5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Reinstalled FG, now consistently get errors on campaign startup, among other things

Earlier today my FG had a hard crash complete with a window saying it encountered a serious problem and needed to close. Since that, I'd been experiencing a host of issues. Disabling all (previously functional) extensions alleviated some of the issues, but not all of them. As such, I decided to reinstall.

Unfortunately, while reinstalling did fix some further issues, it also created some new ones and left one untouched.

And for reference, I'm running a fully-updated FG on macOS 10.14.5. I did click the update button in FG prior to the crash this morning, but I don't remember what specifically got updated. As a rule I've been updating FG every Sunday, provided updates are available.

So here's what I'm dealing with right now:

1. While I can connect and successfully host games just fine the first time I launch FG following a restart, subsequent launches seem to have a 2/3 failure rate for no discernible reason. No settings changed, I still have the same IP and port forwarding setup. Whenever the test succeeds, players can connect without issue. I hadn't encountered this issue prior to today, but it's persisted through the reinstall (and was one of the reasons I reinstalled to begin with). I had never had cause to launch FG more than once per day prior, so it's possible this is no different from my normal, but any insight would be helpful.

2. I get a trio of ruleset errors every time I load any campaign, be it completely fresh or an existing one: Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 3.48.43 PM.png

3. Some extensions that were working prior to the crash I experienced now throw up errors galore when enabled, even for new campaigns and even after deleting and redownloading and reinstalling them. I can live without the extensions, but any general insight you might have ("have you tried doing such-and-such a super-obvious thing that's so obvious you might have not even thought to do it?" and other such things, for example) would be welcome.

All I want is to get FG working the way it was this morning, and any and all help in getting it back that way would be very much appreciated.

And yes, I did backup my FG directory and create a separate backup of my campaign directory prior to the reinstall.

Blog Entries
    Your attachment hasn't been approved yet so not sure the exact errors you are getting but, this might help.

1. What do you mean by fails? FG crashed to desktop with no error message? It crashed to desktop with an error message? The connection test fails or something else?

2. This is typically due to a corrupted or unpacked ruleset. The error should tell you what ruleset is having the problem (i.e. coreprpg.pak or 5e.pak etc.) Delete it from your folder and re-run an update.

3. Are the rulesets conflicting with each other? Are they compatible with the version of FG you are running? Just because they are the latest doesn't mean they work with the latest version of FG. BUT, it's probably because of a corrupted ruleset from #2.

Note, the weekly updates are generally for content (modules, etc) that are updated. Only a few of the newer rulesets (Symborium, 2E, C&C etc) are getting regular updates at the moment.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Your attachment hasn't been approved yet so not sure the exact errors you are getting but, this might help.

1. What do you mean by fails? FG crashed to desktop with no error message? It crashed to desktop with an error message? The connection test fails or something else?

2. This is typically due to a corrupted or unpacked ruleset. The error should tell you what ruleset is having the problem (i.e. coreprpg.pak or 5e.pak etc.) Delete it from your folder and re-run an update.

3. Are the rulesets conflicting with each other? Are they compatible with the version of FG you are running? Just because they are the latest doesn't mean they work with the latest version of FG. BUT, it's probably because of a corrupted ruleset from #2.

Note, the weekly updates are generally for content (modules, etc) that are updated. Only a few of the newer rulesets (Symborium, 2E, C&C etc) are getting regular updates at the moment.
    1. Ah, my bad. Accidentally deleted some important words when trying to rephrase things. The connection tests are what fails, and when they fail nobody can connect to me. When they succeed everyone can connect without issue. There seems to be little rhyme or reason as to when they succeed or not after the initial launch of FG.

2. "Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (charselect_local) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File[... - the rest is beyond the edge of the error display and I can't scroll it]. Also getting the same error for (charselect_import) and (imagepanelwindow)

Unfortunately no ruleset is called out, but after deleting and re-updating all the rulesets just in case, the errors have indeed vanished! Seems to have also fixed all my extension issues.

Glad such a quick fix seems to have worked! Still no idea what's going on with the connection tests, but haven't seen any failures for the past small handful of launches, and as long as things continue to work on the first launch each day then everything should be fine.

Blog Entries
    Ok, connection test means that your router is doing one of two things or a combination of both. You are not getting a consistent local IP address for your computer, and/or your router's UPnP is not updating as fast as your IP is changing.

I would go into your router and reserve/set an IP address for your computer, and then specifically port forward port 1802 to that local IP. Then your computer will always have the same local IP and your port forward will always work.

It could be your security software, but I doubt that. If the above doesn't work, then check your computer security and router settings for things like parental controls, flood protection, or bandwidth limits.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information