Joshua Stream Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Free Skills

  1. #1

    Free Skills

    I'm building an Operative and they get two 'free skills' but when I look at Ranks Spent it says 2 even though I haven't put any more ranks into other skills. I know I can modify this myself but I feel that it could confuse people who are less familiar with the ruleset.

  2. #2
    Blahness98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Wisconsin
    Posts
    919
    The ranks for the free skills are added on top of the ones you get for being an operative. They are automatically placed into the proper skills by the rule set and FG recognizes them as spent ranks. But, your total ranks (8+Int Mod+Race(if human)) will be two higher than what you would normally have to account for the automatically added ranks.

    Example, A level 1 Human Operative with a +3 Int mod would get 12 (8+3+1) points to spend in ranks. I chose the Ghost spec and get the free points in Acro and Stealth. I still have the 12 points to spend even though there are 2 points are spent in Acro and Stealth. The total available to spend will 14 to account for the 2 free ranks and the normal 12.

    Hope this clears things up.
    Last edited by Blahness98; June 12th, 2019 at 18:14.
    Ultimate License Holder

    Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

    Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    The ranks for the free skills are added on top of the ones you get for being an operative. They are automatically placed into the proper skills by the rule set and FG recognizes them as spent ranks. But, your total ranks (8+Int Mod+Race(if human)) will be two higher than what you would normally have to account for the automatically added ranks.

    Example, A level 1 Human Operative with a +3 Int mod would get 12 (8+3+1) points to spend in ranks. I chose the Ghost spec and get the free points in Acro and Stealth. I still have the 12 points to spend even though there are 2 points are spent in Acro and Stealth. The total available to spend will 14 to account for the 2 free ranks and the normal 12.
    I know that's how it's supposed to work but when I initially went to build my character it did not include these ranks. I had to manually go in and modify how many skill ranks I got from the class because it did not give me the two extra 'free skill' ranks for the class. I have since tried to replicate it (after your response) and it has appeared the way it was intended.

  4. #4
    Blahness98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Wisconsin
    Posts
    919
    Looks like another quirk with the SF rule set. Just out of curiosity, what spec did you use the first time and on the second try did you use the same one?
    Ultimate License Holder

    Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

    Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

  5. #5
    I used the same spec on each try. The issue may have been my indecision earlier on in character creation for where I wanted to put my 10 point buy but that's only speculation at this point. In the end I had stats set to 13 int (so +1) which by normal metrics means I had 9 ranks plus the two free skills but it only showed I had 9 to spend including the use of the two free skills. I manually changed it to 11 to compensate for the free skills and it has been fixed ever since, even in a new campaign (which I wanted to make sure it wasn't only fixed in the campaign I was in)

  6. #6
    I think I have the same problem.
    Human Operative 14 intel with Thief spec : showing 11 skill points (so 8 + 2 intel + 1 human), no skill points already put in the two skills...

  7. #7
    deer_buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St Louis Metro
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by Weptak View Post
    I think I have the same problem.
    Human Operative 14 intel with Thief spec : showing 11 skill points (so 8 + 2 intel + 1 human), no skill points already put in the two skills...
    Did you edit the skills to mark them as free???
    aka Laendra

    (Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

    My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

    Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

    Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Did you edit the skills to mark them as free???
    Probably not... is it the unlabeled check in the edit menu ? I was under the impression it was for marking as a class skill, as it is the only header in that section...


    EDIT : Ok, it is indeed that check box to mark as free. It would be useful to replace the "Class Skill" header label (the unaligned lock-like icon) that is still displayed when you select "edit list" and replace it with a "free skill" label.

    Capture d’écran 2021-05-04 074959.jpg
    Last edited by Weptak; May 4th, 2021 at 06:51.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Weptak View Post
    Probably not... is it the unlabeled check in the edit menu ? I was under the impression it was for marking as a class skill, as it is the only header in that section...


    EDIT : Ok, it is indeed that check box to mark as free. It would be useful to replace the "Class Skill" header label (the unaligned lock-like icon) that is still displayed when you select "edit list" and replace it with a "free skill" label.

    Capture d’écran 2021-05-04 074959.jpg
    The LIVE version of the ruleset won't receive an update till Lighting and Vision have been implemented. The latest up to date version of the ruleset is on the TEST server.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

    How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

    How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

    Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

    Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

    Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

    Have a suggestion?-Idea Informer

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Weptak View Post
    Probably not... is it the unlabeled check in the edit menu ? I was under the impression it was for marking as a class skill, as it is the only header in that section...


    EDIT : Ok, it is indeed that check box to mark as free. It would be useful to replace the "Class Skill" header label (the unaligned lock-like icon) that is still displayed when you select "edit list" and replace it with a "free skill" label.

    Capture d’écran 2021-05-04 074959.jpg
    lol I stumbled upon that myself with an Operative I had just made for SF Society!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
FG Spreadshirt Swag

Log in

Log in