FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Recommended Amount and/or Size of a Token module?

I've got a large collection of tokens. Many I made, a lot more I purchased. It's ... a lot and im embarrassed to say how many. But what I'd like to do is make a module to contain them so I can use them easily instead of stuffing them into the data/tokens folder and slowing load down by... a lot.

Whats the recommended number of tokens in a single module? I know the recommended "size" requirements for tokens but I'm not sure if there is a limit for the count of them in the module.

I've got a bundle for the DM and one for the PCs I plan to create, so at least 2 modules tho I suspect I'll split out top-down from pogs.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that token modules do not have the same memory issues that the token folders do. But I wouldn't think you would want one module for them all. I would think you would want a module for each category so that you can more easily browse them.

Will be interesting to hear if I'm correct about the token module memory behavior.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Having all your tokens in one big module will be the same as having them all in the tokens/host folder once the module is opened (I think).

My recommendation is to have smaller more compact modules. I split mine into PC tokens and then I have half a dozen or so smaller modules for beasties. I used the same split (roughly) that the 5e MM Packs did, Dragons, Humanoids, Ooozes, Celestials and Fey, Giants, Constructs and just beasties.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I too now have way too many tokens! What a coincidence!

I'd be interested in hearing about everyone's attempts at making sense of everything, especially in terms of FG resource optimization results.

I blame Devin Night for a lot of the token issues people are having recently; I know that's where mine comes from.

I plan on breaking mine up into modules based on creature type. Devin's have 20-40 each in them, so I'm probably going to aim for about 30 in a pack at the most. I haven't started unpacking any of them yet, that's going to be a bit of an undertaking for, as far as I can tell, 100+ token packs.

Putting tokens in a module primarily allows you to control which tokens are available in a campaign. If you put all your current tokens into a single module and load that module then you're not getting any efficiency improvement. Put them into categories and only activate the category you need, when you need it.

Another tip, related to this: if a token from a module is already assigned (linked) to an NPC or an encounter, you no longer need the token module open. FG treats links to token modules as a kind-of file system, as along as the module is installed, you don't need the token module open to utilise an already linked token.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Any word on whether or not the Darkwoulfe token packs that were made available through the Kickstarter will be unencrypted and put into modules rather than .dat files alone. It would make life much easier on many of us. In addition, they are already made available as image files through other sites after purchase. Thumbs up to the advice provided by Trenloe and Zacchaeus. Makes a world of difference. It also makes it easier to organize campaigns. You can organize tokens by encounter, by chapter, or by random encounter. Ability to do so makes life wonderful.

So, you guys are planning on unpacking all the modules and then sifting through the tokens visually to place them in appropriate categories? And then zipping them back up again? Won't we end up with just as many token modules? I guess they might be grouped in lots that make more sense?

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    So, you guys are planning on unpacking all the modules and then sifting through the tokens visually to place them in appropriate categories? And then zipping them back up again? Won't we end up with just as many token modules? I guess they might be grouped in lots that make more sense?
    I don't think anyone's considering unpacking modules and then re-packing them - but, hey, someone might have too much time on their hands. The OP was asking about tokens they have outside of modules, in the <FG app data>\tokens directory. The recommendation is to put those into various modules with appropriate categories - I imagine they're at least using a few different directories already, these can be taken as a starting point.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is how I work.

I have only commonly used tokens (markers, indicators, flags, etc) in my global tokens folder.

All of my other tokens are organized in a folder outside of the FG area.

When I am setting up an adventure, I create a campaign, and within that campaign I create a tokens folder. Within that campaign, I copy whatever creatures I'm going to need, and apply tokens to those copies as required. When I have finished prep for the adventure, I create a module from that campaign. Tokens needed are automatically copied from the campaign folder into the module.

When I'm ready to play, I open the module - this loads the tokens that are in the module into the system. When I'm done with that adventure, I close the module and the tokens associated with it are automatically removed from the system.

Using this process, I *never* have too many tokens, I only have what I need at that time.

Thread Information