5E Character Create Playlist

Drawing on Maps / Images Live

How do people get around the "pencil thin" line when using the built-in drawing tool?

Do you hot swap the image from a drawing program into the FG image folder?
    Some other method?

Blog Entries
    There's only the one thickness for drawing lines. It's an area that certainly could use some improvement.

You could do the hot swap, but I think you might loose any map pins or encounter placements on the map if you did that.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    You can open the image into GIMP, etc straight from the FG images/maps folder, edit it, save it, reload the image. Personally I just don't use the built in tools and when I need to add something to the map I use the pointers.(My maps generally are already full color and detailed because I make them in CC3+)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Personally, I wouldn't edit the map outside of FG while FG is live - I don't think I've ever done this. I'll maybe add tokens to the map, use pointers, use the mask, share record links, etc. to control what I show to the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So, no quick hand drawn maps while the game is running?

I was hoping that it worked in layers and the bottom layer was the base image.
    Then that could be swapped out as it was updated.

There are some simple "tile laying" programs for throwing together maps as well as the old fashion hand drawn ones with Paint.
    Would be nice if that was an option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greentongue View Post
    So, no quick hand drawn maps while the game is running?

I was hoping that it worked in layers and the bottom layer was the base image.
    Then that could be swapped out as it was updated.

There are some simple "tile laying" programs for throwing together maps as well as the old fashion hand drawn ones with Paint.
    Would be nice if that was an option.
    FGU will have all of this, FGC does not. (Though you can use a community layers extension for layers)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't edit the map outside of FG while FG is live - I don't think I've ever done this. I'll maybe add tokens to the map, use pointers, use the mask, share record links, etc. to control what I show to the players.
    I havent tried it either but I have seen others doing it. FG itself doesnt write to the image file so you shouldnt get any read/write conflicts but you have to reshare the whole image to all players each time you make changes.

Thread Information