FG Spreadshirt Swag

Hello all, questions about Modules.

So, I am new to FG, but I am far from new to being in the scene of DnD online. I have been using Roll20 for a long time, and have so much money invested but recently I am starting to run into more and more problems with it due to updates not getting along with maps I've made before updates and rule changes I don't fully agree with.

So, before I get into actually making custom stuff I need to know what kind of Modules are available, and how they run? Like are there Wiz Coast Modules, how do they play? If there is a moment that the modules build onto each other, and if so how is the flow. I am mostly asking if there is a group or grouping of a module I can get for a party to learn how to use this and grow into the community till I am comfortable to get to the point of making my own stuff.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Fantasy Grounds, you can start with those tutorials video https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos

Hi jintsure welcome to FG.
    I’m not entirely sure what you are asking, but all of the Wizards of the Coast rulebooks and adventures are available for Fantasy Grounds for the 5e ruleset. Smiteworks recently also obtained the licence for 2e as well so there are a few for that ruleset too and the numbers are growing.

All adventures come with everything that is in the paper version along with as much FG automation as can be packed in. They include all of the story, artwork and maps. Encounters and treasure parcels are configured for ease of use and everything is ready to run. If you have more specific questions fire away and we can answer those for you.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you kindly, I will look around at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hi jintsure welcome to FG.
    I’m not entirely sure what you are asking, but all of the Wizards of the Coast rulebooks and adventures are available for Fantasy Grounds for the 5e ruleset. Smiteworks recently also obtained the licence for 2e as well so there are a few for that ruleset too and the numbers are growing.

All adventures come with everything that is in the paper version along with as much FG automation as can be packed in. They include all of the story, artwork and maps. Encounters and treasure parcels are configured for ease of use and everything is ready to run. If you have more specific questions fire away and we can answer those for you.
    What I mean is this. "Do you guys have Modules that build into one another like module "1 - 20" So that we can, (Me as a DM) continue to use the same characters blah blah. I am more than happy to explain more and be helpful in anyway to get more and more information.
    Last edited by Jintsure; June 18th, 2019 at 02:03.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to FG and to the forums!

You didn't specify which ruleset but I will assume 5E. Not that it matters in this context.

With FG, you create a 'campaign' which really just means 'ok I've created the database for this set of characters, etc.' There are a couple types of 'modules' -- player-facing (SRD Player's Handbooks, etc.) so that your players can create and maintain their characters, and those modules contain character classes, skills, feats, spells, gear, etc. that players would need. Then there are the GM modules -- adventures, bestiaries, that kinda thing.

Now the adventures are typically built so you as GM don't need to own any other sourcebooks. All the NPCs, monsters, encounters, treasure, images, maps, etc. are ready to go, so there's really no need to have anything like the DMG loaded unless you want to use some of the tables or whatever to add your own spin to the adventure. On that note, all the adventures are editable on the fly so you have the freedom to do just that.

Typically we only recommend getting bestiaries (ie. Monster Manual, etc.) if you're doing home-brew adventures since as mentioned above, the prepared ones have all that done for you.

In terms of sequential content, you may have noticed that for 5E WotC has mostly released full campaigns (Storm King's Thunder, Tyranny of Dragons, Curse of Strahd, etc.) or collections of shorter adventurers that can thrown in anywhere. The D&D Classics lineup will slowly start getting the older A-series (currently in progress by one of our new DLC Developers, in fact) and several others. Pathfinder and Starfinder also have their Adventure Paths which are usually a set of 6-ish books taking the characters through a sequential campaign. WotC has not chosen to take that route with 5E, however.

I think I am seeing what you are saying with the modules... You can create a campaign and start your group out with Lost Mines of Phandelver (the starter set). When you finish LMOP you can open another module, say one of the adventures from TYP like The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and continue to do this without disturbing the character's data. It is always best practice to only load the modules that you will need/use.
    You can open and close modules (adventures, rule books, and other resources) while keeping all of the character data and other data you entered into the campaign. Even if you close a module you are making a reference/link to, like a Map/Image or NPC, when you try to open it FG is keen enough to throw a dialogue box that gives you the option to re-open that module.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Blog Entries
    You will also find that the WotC modules on FG are more functional than most of the WotC modules are in Roll20. Part of what I mean by this is that on Roll20, WotC adventures are broken into two aspects, the Compendium and the Module, and many of the adventures on Roll20 do not have compendiums, so you can't use the player options, or the NPC is other campaigns/adventures. Also, depending upon your subscription level, you can only share a compendium to so many campaigns (1, 3, or 5) and only so many players per campaign. FG has no such limit, you can use a purchased module in as many campaigns as you want, and you can have it with as many players as you want. Finally, in Roll20, when you start a campaign, you have to decide which modules you want to open and share, and you can't add new ones to the campaign later on. FG allows you to open and close modules whenever you want within a campaign.

Also, all the WotC adventures run pretty well on FG, imo usually much better than in print. So I really don't think you will be disappointed. But, anything you buy on the FG store (this website) has a 30 day money back guarantee, so if something doesn't live up to what you want, you can return it and get your money back.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information