5E Character Create Playlist

Attunement - how to?

I am going in circles trying to find out how to attune characters to a magic item in 5E? Can someone please point me to the answer?

Hi Peter, welcome to FG.

The rules for attunement are in the Dungeon Master's Guide in Chapter 7 > Identifying a Magic Item.

If you mean is there some automatic way that FG handles it or that FG can somehow differentiate between an attuned and unattuned item that doesn't happen.

There is an extension here which does something like that https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nement-Tracker
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks Zacchaeus - so if I equip a character with an item that says attunement required and it doesnt apply the bonus (eg a girdle of giant strength) how do i overcome the attunement to get the effect to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter016 View Post
    Thanks Zacchaeus - so if I equip a character with an item that says attunement required and it doesnt apply the bonus (eg a girdle of giant strength) how do i overcome the attunement to get the effect to work?
    The attunement part is just theatre of the mind - it isn't a mechanical thing. Once it is attuned then in game terms it just works. Unless the item is a weapon or a piece of armour FG won't automatically add in effects. So simply equipping a Belt of Giant Strength won't do anything. You will need to create an effect and apply the effect to the PC on the combat tracker in order for them to gain the benefit. So, if their STR ability score is 16 and they equip a Belt of Hill Giant Strength to make their strength 21 then you'd need an effect STR: 5.

More on effects in the Wiki here and in these videos.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Silly question incoming; I can get the tick option, but how do I get the 'denied' symbol?

More to the point, what separates an attuned item from an unattuned one on FGU? Is it just the 'Requires attunement' line in the Rarity section?

Edit; I answered my own first silly question with more playing around. Tick 3, the rest go red - got it!

Yes, if an item requires attunement it says so on the item.

Cool. I was looking for some sort of tick box but it seems to just be some text.

Here's what I do to handle attunement in fantasy grounds:

Open the item that requires attunement, and change the unidentified item name to match the identified item name.

As long as the item has not been attuned to, leave it as unidentified. It will still function as the base item should while equipped, yet will not bestow any of the real benefits.

Once the character has attuned to said item, go ahead and change it to identified. Now the item will function in it's full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    Here's what I do to handle attunement in fantasy grounds:

Open the item that requires attunement, and change the unidentified item name to match the identified item name.

As long as the item has not been attuned to, leave it as unidentified. It will still function as the base item should while equipped, yet will not bestow any of the real benefits.

Once the character has attuned to said item, go ahead and change it to identified. Now the item will function in it's full capacity.
    This is very clever! I may use it at some point.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thread Information