DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Can I create PCs as a DM?

Hello. I’m a new DM who recently picked up Fantasy Grounds. I’m going to use it to host local games, mostly just using the maps and hopefully the combat tracker. I’m also interested in using it to store all of our parties PC information, such as ability scores, inventory, etc. As a DM, can I create an unlimited amount of PCs and save their sheets within FG? Could those PCs then be used over multiple campaigns?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Which ruleset are you going to use?

You can create a campaign that you create/edit your PCs in, and then you can export them - then can import them into a campaign to use as you wish. Depending on the ruleset you're using, you may be able to export them as "Pregnerated characters" into a module - allowing you to open that module in another campaign and import the pregens you want. Or, if pregen export isn't available in the ruleset you're using, you can use the /exportchar command to export the PCs into an XML file that you can then load into another campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the quick response. I’m so new that I’m unsure of which ruleset I’m using. I play D&D 5e.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeatho View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I’m so new that I’m unsure of which ruleset I’m using. I play D&D 5e.
    That'll be the 5E ruleset. You can export as pregenerated characters into a module - this is probably your most flexible approach as you can load only the PCs you want into your campaigns.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Fantastic! Thanks! Do you know if there is any kind of limit on how many PCs you can create. Was hoping to have 16-20 going. Also, do the PCs get saved on the FG server, or my hard drive? Thanks so much for your help.

There's no limit.

Maybe just how many you're prepared to scroll through!

Also, do the PCs get saved on the FG server, or my hard drive?
    Nothing gets saved on the FG servers - it's all on your local hard drive.

Click the folder icon in the top right corner of the main FG startup screen to get to the FG App data directory. Information on the contents of this directory can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Files_Overview

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Nothing gets saved on the FG servers - it's all on your local hard drive.

Click the folder icon in the top right corner of the main FG startup screen to get to the FG App data directory. Information on the contents of this directory can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Files_Overview
    Thanks again for all of your help. Do you suppose buying the PHB on FG would assist me in creating PCs?

Thanks again for all of your help. Do you suppose buying the PHB on FG would assist me in creating PCs?
    Yes, it will - as it has all of the PHB data, allowing drag/drop to the character sheet.

See this video for an overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeUCreating The terminology wise, the "character packs" are just a subset of the PHB - the PHB has all the character packs.

Thread Information