DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds as a Persistent Game?

Has anyone ran a game where it was "always on" and players could take there turns as time allowed?

So that people on different schedules could play together sort of like a Play by Post only using Fantasy Grounds as the engine.

Has anyone done this?

Would it even work? Why or Why not?

That is something I'd love to try. I could set up a game log in every day and then just calculate any players moves. Would be great way to play at leisure.

The only issue I see with it is tying your license up for months at a time. Leaving the server running 24/7 means your's tying up the license and can't join other games.

The main issue is that you only see things that happen in chat while you’re joined to the GMs FG server, so players who join for a brief time to do some actions wouldn’t know what had happened previously.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The main issue is that you only see things that happen in chat while you’re joined to the GMs FG server, so players who join for a brief time to do some actions wouldn’t know what had happened previously.
    The GM whole have to create a shared Story entry and keep moving stuff from the chat window to the story entry so the players could follow the story.

But you would be better to create text channel on discord for example have all your player join it and share in it what their characters do all week, and when they all get together for an evening us FG then.

I'll have to review those options.

Glad to hear that it won't timeout from sitting idle or something.

Gives me hope that since I have been able to run a PbP for over a year, this new format has that potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersandrew View Post
    The only issue I see with it is tying your license up for months at a time. Leaving the server running 24/7 means your's tying up the license and can't join other games.
    It is hard enough to find a single Hellfrost game so I'm not worried about being limited to only one.

Blog Entries
    I dont think your license is locked up as such.
    If you were hosting one game you can still connect to another from the same computer without violating the license.
    The asynchronous nature of PbP is what would make this less than ideal in my opinion.
    I have played in a long running PbP game where the GM did all char management and actions etc in FG but the players interacted only with the google doc and that way we could keep all actions in order - you could put your action/interaction above or below an existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I have played in a long running PbP game where the GM did all char management and actions etc in FG but the players interacted only with the google doc and that way we could keep all actions in order - you could put your action/interaction above or below an existing one.
    Interesting workaround.

So move plotting wasn't done directly by the players?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greentongue View Post
    Interesting workaround.

So move plotting wasn't done directly by the players?
    The GM posted FG battle maps with grids and token placements and he put A-Z on columns and 1-24 on rows and we would say "I move to C8 and cast cone of cold targetting Ettins 3 and 5 and the Goblins 3 and 4."

Thread Information