FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Chase Troubles...still.

As I try to place cards onto a blank map (with grid), some (many) of the cards simply get lost, nowhere to be found. I've tried turning the snap-to-grid off and turning off all extensions...but no luck. The cards keep disappearing from the map thus making a SWADE Chase scene impossible. Deluxe Oz had similar issues when he made his tutorial on Chases. I've spoken with others who don't have any issues with "disappearing cards". I've included a small video to show what I'm dealing with.

https://youtu.be/2SqMQu__l7U

Update: Was informed you can use the card "images" just fine. Unfortunately dragging them from the card deck doesn't work so well. Takes away from being totally random a bit.
    Last edited by Meliath1742; July 12th, 2019 at 16:02.
    Cross-examining Lawyer: Mister Cogburn, in your four years as US Marshal, how many men have you shot?
    Rooster Cogburn: Shot? Or killed?
    Cross-examining Lawyer: Let us restrict it to killed so we may have a manageable figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Meliath1742 View Post
    As I try to place cards onto a blank map (with grid), some (many) of the cards simply get lost, nowhere to be found. I've tried turning the snap-to-grid off and turning off all extensions...but no luck. The cards keep disappearing from the map thus making a SWADE Chase scene impossible. Deluxe Oz had similar issues when he made his tutorial on Chases. I've spoken with others who don't have any issues with "disappearing cards". I've included a small video to show what I'm dealing with.

https://youtu.be/2SqMQu__l7U

Update: Was informed you can use the card "images" just fine. Unfortunately dragging them from the card deck doesn't work so well. Takes away from being totally random a bit.
    Two thoughts for this:

1. Use a real deck to draw them (to randomize), then put the images out on FG. (the complications should be from a separate deck than the initiative cards anyway)
    2. IMO, its really better to do the draw before the session and use them to help plan the scene. SWADE "chases" are more like traditional encounters. Seeing the cards ahead of time gives the GM a chance to plan what they represent vs. trying to come up with complications on the fly. I find this helps me bring the scene alive better.

I can draw cards and place them onto any image, new or old. I was able to do this from the "Tools" bar and from the deck on the desktop. You might want to make sure all of your extensions and modules are up to date.
    FGU Ultimate License - Savage Worlds GM

Yeah, works fine for me too.

From your video I can see you're using at least one extension (a theme at least). Please try this in a brand new campaign, now extensions (even themes) loaded. If the issue still occurs, please provide a screenshot of the chat window showing all the details presented just after loading.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yeah, works fine for me too.

From your video I can see you're using at least one extension (a theme at least). Please try this in a brand new campaign, now extensions (even themes) loaded. If the issue still occurs, please provide a screenshot of the chat window showing all the details presented just after loading.
    Will do. On vacation for the next week though. I had in fact removed all extensions except the theme but will try again when I get back next week.
    Cross-examining Lawyer: Mister Cogburn, in your four years as US Marshal, how many men have you shot?
    Cross-examining Lawyer: Let us restrict it to killed so we may have a manageable figure!

Quote Originally Posted by amerigoV View Post
    Two thoughts for this:

1. Use a real deck to draw them (to randomize), then put the images out on FG. (the complications should be from a separate deck than the initiative cards anyway)
    2. IMO, its really better to do the draw before the session and use them to help plan the scene. SWADE "chases" are more like traditional encounters. Seeing the cards ahead of time gives the GM a chance to plan what they represent vs. trying to come up with complications on the fly. I find this helps me bring the scene alive better.
    You may be right about getting the cards put together ahead if time. It's something I had considered with the new Chase rules. Thanks.

Ok, created a blank (no extension, no selection) campaign using SWADE. Re-created my card/map issue with the same results initially. BUT, I tried scrolling down on the map image and found the missing cards near the bottom of the image. If I created a "square" map and scrolled all the way out I could place the cards, with a few minor position adjustments, and layout a string of cards. After that I could magnify and elongate the map for a chase scene! I was able to do this on other campaigns that included various extensions so I don't believe extensions were part of the original issue. It's all about the sizing and grid size of the chase map. It's quirky, but it works.

https://youtu.be/-2VcFSSzhgU

Quote Originally Posted by Meliath1742 View Post
    Ok, created a blank (no extension, no selection) campaign using SWADE. Re-created my card/map issue with the same results initially. BUT, I tried scrolling down on the map image and found the missing cards near the bottom of the image. If I created a "square" map and scrolled all the way out I could place the cards, with a few minor position adjustments, and layout a string of cards. After that I could magnify and elongate the map for a chase scene! I was able to do this on other campaigns that included various extensions so I don't believe extensions were part of the original issue. It's all about the sizing and grid size of the chase map. It's quirky, but it works.

https://youtu.be/-2VcFSSzhgU
    Interesting...

Maybe try using a map that has an image - that is, not a FG created blank, which is then resized. Use a simple image, 1000x700 (or whatever will work for the spacing you want), with a background colour you like. See if the issue occurs then when using this image.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Interesting...

Maybe try using a map that has an image - that is, not a FG created blank, which is then resized. Use a simple image, 1000x700 (or whatever will work for the spacing you want), with a background colour you like. See if the issue occurs then when using this image.
    I'll give it a shot, thanks!

That did it! Using an actual jpg image (1000 x 600) I was able to add a grid and the cards from the tray placed perfectly! Thanks Trenloe...lesson learned :-)

Thread Information