DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How are NPC Saving Throws handled?

Hi there,

I'm new to 5E with Fantasy Grounds, and I'm not sure how FG handles NPC saving throw bonuses. So I'm playing around in the "5E Sample Campaign". If I drag an Adult Blue Dragon to the combat tracker, and it needs to make a Dexterity saving throw, how do I accurately roll this as GM in the middle of fast paced combat?

I don't see a place to click to roll the Saving Throw in the creature's line on the combat tracker. If I click on the little "fist" icon, it let's me roll an ability check, but this NPC has +7 bonus to Dex saves. So my only course of action is to bring up the individual creature, note the +7 in my head, grab a d20, roll it, and add the modifier myself to the roll. Seems like there should be a much easier way of handing this.

Thanks,

Tom

In the combat tracker entry for the creature there is a short-cut to a special statblock for that creature at the end of the line (Icon depends on the theme one uses).
    In that statblock next to the main stats there are two circles, one with an C and one with an S.
    A click on the S lets you roll a Savingthrow using this mainstat.

More information on the NPC Sheet here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...p/5E_NPC_Sheet

And details of the Combat Tracker here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Combat_Tracker

On the CT if you click on the 'Fist' icon next to the name of the NPC you'll see the saving throws listed. Double click on whatever one you need to make. Note also that in almost every case where a saving throw is required - either by an NPC or a PC that save will be 'forced' on the actor by whoever is targeting them. So if a PC were casting a spell on the dragon which required a saving throw then the cast would be make from the PC actions tab and the Dragon would make the correct save with the correct bonus. So it's fairly rare that you need to make a saving throw either directly from the NPC sheet or the area of the CT that I pointed out above.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 28th, 2019 at 10:30.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Is the possibility of manually rolling Saving throw for NPC been broken in update some how? I do not see anything under the fist Icon for save and directly from the NPC sheet I am able to roll Skills but not Saves. Nothing wants to get grab for a roll in the save section. Include a screen shot to make sure I am not missing something to obvious.
    Thanks for your help.

Save on NPC.jpg

For manual checks, double clicking on the attribute will cause a roll for that attribute with the proper modifier, but does not include the proficiency bonus. I checked over your question and not seeing an option for saving throws besides accessing the NPC sheet and double clicking from there. Same goes for skill rolls. Currently it looks like this is the only option available.
    Last edited by superteddy57; July 14th, 2020 at 05:42.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Double clicking the stat under the Fist on the combat tracker rolls a check for the NPC. Shift double clicking rolls a saving throw.

Shift double clicking on the stat in the combat tracker work great. Thanks Griogre!

Always forget the shift option. Sorry folks!
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thread Information