STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Seeking opinions: Running for kids D&D (BECMI) Basic Set 1 vs 5thEd Basic FreePDF

As someone who has always been more into CoC/WFRP. I would like some advice on introducing D&D to kids around 9yo with adult running sessions.
    I’m tossing up between the BECMI/Cyclopedia/Basic Starter Set rules or the 5thEd free Basic rules. I’d be open to something OSR if it was appropriate for young girls and boys but I’m unfamiliar with the options.
    Does anyone have an opinion on which would be a better option?

Blog Entries
    5E.

First, young kids are not going to care what edition it is. And, if they do, they will want the latest, not something 30 years old.

5E is much more coherent. It has a solid set of rules that do not require numerous houserules to get to work. If the kids pick this up and spread it to their friends, their friends are going to most liekly play 5E, because its' what's available at Target, at the game stores, and it's what is being played on 95% of the streams they might go watch. Plus, 5E does not have all the gender discrimation built into it like BECMI did (i.e. gender based strength max etc) not does 5E have all the gender.. derogatory images that BECMI etc do.

The only reason to play BECMI is for you. Not for the kids.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Very good points. Yeah gender based limitations on fantasy heroes is definitely unnecessary relic of a past form of make believe.
    If they do go on to take an interest, there is no doubt the 5th ed players handbook is probably visually both more inspiring and affirming to my daughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    Very good points. Yeah gender based limitations on fantasy heroes is definitely unnecessary relic of a past form of make believe.
    If they do go on to take an interest, there is no doubt the 5th ed players handbook is probably visually both more inspiring and affirming to my daughters.
    = O.o =

= o.0 =

What gender-based limitations in BECMI are you talking about? I am looking through my copy and I don't see any rule about only male fighters or anything like that.

The 5e rules definitely use more inclusive language throughout the book, but that's something totally different.

On topic, WotC had a decent article on DMing for kids here. And I've got others I'll track down soon, I didn't keep links but there's a lot of good articles on D&D for kids.

Blog Entries
    Id be going 5E for sure.
    It is a polished and simple system.

There were some strength maximums - like Human Female had max strength of 17 or something like that.
    As to the derogatory art - i think that is probably the wrong word - some of it may have objectified females in some way but even that was pretty limited in most D&D products from my recollection
    Plenty of other fantasy artwork forgot to clad their females in job suitable safety gear - and even then there was usually a barbarian male wearing less again.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    = O.o =

= o.0 =

What gender-based limitations in BECMI are you talking about? I am looking through my copy and I don't see any rule about only male fighters or anything like that.

The 5e rules definitely use more inclusive language throughout the book, but that's something totally different.

On topic, WotC had a decent article on DMing for kids here. And I've got others I'll track down soon, I didn't keep links but there's a lot of good articles on D&D for kids.
    Did that come across as overly righteous? Sorry. I meant the Strength cap LordEntrails mentioned. My first RPG was BECMI Red Set, I honestly can't remember if there is a cap...yikes I may have been unfair, was it AD&D that had strength caps and not so basic??!.
    BECMI...I have done you a disservice.
    Looking at the Set 1 Players Manual.. Yeah there is no gendered strength caps that I can spot...and the art in that particular set is pretty darn good, the cleric looks pretty badass, when she isn't dead! My girls would be pretty meh with the first warrior they identify with dying that soon though XD.

Thanks for the WotC link!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Id be going 5E for sure.
    It is a polished and simple system.

There were some strength maximums - like Human Female had max strength of 17 or something like that.
    As to the derogatory art - i think that is probably the wrong word - some of it may have objectified females in some way but even that was pretty limited in most D&D products from my recollection
    Plenty of other fantasy artwork forgot to clad their females in job suitable safety gear - and even then there was usually a barbarian male wearing less again.
    Checking out the 5E basic free pdf ...there's a lot of content in it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    Checking out the 5E basic free pdf ...there's a lot of content in it!
    Also check out the 5E SRD. It has some additional content (though its designed for developers, not play)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Up until recently I would of gone with the 5e consensus however last year my 11 year old son joined a dnd game at the local library run by a teacher and it's 1e and kids all love it mainly down to the quality of the Teachers DMing skills. The game got so popular I had to run additional game and I'm using a rules light version called Black Hack and again the kids love it.
    My advice would be to run what you are comfortable with,nothings kills the mood in a game especially with kids than stopping to look up rules.
    Last edited by hawkwind; July 10th, 2019 at 05:52.

Of you want good free version of basic DnD try this https://necroticgnome.com/collection...ls-basic-rules 100% compatible and no sexist art work well the free version has no art at all!

Thread Information