5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
    Blog Entries

Starter Set in Completionist Bundle - not wanted

I went to buy the new Acquisitions Inc book and noticed that the new starter set is in the bundle. I am not interested at all in that product as I have the older starter set, so I guess my days of having everything will end and it will also mean I will wait for months until there is a sale on the AI book before getting it for Fantasy Grounds.

Not sure why that item was added as a blocking item. The basic rules are included for free and the adventure is not worth over $20.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback Myrdin,

We never really know what items people will like or not like. Since the bundle grants a 15% discount, it's reasonable to want to maintain it but still not quite what I would consider a requirement for most people. Neither Acq. Inc or Stranger Things Starter Set are what we would consider Essential to a D&D experience, but they are both official D&D products. Putting them in the Completionist bundle alongside stuff like The Tortle Package, Monster Tokens, etc. seemed like the correct spot for us. While Stranger Things has an adventure, it's core focus was not the adventure and putting it into the D&D Adventures bundle didn't fit either. With all that said, I think Stranger Things does have a certain appeal as a great way to introduce non-D&D players to actually playing D&D. There are pre-gens, familiar references to the wildly popular TV show and an adventure that can likely be started and completed in a single, long gaming session.

Acquisitions Inc. appeals more to experienced players and DMs (IMO), who are looking to try out a different play style.

Blog Entries
    That does not really address the fact that AI is a hardcover and is a forgotten realms release whereas the starter set is already been released and the basic rules are free so all you get is the short adventure when you buy it. Since AI is in that bundle (maybe putting it into the adventure bundle and I have no intention of buying every new flavor of starter set coming out, I will cut back on buying these except when in deep sale whereas they were an automatic purchase before. The starter set is the issue and WoTC is planning more.
    Last edited by Myrdin Potter; June 20th, 2019 at 18:11.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    I guarantee we would have complaints if Acq Inc was in Essentials or Adventures. It seems to be more popular than Stranger Things but the jury is still out on whether or not it will be as popular as Eberron or Ravnica, both of which are in the Completionist Bundle. That said, if there is a pretty obvious outcry from a large enough majority of people for us to remove a product from a bundle, we might consider it. That would mean that it would not be in any bundle though.

You are able to buy the aquisitions incorporated book without purchasing the completionist bundle btw.

I have no interest in the Stranger Things adventure either, but the completionist bundle is the logical place for it. I mean this is the bundle with tokens and all sorts of other things including Ravinca and Eberon content (I am not looking forwards to eberon releases later this year -sobs-)

Blog Entries
    As I said, I will get it when it goes on sale in a few months. I have maintained the bundles since day 1 of them, but the money spent on a 2nd starter box is not worth whatever savings I will get from the bundle pricing. I was able to get the discount on D&D Beyond, and picked it up there. I said when Ravnica went on sale that hard covers are not "misc", and I still think that.

I would think the point of a bundle called 'completionist' would be more to collect everything D&D, not really to collect things that you will use or want. With a name like that, it seems more a point of pride than a useful collection.

I would expect every product that had the D&D logo on it to be in the 'Completionist Bundle'.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information