DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Or you could use the community Universal Modules extension by @damned to load the module directly into your 5E campaign: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dule-Extension
    I feel like this is kind of asking for trouble, though, right? The NPC's and items are going to be specific to the 2E ruleset and create problems and errors in my 5e campaign, won't they? I haven't messed with that module much, but I have had corrupted campaigns before which was making me want to import only the very safe subset of content into my non 2E campaign.

Or you could use the community Universal Modules extension by @damned to load the module directly into your 5E campaign: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dule-Extension
    I feel like this is kind of asking for trouble, though, right? The NPC's and items are going to be specific to the 2E ruleset and create problems and errors in my 5e campaign, won't they? I haven't messed with that module much, but I have had corrupted campaigns before which was making me want to import only the very safe subset of content into my non 2E campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Just don't open the stuff that won't work.

And, as the module is read-only, you're not going to get any changed data and no campaign data changes or corruption even if you do open stuff that doesn't work.

If you've had campaign corruption before - are you using any cloud sync/backups on your FG data directories?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Just don't open the stuff that won't work.

And, as the module is read-only, you're not going to get any changed data and no campaign data changes or corruption even if you do open stuff that doesn't work.
    Interesting. You've given me some stuff to think about. Enabling cross-ruleset modules globally still feels like a big hammer to handle a single module conversion, but I do follow what you're saying. I'll think about my options.

If you've had campaign corruption before - are you using any cloud sync/backups on your FG data directories?
    I am well aware of the concurrent filesystem access issue you're getting at with this question. There's a detailed troubleshooting thread in my post history that includes several other immortals and a dev, and we didn't get to the bottom of it. I am not using cloud backup software, though. In the end I had to re-create my campaign from scratch, which was viable as it was pretty young. And I now have meticulous backups that are "safe" in that they don't cause concurrent access to the FG data dir and I haven't had a problem since that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    And I now have meticulous backups that are "safe" in that they don't cause concurrent access to the FG data dir and I haven't had a problem since that thread.
    Cool.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

i have regularly used 5e modules in the Rolemaster rule set though I hacked a beta version of the rule set i had been given access to to modify to access official 5e material,all i needed to do was to add fresh combat encounters and NPC's for Rolemaster. Any way I attach a copy of the module with the read only access removed. Could i ask that if someone does produce a 5e version of this adventure they share it please
    Attached Files Attached Files

77 downloads, that's more than any official module I have been involved in has sold!

Multi-Ruleset Adaptation

Hey folks, I adapted this to open in any ruleset by stripping out the resources that are ruleset specific.

Here's a changelog:

• Exported from a CoreRPG campaign. I don't think this makes any difference in the result, but many d20 systems are build on CoreRPG so it seemed to be the best starting point for a module targeting broad ruleset compatibility.
    • Removed all NPC's
    • Removed all items
    • Removed all encounters, and links to them from stories
    • Removed all parcels, and links to them from stories
    • 001.0001 Expanded the conversion notes
    • 001.0013 Fixed extra line-break
    • 001.0017 Italicized lesson
    • 001.0019 Fixed extra line-break
    • 001.0021 Fixed extra line-breaks
    • 001.0026 Fixed extra line-break
    • 001.0034 Put lesson into its own paragraph and italicized

Here's some oddities I noticed while going through the module, nothing particularly of consequence but FYI in case Hawkwind didn't already notice them:
    • The PDF is called "Tomb of the Serpent Kings", note the plural. The module uses the singular in the module filename, and in various categories.
    • The name of the story category doesn't match the image/table category name (those two do match).
    • 001.009 Links to the skeleton jelly encounter when the text calls for a plain old skeleton.
    • 001.0034 has a typo: "scarifice smoke tra", both "sacrifice" and "trap" are mis-spelled.

I considered a 5e adaptation, but decided against it for the following reasons:

• It's a lot more work, obviously. This was purely removing content. Integrating with 5E would involve creating new versions of all the stuff I ripped out.
    • This ruleset agnostic module opens in a 5E campaign just fine. Obviously it forgoes a lot of automation and integration, but players can have their 5E character sheets and the DM can run NPC's without automation like a pen and paper campaign.
    • The story text is really good at filling in the bits I ripped out. Each monster already had a story-entry describing it's abilities. All the encounters and parcels are well described in the room text, so running the adventure without automation feels quite natural.
    • Thinking about keeping the AD&D 2E and CoreRPG variants in sync gives me a bit of a headache. I see now why Trenloe suggests just using the universal module extension. There's no mechanism at all for keeping the story entries in sync between Hawkwind's 2E dev campaign and my CoreRPG dev campaign. I'd have to diff the db.xml files in each new module release from Hawkwind and hand-copy the edits. Adding a deeply integrated 5E dev campaign into the mix makes that problem even worse.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pollux; October 23rd, 2019 at 05:15.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I downloaded the file but I have a question.

When I pull it up in FGU the player's map and the DM's map are exactly the same. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance...

Thread Information