DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgain View Post
    good point Rodney! I have used that pdf a lot in my games to add more fun to spellcasting.

Also, GM's should remember that the rules are for a 'sandbox' - you can do pretty much whatever you like with stuff, if you just want spellcasters to gain new powers when they take the edge, then do it. If you want it to be a major pain in the rear - then do that. I run 3 fantasy based games and I use different rules for each one. Makes it a lot more fun for me as the GM. I have to use a cheat sheet to keep track of our rules - and I was majorly glad to see that they included a list in the SWADE rules for just that.
    Thank you guys, for all the advice! I can see that SW very much is a sandbox. When I started learning all the mechanics, I could see things that I liked and other things where I wanted to change the way it worked and saw no problem doing so. I'm very much impressed with this ruleset. I am trying to run a wild west/steampunk campaign in 5e but I can see this fits the bill much better.

Mike
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

When I first started playing SW I also saw a lot of things I wanted to change. But after playing it for a while I realised that the whole thing hangs together in a much more coherent way than most other systems, and there was hardly anything that actually needed changing. So my advice is run it RAW to begin with so you can see how well balanced and playable it really is.

And if you want to run a steampunk style game, SW is definitely the best choice! You might also find the Deadlands and Rippers Resurrected settings to have some great additional material too.
    Game Streams - twitch.tv/rodney418
    Ultimate License
    - All you need to play in my games is Fantasy Grounds Demo

Favourite Rulesets: Savage Worlds
    Currently Running: Pirates of the Spanish Main, Interface Zero, Primeval Thule
    Time Zone: PST

When I first read savage worlds, there were lots of things that looked dumb on paper but after actually playing with them they turned out to be awesome. So I second the advice above to play it RAW first and then tinker after
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Find the place of ancient power, where the stones still stand tall and the druids did once commune with the old gods.
    Sacrifice a black goat at 6 minutes past the moons zenith on the winter solstice.
    Spill the creatures entrails into an onyx bowl and read the foretelling revealed there.
    Take the creatures blood and paint the power runes as guided by the foretelling.
    Do not tarry nor waver in your resolve.
    Those that grant the power do so only to the worthy.
    Wear the goats head and face the sun as it breaks the horizon on the new dawn and with a cold forged silver blade draw forth 6 ounces of thine own blood and paint the runes on your own body.
    Keep thine hand steady for the spirits are close and they thirst for the blood of the weak and unworthy.
    Finally make your pact offering, swear unto the dark ones and pray they accept your present.
    This is the way we've been doing it, but after rereading the SWADE rules I see it's been changed.

You can't really say "blast is wizards only" because blast it a template. Here's an example of something you can do in a fantasy setting:
    druids get insect swarm (blast with insect trapping)
    elementalists get fireball (blast with fire trapping)
    priests get holy light (blast with sacred light trapping; doesn't hurt party members or town guards but does extra damage against undead and evil things)
    psions get mental shriek (blast with psychic trapping; alternative rule: it could do fatigue rather than wounds)
    wizards get chain lightning (blast with lightning trapping, a chain that jumps between everyone in the radius)
    shamans get ancestral rage (blast with spirits that pummel your energy body)

I am running a fantasy game with base SWADE rules for two years, my advice after that is to really ask your players to give every power an awesome trapping. I don't think the GM needs to pre define all ackgrounds before but I would tell my players that I keep the right to veto powers for certain backgrounds (for example got one player that made a metal mage as a trapping, stun was a huge bell that rings above enemies to stun them etc but he wanted healing, so its a mix of needle work and metal bandages and it still feels weird...I should have made it clear that its the players job to explain how their powers work, metal bandages are fine but he couldn't give me a good explanation how his metal magic works against poisons so far)

Quote Originally Posted by ChoTimberwolf View Post
    he couldn't give me a good explanation how his metal magic works against poisons so far)
    An ominously glowing device with all kinds of vials, tubes, and a Jacob's Ladder? He shoves some steampunk Activated Charcol down their throats, which they then heave up at a later time?

So far my only real issues are the monotony you can get with skills in Dramatic Tasks, the limited outline for extra raises, and something more for games where Vehicles play a bigger role. I am eagerly awaiting Sci-Fi companion.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thread Information