5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: Dice lag

Dice lag

Hello

In my actual campaign I recently got dice lag, e.g. on attack rolls of the player characters (but only on my side, not on the player's side; this happens when the player uses the attack roll but also when I trigger their attack).

The strange thing is that I can resolve that by decreasing the number of effects on that character (e.g. they have five effects with dice lag but there is no lag when there is just one effect on them) or by turning the effects off. The number of effects on other characters doesn't affect it, only the number of effects on that one character (who rolls the attack) seems to be important. Is this some known issue?

When I copy that character to another different campaign with the same number of effects (or with even more effects) and with the same extensions then it works suddenly, no lag anymore. But in that one campaign (or copies of that) there is this dice lag I tried to unshare all images etc. but only turning off the effects solves the lag issue.

Does one know what to do?

Thanks in advance

Best wishes,

Kelrugem

EDIT: To be more explicit: The rolls of the dice are not laggy themselves but FG slowly stops and I can not move the mouse for a short time. So, the physical die seems to be rendered later while stopping the program until the rendering can start. There is no lag of the message about the die outcome in the chat
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 20th, 2019 at 05:40.

What ruleset?

What extensions are you using?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    The rolls of the dice are not laggy themselves but FG slowly stops and I can not move the mouse for a short time. So, the physical die seems to be rendered later while stopping the program until the rendering can start. There is no lag of the message about the die outcome in the chat
    There is a lot of code ran when an action (dice roll) is made - and this includes checking through effects and applying them to the roll. Each FG ruleset usually has their own effect code parsing.

Are you running any extensions that impact effects?

How complex are the 5 effects you mention?

Is there a specific effect line that makes the issue worse?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for your answers

It is 3.5e; I have some extensions, but I try to figure out with which effects and extensions this always happens to avoid writing unnecessary informations The strange thing is however that in a new campaign with the same effects and extensions this does not happen and therefore I was not sure if something with my actual campaign went wrong at some point

I write again when I find time to test again which extensions could be problematic

okay, the lag also occurs without any extension. The effects I was looking at are in the following picture:

screenshot0008.png

When I turn some effects off as in the picture then I can not sense any lag anymore; funnily the effects I turned off are just effects for information The picture was also taken from a copy of my actual campaign but I erased a lot of its stuff (like the other characters) to see whether other things produce this lag, too. And the extensions were turned off.

But still, importing exactly the same character with the same effects in a new campaign results into no lags, also when all effects are on again and extensions are loaded

Based on your image, I will say that the effects were not meant to be a place to add all the various full text notes for the various conditional modifiers for a character. The effect system is for short modifier strings, or short label reminders; not descriptive textual notes. Since the effect system is doing a lot of text processing in a scripting language, you might be running into a situation where the volume of text being processed is having an impact.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Based on your image, I will say that the effects were not meant to be a place to add all the various full text notes for the various conditional modifiers for a character. The effect system is for short modifier strings, or short label reminders; not descriptive textual notes. Since the effect system is doing a lot of text processing in a scripting language, you might be running into a situation where the volume of text being processed is having an impact.

Regards,
    JPG
    Ah, okay Thank you very much, then I will erase that unnecessary information

Thread Information