DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Token Display options

G'day all. When I run FG and have a client connected I have an issue with specific token options.
    In FG I set GM: show health = Bar and Player: Show enemy health= Tooltip.
    This doesn't seem to work. The DM screen has a Health bar. The client only has the name of the NPC, no health information.
    If I set the DM option to tooltip, it does work on the client side.
    Screen shot attached
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are correct. I'll see that the issue is drawn to the attention of someone who knows about such things.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Cheers

Ok, after investigation, the FG client only supports one "name" per token, so the player and GM clients are essentially dueling over who gets to assign the name. It wasn't an issue previously when the options were simpler and the tooltip display was the same for both player and GM.

Since the token naming behavior isn't something we're planning on changing in the main client at this point (due to focus on FGU), I'm debating whether it makes more sense to just remove the health/effects from the tooltip to avoid the issue of players being able to see GM information.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the follow up. I was using that set up so the players only had a general idea of foes health. I personally don't like the bar for the players. Good for the DM though. The way I have the effects hidden prevents the PCs from seeing effects they shouldn't. I'm away from my PC, but I as the DM can hide effects from the PCs. That's why I had health and effects as tooltip. I've found the icons too small/unwieldy to use.
    Cheers

The more I think about it, the more I will probably remove the tooltip option for health/effects. As I said, the feature has been growing and evolving for years, but all the permutations don't work together at this point.

Players can already see effect details on the combat tracker (for effects they can see), as well as general health status. Instead of using the bar, you can also use the dot, which only gives them rough color information to base decisions on (just like general health status).

Regards,
    JPG

The tooltip option will be removed for v3.3.8; since it exposes GM information to players, and the client doesn't support different token names on each client.

Regards,
    JPG

Okay dokey. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I will probably remove the tooltip option for health/effects. As I said, the feature has been growing and evolving for years, but all the permutations don't work together at this point.

Players can already see effect details on the combat tracker (for effects they can see), as well as general health status. Instead of using the bar, you can also use the dot, which only gives them rough color information to base decisions on (just like general health status).

Regards,
    JPG
    Hi Moon Wizard

Just some player feedback from our group: we are struggling with screen space and we tend to not use the CT all the time. The token option was really useful to us.

Do you think an improvement could be made in the future (or for 3.3.8) to make the effect icons easier to see and use? Not sure how but making them bigger and outside the token frame with easier hover would be a good start.

Thanks

EDIT: I also want to add that using the CT to quickly see effects and health is a pain for GMs when we have many NPCs on it
    Last edited by Sarezar; July 9th, 2019 at 20:13. Reason: Added feedback

I usually place my CT over the top part of the chat window to save some space.

For the tooltips, the token health/effect options are more advanced in v3.3.8, allowing players and GMs to see different information. And, the tooltip option doesn't work in that situation, since there can only be one tooltip per token (shared by both GM and players). So, the option is actually broken at that point, which is why I removed.

For the effect icons, one of the limitations of the effect icons is that they must be on top of the token image for the tooltips to work for the effect icons (limitation of the client), so making them bigger would also cover more of the image (which may be worth it). Also, effect icons also currently show at different sizes, depending on the resolution of the token. I'm going to poke at this a bit to see what I can do.

Also, I've been keeping an eye on some of the experimenting that Celestian has been doing with the 2E ruleset to see if it can help with some of these types of concerns. (two-way highlighting between CT and image selection, etc.)

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information