5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Fantasy Grounds Unity - will we still be able to use "old" Fantasy Grounds license?

Hi guys .. so I saw this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ity?ref=1aurap

which looks pretty awesome.. I wish I was in a financial position to fund the kickstarter program but unfortunately I am not

What I'm wondering is this... I have a very old but (hopefully) still valid license I purchased back in... oh my gosh, maybe 12, 15 years ago :P

When Fantasy Grounds Unity starts, will the old version of Fantasy Grounds be discontinued? That is, my license will no longer be good and I will have to purchase a Fantasy Grounds Unity license instead?

Assuming I'm in luck and I can just keep running "old fashioned Fantasy Grounds" when the Unity version comes out... to be honest it's going to be a while... literally 6 to 8 years or so into the future :P .... before I can even think of gamesmastering an FG game let alone participating as a player (kids are now old enough to be looking at attending college/university so I have to transition out from stay at home dad to working dad to help pay for their university expenses ... which I think will keep me busy for minimally next six years maybe eight) .. if I want to keep my old FG license "valid" do I need to log into FG on a periodic basis? Or worst case scenario even if it's years into the future just email the FG people directly and ask to have my license reinstated? (then again maybe 8 years from now when the kids are out of university I can put that cash towards FG Unity which would make my whole question pointless anyways :P .. still it would be nice to know )

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, I tried searching the forum but got an error message so I guess google chrome must hate me right now or something

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies

Blog Entries
    The current version of FG, now typically referred to as FGC (FG Classic) will continue to work for some extended time period after FGU is publicly (~ December) released. We don't know what that time period is (and as far as we know has not been decided), but it seems conservative to say it will at least be several years. 6-8 years though probably not, because by then operating system changes and technology changes will probably render it obsolete and a challenge to run. I also suspect because of the way it is currently setup, your license will still be usable with the last released version of FGC (whenever that is last released) as long as your computer and O/S etc can still run it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Something to keep in mind - FGC and FGU will not connect to each other. Whereas FGC will work for a number of years, you’ll also need players using FGC to connect.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Got it ... thank you both very much for your replies ... one other question .. Fantasy Grounds Unity ...LordEntrails you raised an excellent point , old fashioned FG might be so out of date by the time I'm ready to game again .. and my players might be running Windows 12 or Windows 15 or whatever version they come up with by then :P .. so I may have to just go ahead and buy the Unity license by then.... rough estimate, would it cost $40 for a Standard License (lifetime) such that I can continue to host games as a gamesmaster as long as my players also have a Standard (Unity) License?

I believe that the pricing for Unity hasn't been finalised, but you can expect it to be at least the same as a Standard license is now.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks Zacchaeus - I'm guessing that means it's not yet confirmed (but probably likely) that if I have a Standard license I can still host/run games as a gamesmaster as long as my players also have a standard license under the Unity release?

Blog Entries
    Actually, the post Kickstarter prices for FGU have been listed. They are on the kickstarter page somewhere. I'm on my phone so I can't check at the moment and find them, but another user mentioned it in another form Post in the last day or two

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrepartthree View Post
    Thanks Zacchaeus - I'm guessing that means it's not yet confirmed (but probably likely) that if I have a Standard license I can still host/run games as a gamesmaster as long as my players also have a standard license under the Unity release?
    Yes the way the license works won’t change so a Standard Unity license will be able to host a game as long as the players also have a Standard license.
    I thought you were referring to the cost of an upgrade from Classic to Unity, and that has not been published assuming that it will be available. The cost of an FGU new license will as LE says be the same as Classic is now.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

got it - thanks to all of you very much

Blog Entries
    You're getting a pretty solid discount on the price in Kickstarter as someone who already has a license.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information