STAR TREK 2d20

Bug Report: Can't delete link from note or insert line before if it is the first line

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I searched and couldn't find a general FG bug reports forum.

It's not a huge problem because it's poor technical writing practice to not have introduction text at the beginning of a document. However, I ran into this issue because I opened up a blank note just started dragging and dropping a bunch of links in to brainstorm for the document I was writing. I had to delete the whole note and start over with some ordinary text at the top before I inserted a link because it wouldn't let me backspace to delete the link nor move the typing cursor to the beginning of the line to hit enter to insert a line above the link.

The House of Healing is the usual place for bug or other technical issues. No worries, I've moved this thread there.

The way to "delete" a link is to change the format to normal text. Either via the right-click menu or using CTRL+1. Some info on the formatting keys here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ed_Text_Fields
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Oh, I see! So it's formatted text, not an actual object to be "deleted." Thanks for the help.

My request still stands to the devs to make that a little more intuitive. It could be something as simple as, "Backspacing over the beginning of the line of a link converts the whole line to normal text."

Also, "Pressing 'enter' at the beginning of the line of a link adds a blank line of normal text above the link."

Quote Originally Posted by EX0stasis View Post
    Also, "Pressing 'enter' at the beginning of the line of a link adds a blank line of normal text above the link."
    Maybe not... Some of us use the current functionality to help us do something else. Some of us old hands like to set out a set of links first (especially if they are place holders).

The formatted text control is something that has evolved over 15+ years. The devs tell us it's difficult to change some of the functionality that's there already. So something that might seem like a simple request might not actually be that simple... And others may break things that current users are familiar with.

My advice is don't fight the interface - learn how to use it as is. And, as you did, if there's something that you can't get working, come here to ask.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Some of us old hands like to set out a set of links first (especially if they are place holders).
    I can see the appeal in that after trying that out myself just now.

Is there a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to move a link, which is placed on the first line, down by one line and have the link follow the text that I just moved? The problem I'm having is that when I want to move the link down, I'd have to go back to the mouse and find the item all over again and click and drag it onto the new line I made. If the link was on any other line but the first line, I could just move the cursor up one line and hit 'enter,' but not if the link is on the first line.

Blog Entries
    See the wiki link Trenloe posted, I think its ctrl-3 to make a link line. But ti doesn't move the existing link. You have to do that with drag/drop or re-linking, or adding lines before after to re-organize. I don't think cut/paste works for links (not sure I've ever tried).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's okay. It's such a small edge case that I'm nitpicking over. I'll just remember to type some jibberish on the first line of a note before dragging links onto the note until I figure out what I actually want to type on that first line.

Quote Originally Posted by EX0stasis View Post
    The problem I'm having is that when I want to move the link down, I'd have to go back to the mouse and find the item all over again and click and drag it onto the new line I made.
    Click the link to open the record and keep it open - notice that there's a link to that record in the record window itself, it's usually in the top right. Then change your formattedtext entry as you wish and drag/drop the link from the open record back into the story record.

Thread Information