FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

A little DCC love

It's the Abandoned Silver Mine from DCC 01 rendered at 100 pixels per grid square.

You can grab it here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...e-Missing-Maps

My current plan is to render the maps needed for the Saga of the Dragon Cult (which is DCC 2-17-10-6, in that order).

Here is an early peek at DCC 17, which is really just one big map...

This is how CC+ looks when you're working...

Here it is more fully rendered... This is the starting area.

Last edited by Topdecker; July 17th, 2019 at 03:57.

Blog Entries
    Very cool! DCC 17 was always a favorite of mine.

When creating maps aimed at Fantasy Grounds please try to keep them close to the recommended 2048x2048 pixels in size (4.2 million pixels in total). At 100 pixels per grid square, those dungeon maps look to be at least 3 times larger than that - the one in the top right is nearly 5 times that! Sure, it's OK to load these up in isolation - FG will cope with that, but in an ongoing campaign, with lots of other resources loaded, images this size could put too much of a strain on FG limited resources, hence why there's a recommendation to keep large maps as close to 4.2 million pixels (2048x2048 pixels) as possible.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

They are packaged as JPGs as well - if someone wants to reduce them to 50px per square, that's an option. You can always go lower res - it is pretty hard to go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    Very cool! DCC 17 was always a favorite of mine.
    I haven't run it, but I very much like the layout and writing - and it is one of the most recommended of DCC modules. The map is fairly glorious, though I will have to chunk it down into sections before it will usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    They are packaged as JPGs as well - if someone wants to reduce them to 50px per square, that's an option.
    Well the recommendation's there for a reason. As you're providing the maps in a Fantasy Grounds module (and assuming they are still 100 pixels per grid square in the FG module) I would have thought it would have been best practice to provide them within (or very close to) the Fantasy Grounds recommended image sizes - to minimize the potential issues FG users may encounter. I've mentioned that these files are much larger than is recommended out of courtesy to try to help you give a reliable FG product to your customers. It's up to you if you decide to do anything about it...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Trenloe, I could very easily rattle off a list of several modules in the FG store with maps that are significantly larger than mine (3+ mb in size and larger in all dimensions and multiples of them in each module). I could point over at the map of the Sword Coast which causes my very powerful computer to pause for quite a while when it loads - that map has to be at least 14mb in size, probably a lot more, and while it isn't intended to be shared, it is easily the most demanding image that I've encountered in Fantasygrounds.

But I don't really see the point of it. FGU will be out soon enough and 64-bit access to memory is going to move the image size recommendations up quite a bit. My module is merely forward looking as will be the ones created in the future.

Recommendations are still there for a reason - and we keep stating them. Just because there are the occasional exception (which I also regularly state is OK as an exception) doesn't suddenly mean that the recommendation we've been clearly stating for a number of years is no longer valid.

And, as I frequently state, the main issue is *not* the file size!

Anyway, like I said, it's up to you if you choose to purposefully ignore the recommendations and provide 4 maps that are all way over the recommended size. I just hope that someone buying your way larger than recommended maps, assuming they're designed for Fantasy Grounds (because they come in a Fantasy Grounds module), doesn't have any issues with running out of memory when they're running an involved game with lots of resources.

Regarding FGU: I'm so pleased that you're so forward thinking and are producing products designed for FGU. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I could point over at the map of the Sword Coast which causes my very powerful computer to pause for quite a while when it loads - that map has to be at least 14mb in size, probably a lot more, and while it isn't intended to be shared, it is easily the most demanding image that I've encountered in Fantasygrounds.
    Funny you mention this - the pixel size of this one-off, exception, not meant to be shared map (Sword Coast map), is approx. 20.5 million pixels. Your top right map (4500x4500) is 20.25 million pixels. So, your map, that you intend to be shared to players, is virtually exactly the same pixel size as the map that you call out as a bad example. And you have three others that aren't too far off this size...

But, hey, you've designed all of these for FGU, so everyone who uses them will be fine... Oh, wait, when does FGU come out again?

I'll leave you to it now, sorry for derailing your thread - I thought I was giving some good advice that would be taken as such. But you obviously know best. Good luck!
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 18th, 2019 at 05:16.

FWIW, the Sword Coast map was definitely larger than the dimensions you are stating. Like 10k x 6k pixels or something along those lines. It may have been reduced in size / quality because it was a problem, but it was beastly when I was using the product several years ago. I remember when that product was being updated almost weekly because it evidently needed some help.

Right now it is the middle of month 7. FGU beta is what, month 9 or 10? Certainly 12. I created these maps last year and held on to them waiting for FGU. It's close enough.

Thread Information