5E Character Create Playlist

LFP for weekly 4e game on Thursday’s.

I am starting a 4e campaign. I have been roleplaying for 30 plus years since 2nd edition. 4e happens to be my favorite edition.

What I am looking for: players that won’t be afk or doing something else while role playing.

What I am offering: a weekly 4e game running LOD module. 5-6 players if we even get that many. Ultimate so no subscription needed.

I have had some bad experiences in the past with min maxing in 4e so the chars will be pre made. What’s available:
    A wood elf cleric,
    Dwarf fighter shield focus,
    Minotaur Barbarian,
    Kalashtar Bard,
    A elf ranger,
    A war forged paladin,
    A saytr warlock,
    A Eladrin wizard,
    A thiefling Rogue
    If you have a char you would really like me to input I will do so if it’s for roleplaying reasons. If it’s because your build gives a +1 bonus over mine and does way more damage then nah.

Oh this campaign is based on Eberron. I am a newbie to it so please be patient with me. Please post here with which char you would like to play or the role you would like to play. This will start in the last week of May. I am pretty open to the day.

Druthlen

Question (not because i am lazy, but because i am way too busy to look it up.) What is the difference between 4e and 5e? I started playing D&D in the 70s then moved to other games like shadowrun, mechwarrior, battletech, warhammer, other SSI games, etc... then Videogames and MTG, and came back to D&D with 5e, so really don't know the difference between 2,3,4 and 5.

all I have paid attention to was the ranger which until 5e was almost as useless as a bard. The 5e Revised Ranger finally balances the Ranger into a useful Character.

Back in original game (1e?) I played a Pally but we also played with items like the deck of many items, well actually there was a chance that you could find or get anything on the book based on the DMs RNG loot tables. Which was great as the best DMs had made their own worlds so you could find an ancient blaster, which of course would blow up in your face in a fumble roll) that you could use against and non-magic creature.

I ask because I am cutting back my online video game time so I can spend more time playing RPGs like D&D and starfinder and others. So my question is, would a 4e game offer as much character development as a 5e character has?

IMO dnd 4e would best be described as a stand-alone product and should have been called D&D Tactics. It puts a lot of emphasis on the tactical side of multiple combatants, zones of control, limiting movement, using status effects. It’s a lot to track and fairly complex. I don’t know about the true functionality of the ranger. He can do a lot of damage but never played on in depth. It’s my favorite edition but it’s not palatable to most DND players because it is so different than any other edition of DND.

Also it got quite bloated and broken as they released content without much thought to balance and that is why I won’t allow a lot of content/control content that is in my game.

got you, there are a lot of turn based Vgame that were ruined, IMHO, by removing the turn and having all movements happen at the same time. It took the tactics out of the game and just turned them into zerg rushes.

Say did you post the same some where else? It look familiar.
    There is a line drawn between the darkness and the light, the question is; Where do you stand, in the Darkness, in the Light or on the Line?
    Yes there are three choices not just two.
    LeJohn #1574

What time on Thursday?
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”- Thorin Oakenshield, J.R.R. Tolkien

I posted it on the 4e forum as well. I was thinking 5 to 9 or 6 to 10.

Druthlen

Curses, I’m not out of work until 9 est so that rules me out.
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”- Thorin Oakenshield, J.R.R. Tolkien

Cool, If I can get Wednesdays off, maybe I can join. I am new to fantasy grounds, but I am vary familiar with 4th edition. (It's my favorite version of DND too.) More curious on how to import / run 4E on the FG platform. Have near all the 4E books, but how to translate to FG for even building a PC seems like a daunting task. So prefab chars is a bit of relief.

We have changed to Saturdays from 6pm to 10pm CST. If you can fit it please PM me.

Druthlen

Session zero Questions and answers:

1) How will we handle absent players? Someone else plays them for the session? Ignore them for the session? GM plays them (not recommended, GMs have enough to do)?

GM: In combat someone should control their actions, not to cripple the party with an important role down, but out of combat they're passive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2) How to give levels/XP? XP can be done manually or set up and given via party sheet, but a lot of GMs just inform the group that "they can level now" and that is the easiest way, I think.

GM: You'll gain XP for combat, skill challenges (encounters as such), quests, and personal quests that you can write into your background.
    3) Magic Items:

a) Ignore rarity but use limited item daily power rule, or use rarity but have no limit on the item daily powers? In case we use rarity, can we only ever buy common items?

GM: I've only ever played with the original daily item limit, so I'd prefer to do that.

b) Do we find random magic items, items that the adventure gives us, or do you require us to write up an Item Wishlist?

GM: A Wishlist would be welcomed, but if you get any of it won't be guaranteed. I'll certainly let you find stuff that is useful, but maybe not exactly what you wished for.

c) What about Alternative Rewards (boons, grandmaster training etc)? Are those available?

GM: I don't have much experience with that, so I'll be careful: for starters nope, but maybe in the future.

d) Will we be able to sell items at full price, half price, 20% ? Or does that depend on the specific location?

GM: Magic items sell for 50%, mundane items sell for 25%.
    4) Feat taxes: As the math of 4e doesn't work out over time, chars need to take expertise and defense feats, some GMs decided to make a call on those and give one free expertise feat on 1st level and one free defense feat on level 5. How about it? (It's totally okay if we don't do this, but it would be awesome if we did)

GM: I see the point of them, but heroic tier it doesn't make too much of a difference. I'll probably give one per tier, so one at level 11, one at level 21.
    5) Ritual components: Do Ritual casters need to have the specific components in advance, or do we just subtract the gold from our inventory, for ease of play?

GM: Just subtract the gold.
    6) How much do we need to track everyday living costs (common meals etc)?

GM: That will depend on the PC; extravagant stuff will cost you, but if it's just the most basic stuff, we won't track it.
    7) How about Ammo?

GM: Track ammunition with mundane items, but don't with magic items. (With magic items it is assumed that the ammunition just kinda reappears)
    8) Are there any house rules we should be aware of?

GM: No Character Themes. If something else comes up, we can add it later.
    9) Will we use the Fantasy Grounds Crit/fumble tables?

GM: No.
    10) Are there any restrictions for building characters (Dragonmark feats for example etc)?

GM: Apart of "no theme", no, everything is allowed for now. If things/builds get too crazy and break the game, I will ask you to build it differently though.
    11) Should we just assume all the characters know each other from the start? Will there be some sort of 'gathering the group together play' ? We could just all be fresh members of some 'Adventurer's club', that was sought out to hire some people for the first adventure, that way we'd kind of know each other, but not really that well yet.

GM: Let's assume that you all know and trust each other.
    12) Do you prefer Skills to be rolled openly or in the Dice Tower?

GM: I like the Dice tower mechanic.

Character Creation:

GM: You can just claim a premade, but I'm also fine if you build your own, if it's not game breaking.

-> NO Character Theme allowed.

-> You do get a mechanical background of your choice.

-> You should write a background story that contains at least one or two "personal quests". The game to be played is a published module, but the character backgrounds will be woven into the story; also bringing your personal quest to a resolution will be rewarded with XP.

-> An Item wishlist would be preferred, but take into account that there is no guarantee that you will get any of it.
    Last edited by Llyle; May 26th, 2019 at 03:20.
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

Thread Information