Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I have been thinking of running a long term Shadowrun game like this through Discord, hadn't yet occurred to me to manage it in FG, and screenshot battlemaps for the players when necessary. So thanks for that flash of inspiration.

In all my years of gaming (started in the 80's) I've never gotten the draw for play by post RPG games or play by email games, and yes I have tried them. IMO if you are taking the time to play an RPG Table Top (whatever your flavor Pathfinder, Savage World, Starfinder, DnD, etc. etc.) its gotta be real time.

BUT I will say it's an interesting concept to see if FG could facilitate that "play by post" type of play style for those that enjoy it. Just out of my curious nature of wanting to know how things I'm interested in work or how other people play their games I'd be interesting in at least learning how this is carried out successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    In all my years of gaming (started in the 80's) I've never gotten the draw for play by post RPG games or play by email games, and yes I have tried them.
    The "draw" is actually getting to play. Not everyone can have a set time for gaming and when you have multiple adults with Lives, getting in sync for live play is iffy. Especially multiple times in a row with the same people.

For those that don't have this sync problem you don't know how lucky you are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    In all my years of gaming (started in the 80's) I've never gotten the draw for play by post RPG games or play by email games, and yes I have tried them. IMO if you are taking the time to play an RPG Table Top (whatever your flavor Pathfinder, Savage World, Starfinder, DnD, etc. etc.) its gotta be real time.

BUT I will say it's an interesting concept to see if FG could facilitate that "play by post" type of play style for those that enjoy it. Just out of my curious nature of wanting to know how things I'm interested in work or how other people play their games I'd be interesting in at least learning how this is carried out successfully.
    For me, PbP is more like a joint writing collaboration set in a RPG world with a given set of rules for interaction. It allows for deep role play interaction and development. It's very different than TTRPG play. To me, they are not interchangeable experiences.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Was there any change to FG(U) regarding persistence since 2019?
    I'd love to have my players be able to login, drop msgs to each other and npcs in the between sessions without me running it on my pc.
    Right now I'm having them use an old school BBS, Discord and aggie.io to draw together. Having all those things in one place would be great. The biggest struggle is talking as npc (hence a BBS)
    If a GM could assign another user to be a 2nd GM would also be cool, as then I could just run the game on some VPS and GM from home.

Blog Entries
    No, the architecture is still client-server. You game has to be 'running' somewhere, and that's on your computer as there is no hosting available unless you go and stand up your own server or rent one from someplace like Amazon.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Well that can be done, but how do I GM on such server if only the host can be GM?

For Windows, I guess you could RDP to it. Not sure about Mac, and (AFAIK) FGU doesn't have a Linux release, yet, but with FGC you can probably administrate via RDP (or VNC if you run Linux locally as well).

Rather than trying to force the technology into something it is not designed for, use the proper tools for this activity. Using the right tool for a job has always been the best approach.

https://rpol.net is one of the older places where you can PbP and has dice roller as well.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nembrot View Post
    Having all those things in one place would be great. The biggest struggle is talking as npc (hence a BBS)
    Have a look at the new Player Agency Extension. Maybe tthis ticks some of your boxes.
    DnD 5e - Dungeon Crawl Classic - Savage World - DSA

Thread Information