5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... Last

5E: Map Indicator for Death (Extended Version)

Most of us have come to know death indicators as an integral part of Fantasy Grounds when playing 5th edition D&D. In the original death indicator extension, the tombstone is placed as soon as the combatant reaches 0 hit points. This can create some confusion in 5E because players are not truly dead until they have failed 3 death saving throws. Furthermore, Fantasy Grounds also uses death saving throws for NPCs when players attack them but does not add the death saving throw controls to the NPC sheets in the combat tracker for GMs. This extension corrects these problems by allowing a GM to configure the death saving throw controls and their functionality for players, non-player characters, and monsters.

Due to the number of features that have been added and the 10,000 word limit here on the forum, this post has been trimmed down considerably. However the ReadMe.pdf file that is provided contains all of the information that this post used to have on how to use and configure the Death Indicator Ex (D.I.E.) extension. I highly recommend downloading it so you will know how to use all of the new and existing features:

Using Death Indicators
    Preset Death Indicators for Player Characters
    Preset Death Indicators for Non-player Characters
    Death Saving Throw Configuration
    Immunity to Death
    Display Settings
    Player and Non-player Character Tokens

Pathfinder 2

Due to request, I will be adding support for PF2 once Trenloe gets the dying functionality in place.

Release Information

Being my first extension, I'd like to thank Celestian for making this available to us, Rob2e and John for introducing me to the modding community here at FG, and to Diablobob for all of the tremendous help he has provided me. A very special thanks goes out to Intruder for the idea of showing blood and tombstones together in addition to all of the testing he has done with me, and to Melborne for the idea of having important NPCs.

This extension has been tested on Fantasy Grounds v3.3.8:

v1.0: Modified Celestian's original code and extended the functionality to take the death saving throws into consideration before placing a tombstone.
    v1.1: Added support for auto-death rolls when the option is turned on. Fixed an issue where FG keeps adding the "stable" effect to the combatant.
    v1.2: Added support for important NPC death saving throws. Fixed tooltip from identifying an unidentified NPC / monster.
    v1.3: Added support for using blood splatter as a death indicator instead of tombstones.
    v2.0: Added support for tokens being used as death indicators and created GUI for death indicator selection.
    v2.1: Added a new link icon / shield, in the combat tracker for important NPCs. Fixed client and host side issues.
    v2.2: Added support for char tokens. We've never used these. So, I was unaware this was a feature.
    v2.3: Char tokens can now be dropped onto the char sheet by GM and will update on the map. Fixed all warnings, and optimized the graphics in the .ext and .mod file.
    v3.0: Added preset death indicators and allowed players to select their own tokens. Fixed a bug where certain token options were removed by accident.
    v3.1: Fixed a bug where the death indicator token was incorrectly rendered for the reference NPC window.
    v3.2: Added support for DiabloBob's Critically Awesome Essentials. Fixed the bug where druid wild shapes were being canceled if the druid took damage.
    v3.3: Added support for DiabloBob's Critically Awesome Essentials. Fixed the bug where shape change effects were being canceled for NPCs.
    v4.0: Added support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect, PC and NPC auto death rolls, and custom NPC tokens. Fixed a bug where the LTDE extension was not displaying the dice tower correctly.
    v4.1: Fixed an issue where the LTDE extension was not displaying the tower correctly when the PC: Preset death indicator option is turned off.
    v4.2: Fixed an issue where NPCs without a token would continue to display a death indicator after being resurrected / healed.
    v4.3: Fixed an issue with the HeroPoints5e extension that was the same as the LTDE ext. Fixed an error that pops up due to problems with the Combat Enhancer. Fixed an error that pops up when a player rotates their token.
    v4.4: Fixed an issue where custom NPC tokens would revert back to their default token upon taking damage if the NPCs are added through the Encounters window.

Download and Install

Download the DeathIndicatorEx.ext and DeathIndicatorEx.mod files. On Windows 7 and up, place the .ext file in the

C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

folder and place the .mod file in the

C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules

folder. If you cannot find these folders, open Fantasy Grounds and click the Settings button near the bottom. The Data Directory will contain the path to the Fantasy Grounds folder that you need to use:

Once you have downloaded the files and installed them into the correct folders, restart Fantasy Grounds and select 5E - Death Indicators (Extended) in the list of extensions for your campaign.

The module is a token module that contains only death indicator tokens. Although it is a .mod file, it does not load like a typical module through the Library. Instead, it loads as a module in the Tokens window by clicking the Modules button. However, the extension will load the token module automatically on startup.

Download the extension and the token module here:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Valerian Stormbreaker; October 3rd, 2019 at 21:06.

Nice. Thanks for your contribution.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Just a thought, but in your illustration, the "Acolyte 1" should be "Dead", not "Unconscious" on the combat tracker...
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Just a thought, but in your illustration, the "Acolyte 1" should be "Dead", not "Unconscious" on the combat tracker...
    That's actually the 5E ruleset not removing the "Unconscious" effect and adding a "Dead" effect. It has nothing to do with the extension. I can look into it, but I think they did that because you normally delete dead NPCs, etc... from the combat tracker once they become dead. So, the effect wouldn't be shown very long. However, I don't think it would be too hard to fix. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll see what I can do to update the effect list when a combatant dies.
    Last edited by Valerian Stormbreaker; July 15th, 2019 at 05:18.

There is no Dead effect in the ruleset. Just an Unconscious effect to handle sleeping and dying situations, since unconscious can be independent of health status.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There is no Dead effect in the ruleset. Just an Unconscious effect to handle sleeping and dying situations, since unconscious can be independent of health status.

Regards,
    JPG
    That's what I thought. I've been searching through the code for the 5E ruleset and haven't found a "Dead" effect. Is it possible to just clear the existing effects and add one for "Dead"? Being new to extension development, I'm still learning the ropes.

The Unconscious effect actually applies all the modifiers relevant to the condition according to the game system. Technically, a dead person has the Unconscious condition for application of rules (attack, etc.).

You could add an extra Dead effect, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect. The creature already shows as Dead on the player combat tracker status value for health. The GM display just has many more detailed values, so doesn't show the high-level health status.

I would just leave as is, but it's up to you how you want to implement.

Regards,
    JPG

The Unconscious effect actually applies all the modifiers relevant to the condition according to the game system. Technically, a dead person has the Unconscious condition for application of rules (attack, etc.).

You could add an extra Dead effect, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect. The creature already shows as Dead on the player combat tracker status value for health. The GM display just has many more detailed values, so doesn't show the high-level health status.

Regards,
    JPG
    I'll just leave it as is. The only reason I was looking into adding a "Dead" effect is because deer_buster mentioned it.

Exactly what I have been waiting for! Thank you!

I wanted to ask... Is it possible to add a Setting for the default Saves/Failures on Monsters/NPC's? Like dropping in a 30+ Kobold army and having to manually go into each and set it to 3 failures before the campaign starts is quite time consuming. That way if a DM wanted to give deathsaves to Important enemies, it would be easier to fix one mob verses 30.
    Last edited by Melborne; July 18th, 2019 at 05:51.

Regards,
    JPG
    I played with removing it and it causes other issues because of the way it's applied/removed (during ondamage). I discussed the topic in a workshop post . I think there would be similar issues to do it. You can do it but it requires a lot of pieces when it doesn't really make any mechanical difference.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information