FG Spreadshirt Swag

What to put in a player and master module

Hello everyone,
    I've been working on a homebrew 5e campaign and i'm creating the module for fantasy ground, (first campaign on FG as a DM ). I've seen on official books that for modules, they tend to have a player module and a master module (so that some things are hidden to the player). My campaign contains story, maps and all the classic campaign elements as well as new classes, races and background. I was wondering what should be put in the master module and what should be put in the player module.

Obviously PNJ and story do not belong in the player module, but do i put the classes and races in both or will that create duplication?
    Should I put the classes in both and only load the master module as a DM, will the classes and races be "linked" with those my players see in their player module?
    Should I put all content my player are supposed to access in the player module, and the rest in the other master module, and activate both as a DM?
    Basically, what's the good practice for separating player and master content?

Thanks

Hi Jarkfander welcome to FG.

You should put the classes, races and backgrounds (and anything else that is for the player) in a player only module. You don't need to also have those in your DM Module and you don't need the player module open in order for your players to be able to use it. If you are going to be creating characters yourself then you can use the player module to do so.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok so if i get this correctly, i'll have a DM module with:
    - Story
    - Quest
    - NPCs
    - Tables
    - Maps
    - Items
    etc.

And a player module with:
    - Races
    - Classes
    - Backgrounds

Then i only need to load my master module and the players only have to load theirs correct?
    Thanks for the answer
    Last edited by Jarkfander; June 2nd, 2019 at 14:59. Reason: characters -> players

Blog Entries
    Just follow what the existing products do—and common sense. Players need to build/maintain their characters. That's it. So classes, races, backgrounds, spells, basic gear, etc. would go in a player module. NPCs, treasure, magic items, etc. would be in the GM/DM module.

I understood that for the player module. Just seemed odd to me that the DM doesn't need to "know" the list of classes for the game to work

Blog Entries
    You're free to load the Player module if you want/need to. But in FG terms (and FG is a database under the hood) only the players need the player data. The GM/DM is using different tools (such as the Combat Tracker (CT) during combat whereas players are using their character sheets) and different data. Loading a Player module would just be to read up on a few things, not to have FG actually "use" that data for you as DM.

Ok I get it now. Thank you very much for the clarification

The player will need access to any inventory that is added by the module.. (what are best practice cases here?) We are having a hell of a time with the starfinder Dead Suns adventure path (And Starfinder in general) because some of the items are available to players and some are not. Some items you need the player module activated and some items you need the gm module activated sometimes you need both.

Quote Originally Posted by msbranin View Post
    The player will need access to any inventory that is added by the module.. (what are best practice cases here?) We are having a hell of a time with the starfinder Dead Suns adventure path (And Starfinder in general) because some of the items are available to players and some are not. Some items you need the player module activated and some items you need the gm module activated sometimes you need both.
    It all depends on where the items are in the product. If the items are not in what is considered a player resources section of the product, then they will not be in a player related module - they will be in the GM related module and it is up to the GM to share the items when needed - i.e. when found, when available for purchase, etc.. Never share a GM module with players as this can end up with a lot of FG application resources being used on the player side (and them getting access to GM only information), share individual records from the GM module as required.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information