STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thinking of buying Ultimate, have some questions

I have never used fantasy grounds before. Looking to buy the ultimate edition and play with friends. If I buy the ultimate edition, including whatever dlc's I want, I know that others can use the free version and play with me as host. My question is, would they be able to use whatever dlc packs I bought to make their characters or anything like that. I am not sure how it works so that is why I am asking. Is it easy to make characters using all the features with the free version or is it different somehow? Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, they can access any DLC you purchase as long as you mark them as available for use.
    --Art "Everything I do is a work of Art" Wendorf
    An Ultimate License Holder so anyone can join the fun!
    Timezone: US Central Time [UTC-6?]

Quote Originally Posted by Art Wendorf View Post
    Yes, they can access any DLC you purchase as long as you mark them as available for use.
    Also, only while connected to your game. They can make characters with the demo, but are limited to the SRD content that comes with it, which can be quite.....limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtoad View Post
    Also, only while connected to your game. They can make characters with the demo, but are limited to the SRD content that comes with it, which can be quite.....limiting.
    So they can connect to my game first and then create their characterS? Or I could create their characters for them first and then they can connect to the game and use the character?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRainZ View Post
    So they can connect to my game first and then create their characterS? Or I could create their characters for them first and then they can connect to the game and use the character?
    Yes to both.

Blog Entries
    You didn't say which ruleset you're interested in, so I'll just use D&D 5E since everyone knows what it is.

If you have an Ultimate license, the one and only feature that gets you is the ability to host a table full of demo players. (That being the case, are you stuck as the "Forever GM" or does your group rotate GMs for different games? If so, the better choice might be for the group to get their own Standard licenses.)

Ok, so let's say you're the GM. Any ruleset you have that the players do not, your server uploads to them. Same with any extensions you run; those are also transmitted to your players. (If you set a theme, your players will also see that theme, etc.) Next we have DLC modules. There are two basic types: Reference Modules and Adventure Modules. Reference Modules are supposed to be read-only, and they come in both GM and Player flavors. Take the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Player's Handbook, for example. By default, the DMG is (obviously) a GM-facing package so your players would not see that. The PHB on the other hand, is auto-shared with the players, because it's a Player-facing package. However, since it's your server, you can override the defaults and share/unshare various modules at your leisure. We generally suggest to avoid sharing GM modules for a few technical reasons as well as, hey, you're giving all your ideas away and all. Finally, there are Adventure modules. Those are also GM-facing packages, but they are not read-only; they are immediately editable so you can tweak the story, the NPCs, whatever you need right away during prep or on-the-fly during the game session.

As mentioned above, players will need to connect to your server to create/maintain their characters unless they have their own Standard licenses and have the player DLC as well. If they do, they can work on their characters all they want and email you the character XML file.

Oh, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

Hi!,

I too am thinking of purchasing Fantasy Grounds Ultimate, but I'm hesitating because I see that the Unity version is 4 months away. Will I have to upgrade after having payed for the Ultimate Edition now? NOTE: I understand that overhauls cost money, but I'm concerned that I'm not going to get my money's worth purchasing now, when I can just wait until December. (But I'm really interested in purchasing now!! ).

Yes, there will be an upgrade cost for FGU for existing FGC users. The two products will be kept separate. The upgrade cost will not be decided until we launch FGU. The current FGC client will continue to run and work even after FGU launches.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information