5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zisse View Post
    Is there a public explanation, why there is such a price difference? This actually was the reason for me and My friends to reconsider and move from R20 to FG.
    The prices are set by WotC. When the original FG 5E products were first released, WotC set the Fantasy Grounds product prices the same as the printed product for all WotC 5E material. After a while, assuming after better than expected sales (my guess), SmiteWorks managed to re-evaluate the prices for FG 5E WotC products, and we saw price reductions in the FG store. Around the same time D&D Beyond reduced their prices to the same level, and sometime later Roll20 followed suit on some older 5E products.

So, we now have the possibility of WotC allowing a lower price for digital material (Fantasy Grounds, D&D Beyond, Roll20, etc.) but it's up to the individual platform to decide what actual price they sell at - either the reduced "digital" price, or the RRP of the printed product. For example, Ghosts of Saltmarsh has just been released - the WotC printed product RRPG is $49.95 which is what Roll20 sell it for. But Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond sell it for $29.99.

Then there's the FG bundles and products frequently available during sales. Based on the comments in the Roll20 post linked by Kelrugem it looks like these are pretty rare on Roll20, but I'm not that experienced with that so can't provide complete feedback on if/when they have sales or other reductions beyond their advertised price.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 24th, 2019 at 14:45.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information