5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Well, if you have a place that does what you want like the spells window, then you can go to that code in the CoreRPG (I think) or perhaps 5e ruleset and use that as the basis for your custom windowclass/windowlist. Now this is Lua and might make your head explode, but if you can't do what you want in Author, then this is probably the way to go (although you could probably do something that works by editing the xml of what Author produces, but then you'd have trouble maintaining it within Author later). To clarify, if a structure exists in the ruleset that will work for your application (and it is really hard to give you good advice without a pictorial and better description of exactly what you are trying to do), then, in theory, you can edit the xml in your module to use that windowclass and windowlist. This is hard to do for even experienced folks (because xml editing is so dang tedious), and would be much easier if you could look at a module that does this already. The problem is that those modules are probably all locked in the vault and you can't see them because they are encrypted.

Edited: And let me complement you on your courage leaping in to make things you want in your campaign. But you have dived into a really deep pool, and if there is a bottom to it, I haven't found it yet. FG is incredibly powerful, but with great power comes great challenge in learning to wield that power. Nothing great is ever easy....
    Last edited by Bidmaron; June 23rd, 2019 at 14:09.

can i fire you a couple of images sir?

As someone has already observed, posting them here is better. I would be happy to help, but as soon as I'm finished my scan of new content here, I have to get to work and won't be back on again until late tonight. As you have seen, folks are happy to help, especially with someone who is going to the effort to dive into the deep end, but most of us (with the possible exception of the AI known as T.R.E.N.L.O.E.), have lives that keep us from the important stuff on FG. I haven't been able to do anything substantial for literally months because of the crazy task my job is in right now (Unmanned Underwater Vehicles), but I do my best to try to stay current and watch the boards and even chime in from time-to-time when the AI is off charging his batteries.

if i could use the authoring tool to create a menu, with a bunch of submenues, and then under a couple of THOSE parent menues, put further child menues.
    apparently this function only goes down one lvl, and another layer underneath would be ideal.

Clarification please - are you creating a reference manual? (Because you’re showing the Author extension, which is used to create reference manuals). Or are you creating a set of data - similar to spells (which you mention as an example).

Maybe tell us more of the context of what you’re trying to do so we can better help/make suggestions. What data are you wanting to present, which ruleset are you working in, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

CARD GUIDE1.jpgCARD GUIDE2.jpgCARD GUIDE3.jpgCARD GUIDE4.jpgMAIN MENU.jpg

OKIES so ive uploaded images to show the catagories im using and the main menu.
    Obviously this will have about ten catagories,
    some of them are fairly large, so it would be good to have some way to have sub-sub-chapters of say..... 20-25 cards or concepts?

this will be working inside the dnd 5e platform.
    frankly im open to any way of making this managable, becuase if its not super easy to use.... it will have no appeal. and the art is finnished and ready to go.
    Last edited by hagrid70; June 23rd, 2019 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by hagrid70 View Post
    CARD GUIDE1.jpgCARD GUIDE2.jpgCARD GUIDE3.jpgCARD GUIDE4.jpgMAIN MENU.jpg

OKIES so ive uploaded images to show the catagories im using and the main menu.
    Obviously this will have about ten catagories,
    some of them are fairly large, so it would be good to have some way to have sub-sub-chapters of say..... 20-25 cards or concepts?

this will be working inside the dnd 5e platform.
    frankly im open to any way of making this managable, becuase if its not super easy to use.... it will have no appeal. and the art is finnished and ready to go.
    Have you considered using a table for each list? Not the table in a formattedtextcontrol that's been already mentioned, but a rollable table - accessed from the "Tables" sidebar button. Tables will allow you to have links, and maybe other columns in the table, and will also allow rolling for a random entry - maybe even linking tables together. You can have links to each of the tables - like you show in the 5th screenshot. You'll still have a big long list in each table, but I think the advantages of using a table (being able to roll on it, etc.) will outweigh the long list. And, to be honest, I think most FG GMs are used to big long lists.

If you also want link lists in the reference manual, you could consider creating a two column format in the page - I haven't used the Author extension, so I don't know exactly how to do that in the extension - but 2 columns is a standard format option in a reference manual page. Then you could put half the links in one column and half in the other. And then have a link to the rollable table at the top of the page, so the GM can decide how to use/access the material - through a FG table, or through the reference manual.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

ILL INVESTIGATE THIS RIGHT AWAY SIR. thank you for your help in this regard.

certainly i need to be able to put the domt 22 card set into a rollable table, but the bulk of the cards, im not so sure.
    wanna see some art? ( pick some if youre curious and ill fire them up here, publically)

this table format allows me to do exactly what i need trenloe, thank you so much man. is there anyway to remove the random roll guff and clean it up so its just a window full of words and links?
    Last edited by hagrid70; June 23rd, 2019 at 16:28.

Thread Information