FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 52 of 58 First ... 2425051525354 ... Last

MTF Eladrin subrace - does not correctly give +1 Charisma

When I create an Eladrin and even carefully choosing from the multiple Eladrin versions in the Elf subrace list to make sure I get the one from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, it doesn't get the ability score increase correct. It still gives +1 intelligence (correct for the DMG version, but not MTF) instead of the +1 charisma.
    The combined screenshot here shows on top the text link of the Eladrin I am choosing and bottom part shows the chat log showing the increase is applied to intelligence instead. (Also what happens in actual score). Ideally also the longer more descriptive and Eladrin specific Fey Step text that is in the actual Subracial Trait would be inserted into character Trait instead of just the shortened version that does not include the season specific information. Thank you.

Eladrin MTF ability score.jpg

This is working correctly for me. Perhaps try closing the DMG players since it isn't needed if you want the MToF version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you Zacchaeus. Temporarily unloading the DMG does fix both issues, the Ability Score increase as well as the text of Fey step to be from MToF. Not an extreme amount of work for a workaround, but it still means that that something wasn't working right in the subrace choice list when there are multiple versions/sources.

Quote Originally Posted by mshall View Post
    Thank you Zacchaeus. Temporarily unloading the DMG does fix both issues, the Ability Score increase as well as the text of Fey step to be from MToF. Not an extreme amount of work for a workaround, but it still means that that something wasn't working right in the subrace choice list when there are multiple versions/sources.
    I don't know; I had the DMG version open as well when I tested and it worked multiple times. I could not replicate your issue so I'm not sure what might be going on. My suggestion to close the DMG version was only because that was the one which was being picked.

EDIT: Wait I can replicate the issue. It was your mention of DMG - I was assuming that you were using the DMG (Players) module but if you have the DMG itself open then the issue occurs. This is because there is only one subrace in the DMG version and that's the one that gets picked if you have the DMG open. (I tested this players side and of course they only have the DMG Players version of the DMG). In the DMG Players I have distinguished the Eladrin subrace by giving it a different name but I omitted to do that in the DMG itself. I think I might just remove that race from the DMG altogether.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 23rd, 2019 at 09:24.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you again Zacchaeus. I played with it a bit more. I find that when I use the checkbox method from the "Select sub-race" box it seems to default to the DMG version even if I have dragged over an original Elf link from MToF or "MToF Players" in the Race box (I tried both of those to see if it made a difference). In other words it doesn't really matter where the "Elf" came from the select sub-race box gets its choices from all open methods -- In the select sub-race box there are three choices for Eladrin, with one of them, the second in my list, labeled "Eladrin (DMG)" though the text of both of the first two in my list correspond to those DMG stats. I can click the link of each to see the text and even if I pick the one with the right description it still seems to execute as if it was the DMG version no matter which of them I use. Obviously I don't know the code behind this sub-race selection box but it acts like it takes whichever one is first if there are multiple of that type of subrace.

HOWEVER, I found one additional workaround that doesn't require closing the DMG -- instead of choosing the subrace radio button and clicking the checkmark to execute, I can either (1) drag over that subrace link to my player character from that sub-race choice-box, or (2) open up the MToF reference or Race link list, click Elf, then go the Eladrin subrace and drag that link directly to the player character.

Thanks so much for all you do for the community -- you are on the forums, discord, etc., and have made a ton of very helpful videos. I don't know when you have time to sleep, but I appreciate all the help you give to everyone.
    Last edited by mshall; December 23rd, 2019 at 13:30.

Indeed, you are correct in that choosing the subrace directly or choosing it from the Library does not cause any issues. But doing so from the check box in Races does. I have amended the subrace name in the DMG to Eladrin (DMG) and that fixes the issue. I did consider removing the race altogether but that might break some existing characters.

I have used the search function, but could not find anything, although when it happened to me yesterday, someone said, "yes, that happens all the time, and here's how to fix it…"

I was trying to upload a character.XML file to a game. Strangely, while the uploaded character of my screen showed the correct ability scores, the dice were affected as if I had straight tens. After a reconnect, the character sheet showed to me all tens as well.

The solution that was given me along the lines of "that's normal, and here's what we do" was: re-enter the ability scores manually, after which the character worked fully as intended. [It bears noting that neither hit points, talents, selection of spells, features, racial abilities nor class abilities were similarly affected.]

I have seen this reported a couple of times; but I don't think the cause has ever been established. I'm sure JPG is aware though.

Roach,

Does it happen every time you import that XML? If so, can you post the XML file?

Thanks,
    JPG

Not only every time I import that .XML, but it seems to happen with any XML. I just tested it. Created a completely new campaign w/o extensions, logged into that campaign with a demo account from another computer and back out. Started character management and imported two completely different characters into that campaign. Logged back into that campaign and imported these two characters – on the client the characters looked okay, ability checks were rolled with the correct bonus and everything. Went to my main computer – the DM computer –, looked at the character by clicking on the portrait top left and all abilities reset to 10. At the same moment, on the screen of the client the abilities also reset. Both characters simultaneously.

I can send you a zip with the two characters I used for testing, but as it happened with yet another character during actual play, I would say it always happens.

I have to admit, I'm not sure whether the abilities had been reset when I noticed my initiative had been rolled w/o DEX bonus. but I remember complaining to the DM about the missing +2, so it [
    should have been still visible at that time.
    Last edited by Roach; December 27th, 2019 at 06:58. Reason: süelling added info

Thread Information