STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Lost all my notes and characters

So I went to open FG tonight for my session and it appears that my session only partially exists now. All my PC's are gone, all my notes are gone and when my players try to connect they can see nothing. I went through and tried to restore a previous session (by renaming a backup db.xml) with the same results. Any ideas what might be going on?

In the same place you found the backup file you should see a number of other files called db.session.xxxxxxxxx.xml. These are session backups of your campaign. First make a back up of the entire campaign folder and then rename the db.xml file to something like dbold.xml or whatever. Then look for the session file with the most recent date or largest file size and rename it to db.xml and then start FG. If the first one doesn't have everything try the next one. You may find that there is still some stuff missing but you should be able to recover most of it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the reply. I've gone back to every session for the last five months and it's still the same results. All the players still say they see the active quests and all the images and hot keys, but not their character sheets and notes. The party tab and combat tracker is also empty.

Please post the latest session xml file you have her so we can check it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here it is. Thank you so much.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by mysterowl View Post
    Here it is. Thank you so much.
    Thanks for posting. That file looks about the right size, but is full of NULL characters, which isn't correct.

What operating system are you running on? Can you open any of the .xml files in a text editor and see structured XML?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Windows 10 and yes, I can view in a text editor.

Looking through the xml I can see a bunch of my character data, including their names and what looks like their inventories etc...don't know if that helps or not.

Looking at the file you attached - it has two .xml file extensions (.xml.xml) - in Windows file explorer check that you have "File name extensions" enabled in the "View" tab - and then make sure that the file you're renaming to db.xml are actually db.xml and not db.xml.xml (when View -> "File name extensions" is enabled).

That totally did the trick. User error on the naming of the files. Thank you so much for taking the time to help and I'm proud to back such a great company in our endeavors. Can't wait for Unity!

Thread Information