5E Character Create Playlist

Mic Setup as a DM to not use PTT - Looking for Help

I am currently in the end game sessions GMing HotDQ. I have had a blast using FG and think(hope) my Players have been enjoying my GM style. I am a true believer in PTT as a Player and I also use it currently as I GM. The issue I feel I would like to adjust/correct is that since I use PTT as a GM I have to pause my descriptions of a room/area as I adjust things on screen to the Players (e.g show map, reveal more fog of war). I would like to be able to continue to speak to the Players as I perform various actions in FG. My current mic setup is your normal headset with a built in mic.

What I would like to know is there a setup that I could use that would leave me free of a headset and mic over my ears, not use PTT (open mic) AND would greatly reduce/eliminate issues with "outside" noises bleeding into the stream (eg dog barking, tv in another room blaring). Should I look into a boom mic setup with a wind screen? If you have equipment/software I should look into please let me know and possibly why you chose that piece

Thanks in advance for any input.
    "Time is an illusion...lunch time doubly so."

Blog Entries
    Why not just use a mouse button (like #4 or #5 on a M705) for your PTT key? Since you can hold that with your thumb while using all your other mouse buttons and the keyboard, it should work just fine.

Some voice programs also allow PTT to be a toggle, so instead of holding the button down, you activate it to turn on your mic and then it stays on until you trigger it again. (Don't know if Discord or Teamspeak allow this though).

Myself, I don't use PTT, because I'm setup in a quite room and rarely have any outside noise to worry about, but I'm lucky

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I use a good quality headset that has a noise-reducing mic. I adjusted Teamspeak's voice activation until it no longer triggered on minor noises (eating chips, sipping a drink, etc) but triggers when I speak clearly.

I have used a foot pedal to trigger voice which frees my hands for the keyboard and seems to work well. Best 10 bucks I’ve spent for my set up (15 now). You can find it HERE on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfront View Post
    I am currently in the end game sessions GMing HotDQ. I have had a blast using FG and think(hope) my Players have been enjoying my GM style. I am a true believer in PTT as a Player and I also use it currently as I GM. The issue I feel I would like to adjust/correct is that since I use PTT as a GM I have to pause my descriptions of a room/area as I adjust things on screen to the Players (e.g show map, reveal more fog of war). I would like to be able to continue to speak to the Players as I perform various actions in FG. My current mic setup is your normal headset with a built in mic.

What I would like to know is there a setup that I could use that would leave me free of a headset and mic over my ears, not use PTT (open mic) AND would greatly reduce/eliminate issues with "outside" noises bleeding into the stream (eg dog barking, tv in another room blaring). Should I look into a boom mic setup with a wind screen? If you have equipment/software I should look into please let me know and possibly why you chose that piece

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Get a "decent" mic and it will help a little. Some headsets do have viable mics. I use the Hyper-X Cloud 2.

Also, use voicemeeter and setup gating for the MIC device levels. You can use it to set a level of background noise to cut out (good for fans/etc). Gating is more for persistent sounds. Dogs/people you just wont be able to fix with gating. You either need a mute button or go back to push to talk.
    Last edited by celestian; June 19th, 2019 at 02:47.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thank you all for your sound input! (pun intended)
    "Time is an illusion...lunch time doubly so."

If you don't mind using a headset (it's not clear from your post as to why you don't want to), then there are some good options. I use a wireless headset, with a mute button on the headset (toggle on/off) and red-light at the end of the mic boom to indicate when mute is on. This allows me to generally be hand free (I use the volume level/gating mentioned above) and I can mute quickly when I have to. It also allows me to walk around a little, make a drink, etc. while listening to the players making their nefarious plans.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

A good MIC/Sound card/Software can eliminate practically all background noise when properly configured. As stated above Voicemeter is a good software filter, and I personally use a AE-5 sound card which has further filtering available.

Thread Information