5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Crashing When People Are Joined To My Server

We experienced something new tonight that I haven't run into before...

I'm running 3.3.7 Ultimate (5E) and running the same extensions that I've been running forever but it seems now that when someone joins my server (even when I do a second sessions using localhost), if I right click, I get the spinning blue circle and the debug box that says:

Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation

We had our game completely crash out to nothingness 3x - just POOF gone.

I've never run into that before. :/

I was planning on starting to record/stream games and I thought maybe SLOBS was the problem but even after closing it, rebooting and trying again with JUST Fantasy Grounds, it still did it. It appears to be ok if I'm in FG by myself - but once someone else joins the server is when all the problems start. :/
    Jim Hale
    Ultimate License - D&D5E (AL)
    DDAL-DCI: 4317029791
    Game Signups (Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by JHale1966 View Post

These errors are caused by FG running out of memory. It is a 32-bit application and so has a limit of around 3.7GB, even if your computer has much more memory, and you'll start to experience issues once the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe exceeds 3GB.

Look at Windows Task Manager for the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe and see how much is being used before a player joins, when you start getting those errors and when FG disappears.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe.

Fantasy Grounds by itself:
    Level 1.jpg

W/2nd Instance:
    Level 2.jpg

And as soon as I right clicked in the main window, it took about 5 seconds for it to shoot up to about 3800 and then poof - gone.
    Jim Hale
    Ultimate License - D&D5E (AL)
    DDAL-DCI: 4317029791
    Game Signups (Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by JHale1966 View Post
    Thanks Trenloe.

Fantasy Grounds by itself:
    Level 1.jpg

W/2nd Instance:
    Level 2.jpg

And as soon as I right clicked in the main window, it took about 5 seconds for it to shoot up to about 3800 and then poof - gone.
    So, it's the player instance that crashes or the GM?

If the player, reduce what you have shared - don't share GM related modules, only share individual records from those modules.

If the GM, reduce the number of modules you have open. Make sure maps you open are around the recommended resolution of 2048x2048 pixels - the larger they are the more memory they use, and this is multiplied if you're using an extension that has image layers.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 27th, 2019 at 03:17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Are you using the live or test channel?

What the "date modified" on your FantasyGrounds.exe file?

And, does this happen in a brand new 5E campaign without any extensions?

Thread Information