (UTC-4). I've got another game I'm tentatively joining as a player on Aug 10 at 1700 local time. What does everyone else's availability look like?

Thread Information