5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Wireless PC Mouse Recommendations for Fantasy Grounds

Well met to everyone. I need recommendations for a PC mouse that works well with Fantasy grounds, my current mouse a Logitech m705 rolls too many dice and I have trouble dragging and dropping dice. Can someone suggest a new mouse or possible setting changes to the mouse to help avoid this problem? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I use the M705 myself. Love them. But they do go bad sometimes. Especially the left click sensor. Which is probably what you are experiencing. Personally, I would just get another one as mine last for 3-5 years of daily use. But, if you want something different, uh, I don't know

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the information, I was hoping for a few more suggestions...

Find a mouse that is comfortable for the size of your hand and that has a mouse-wheel and middle-button functionality (whether that’s pushing in the mouse wheel or an actual middle button).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I hate to beat a dead horse but I'm still looking for brands of mouses or model numbers. Is there something I could do with the mouse sensitivity as far as adjusting it? I try and drag and drop dice and once I click on them to do this, they start rolling. This happens about 50% of the time.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you have downloaded and installed the Logitech SetPoint mouse driver and are not using the default Windows driver. It has numerous sensitivity settings you can adjust

Is the mouse new? Because the behavior you are describing matches what I see after several years of use and see when the left click sensor is going bad.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hey thanks I'll try looking into the drivers and see if that's an issue otherwise I might just buy the same mouse. Overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidbat View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse but I'm still looking for brands of mouses or model numbers. Is there something I could do with the mouse sensitivity as far as adjusting it? I try and drag and drop dice and once I click on them to do this, they start rolling. This happens about 50% of the time.
    It sounds like the mouse button is starting to fail. Does this kind of thing happen outside of FG? For example, if you try to drag an icon around on your OS desktop, does the item reliably stick with the mouse cursor or does it drop off on its own randomly?

As for choosing a new mouse to buy, it's hard to give specific recommendations because it is such a subjective decision. You should probably go to a computer store and try each mouse that otherwise fits your needs, and see what's most comfortable for you. As far as Fantasy Grounds is concerned, any mouse with two normal buttons, a scroll wheel, and a middle button (usually clicking in the scroll wheel) meets every technical need. I stay away from the mice with extra buttons (browser forward and back, programmable buttons, etc) because I only end up pressing them by accident, usually at the worst time. Fewer things to break, too. YMMV

Sadly the Logitech mice (and several other brands) are known to wear out the micro switches after as little as one year of use. At work I get one year out of them, at home, I get about three years. Usually only the left mouse button switch dies as it is the most used.

I know of several people who after using up their second identical mouse perform surgery to take the right switch from an older mouse (same model) and transplant it into the newer mouse as the left switch. This may give you another year of use out of it, but does require soldering skills.

Not worth it to do on the cheaper mouse variants, but on their premium mice, maybe yes. My second mouse is starting to give out now too, so might try this solution as well. My preference is the Logitech Performance MX. I like its size and ergonomics.

It is also possible to perform surgery on the micro switch to revitalize it for a period. I did this on one mouse and it lasted another six months at work. I've also had some stop working before the one year warranty expires, and they will ship a replacement for it.

Google for mouse double click problems and you'll find lots of articles discussing the issue. There are better quality micro switches out there, but it can be tough to find one in the exact same size and hole spacing.

My mice used to last me decades before failing and replacing them. Usually by components just finally wearing out on the case, the switches kept going. The action on those switches is a lot more robust, taking more pressure to operate. These days, 'everyone' wants hyper fast gaming mice action. The lighter action wears out faster.

You remember the old mice where the only thing you had to do was pull out the ball and clean the ball and switches with alcohol on q-tips, man those were the days.

Thread Information