DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Loading a Fantasy Ground Campaign - two times waiting

Hi Everyone,

I've an annoying problem with Fantasy Grounds. When I load my (GM) campaign, the loading image appears and it takes half a minute or so. This is totally fine and nice. Then the chat window appears, the dice are in the lower right corner and on the right hand side I've all the icons.

Everything looks smooth. Now, I'd actually like to use Fantasy Grounds productively.

However, once I click into the FG window, usually on a "Story" or "Images" button, then the Fantasy Grounds window gets a little bit larger, the taskbar dissapears for another 20-30 seconds, Fantasy Grounds is not reacting and I am asked if I want to end the process. Then I wait (cause I don't want to end the process).

Suddenly the message disappears, the FG window get's smaller again (meanging fullscreen and the windows taskbar is back) and now I can use Fantasy Grounds.

It's hard for me to explain, but it really annoys me.

Any idea how I could resolve this?

Many thanks,
    Roland

PS: Sorry for bad English, non-native guy here.
    PPS: I believe I've no driver issues. I update my nvidia drivers regularly.

Firstly does this happen only in this campaign? Have you tried in a new campaign without any extensions loaded? If so does the problem go away?

If it happens only in the one campaign then it may be an extension that is causing the issue. Disable all of them (including themes and decals) and then re-enable them one at a time until you find the culprit.

If that isn't the problem then you may be running out of memory. If, whilst the campaign is running, FG is using 3Gb or more of memory then you have too much loaded. Unload unneeded modules and especially token modules.

Also check that you are not using massive image files. Images should be .jpg files and should be limited to around 2048x2048 and < 1Mb in size. Don't use .png files for images.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I just created a new empty project, and here I've the same behavior.

In the attached screenshot, you see how my system looks after loading the campaign for another half a minute:

Unbenannt.png

Edit: The empty campaign eats already 2gigs of memory. I've got 16 GB of ram.
    Is there 64 bit client somewhere?
    Last edited by Snippels; June 29th, 2019 at 14:54.

I guess I found it:

Suppose it's my 600mb tokens library. However, I don't wanna miss it. Any ideas how I could resolve this issue?

Yes, that'll do it.

Create modules for your tokens. Here's a video showing you how https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...389#post382389

Remember that you don't need to have tokens modules open once a token has been allocated.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Remember that you don't need to have tokens modules open once a token has been allocated.
    Thank you for answer.

I also love to use the FGData\tokens\host directory to work with my tokens. If I allocated a token from this directory, is it also saved within my campaign? (meaning, that I could move out folders of this directory later when running the campaign)

Tokens placed in the tokens/host folder are loaded into every single campaign that you start in FG. They are always available and always use up huge amounts of memory.

Tokens stored in a module are also available in any campaign that you open the module in. The benefit is that once you allocate a token to an NPC or PC then you can close that module again and FG will remember the token. If you export the NPC into a module the token link will also go with it and when you open the NPC in another campaign the token will be there.

Thanks Zacchaeus for your competent answers.

To sum it up: in order to resolve my memory issues, I will organize my tokens now in modules instead of using the tokens/host folder. When creating campaigns, I load my modules with the tokens (which eats up some memory but it's ok). Then, before playing the campaign, I make sure my token modules are unloaded. This is fine, because all allocated tokens where copied to my campaign before (or are linked accordingly, idk but it should work).

You will have to relink your tokens if you move them; but you need to do so otherwise you will continue to have issues.

Anyone know if this problem is fixed in FGU?

Thread Information