DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How to output different results from table?

I'm looking for a way to have different outputs from a random table.

This is a basic idea of what I want to do:

Roll 1d3

Result 1: Encounter with Monster A
    Result 2: Encounter with 1d3 Monster B
    Result 3: Parcel with 1d3 random items

1. I can do this with multiple nested tables and output to chat, but it looks very sloppy.
    2. I think I should be able to obtain the first two results with using a table linking to the random encounter generator. But I'm not getting it to work (if just creating a table testing this). I might just be misunderstanding how the random encounter generator works.
    3. I'm really tripped up on how to get one table to export one OR an other output result (an encounter OR a parcel).

Is this even possible?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheSwartz; May 8th, 2019 at 08:11.
    Join my DCC RPG Road Crew via Fantasy Grounds! info @ https://www.indygaming.com/roadcrew/

"Why do squares have more sides than triangles?"

A table can only output to one thing or another. You can't have it output to different things depending on the result.

So in your example above I would create an encounter for A, a random encounter for B. For C it will depend on where you are getting the items. If a table already exits then you can call that table 1d3 times. If the items don't exist on a table then you'd need to create it and call that one 1d3 times.

In all cases your output would have to be chat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Have you tried using story templates? They are awesome for multiple rolls/tables, and have the cleanest output.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    A table can only output to one thing or another. You can't have it output to different things depending on the result.

So in your example above I would create an encounter for A, a random encounter for B. For C it will depend on where you are getting the items. If a table already exits then you can call that table 1d3 times. If the items don't exist on a table then you'd need to create it and call that one 1d3 times.

In all cases your output would have to be chat.
    OK. That seems to be the case, but was wondering if I was just missing a trick. I'll just have to be more creative with which/where/how I use them individually instead of having one "master" table. (to rule them all? lol) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtechmike View Post
    Have you tried using story templates? They are awesome for multiple rolls/tables, and have the cleanest output.
    Actually.. I need to learn more about story templates... Thanks!
    Join my DCC RPG Road Crew via Fantasy Grounds! info @ https://www.indygaming.com/roadcrew/

"Why do squares have more sides than triangles?"

Are story templates implemented in the Pathfinder ruleset?

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

If you see a button called template when you view the story list window, then yes.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ah, right. Yes it is. Thanks.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

Thread Information