DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Help with Encounter

So I was practicing with a friend on the campaign and I was using the Ogre Mage, the monster I am going to be having in as a little boss for one section of my campaign, and I know its supposed to have specific spell like abilities like Cone of Cold, yet when I put it in the combat tracker, it does not give me the ability to use the ability. How do I get this to work?

Quote Originally Posted by XvKitaravX View Post
    So I was practicing with a friend on the campaign and I was using the Ogre Mage, the monster I am going to be having in as a little boss for one section of my campaign, and I know its supposed to have specific spell like abilities like Cone of Cold, yet when I put it in the combat tracker, it does not give me the ability to use the ability. How do I get this to work?
    The NPCs of Pathfinder and 3.5e which come by the free SRD data in FG do not have populated action tabs (I guess that the data of the NPCs is older than the introduction of the action tab for NPCs, i.e. you have to update the action tab manually) The action tab for NPCs is like for PCs but before you have unlock the data of the ogre mage. You can make a copy of it by dropping it again in the NPC window (then there is an ogre mage (copy)) or you use its information in the CT (to the very right at the ogre mage's entry in the CT is a temporary copy of the ogre mage's data).

Then go to the action tab, unlock the NPC by clicking on the lock in the upper right corner and now you can modify the action tab like for players In your example: Add a new spell class and adjust the data for the ogre mage, i.e. CL = 9 and the DCs are charisma-based and adjust the spells/day accordingly Then drag&drop the spell cone of cold in spell level 5 and prepare it once by going into the preparation mode Everything else behaves the same there, as for the players

EDIT: I would suggest to do that with a copy of the NPC and not in the CT. That would have the advantage that your modified action tab will be then always there when you would use an ogre mage again The way of adjusting it in the CT is only temporarily. To use cone of cold of a specific ogre mage you can then use its temporary sheet in the CT and only the casting ogre looses its use of cone cold and not all of them since every ogre mage in the CT has its own temporary sheet

EDIT2: Oh, yes, welcome to the forums of course
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 6th, 2019 at 18:28.

Welcome to the FG forums!

As Kelrugem mentions, the SRD data that comes with FG doesn't have this info. The official Pathfinder Bestiary does contain this type of information - for an example, see the second screenshot here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO1112FG
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you guys, I was able to add the spells by doing the copy but I am having a hard time figuring out how to actually cast them on the player, I was toying with it with a character I had created.

Thank you guys, I was able to add the spells by doing the copy but I am having a hard time figuring out how to actually cast them on the player, I was toying with it with a character I had created.
    The ogre mage has to target the player character there are two ways: When it is the turn of the ogre mage in the combat tracker then STRG + Left mouse button on the token of the player (the token in the combat tracker or on the map) will add the player as a target of the ogre mage (in the combat tracker is written which targets the ogre mage has) By STRG + Left mouse button on the player's token you can detarget the player again

When it is not the turn of the ogre mage then click on the reticle in the line of the ogre mage in the combat tracker (reticle is the correct English word? I mean that circle which designates the target in e.g. Ego-shooter, too ) Then the target line for the ogre mage open in the combat tracker and on the very right are two buttons: One for adding targets and one to remove all targets. Use the one for adding targets by drag&drop on the PC/NPC you want to have as a target You will then see that the token of your target is shown in that line. When you do not want to remove all targets by the remove button then simply click on this mini token and it will also be removed then

In the spell tab, where your spell is, are then cast buttons and damage buttons and so on Always start on clicking the cast button when you have your targets. Then, after the roll(s), click on the damage button of cone of cold Depending on the result of the save of your target you will see that the damage will be adjusted

I hope that helps

That did help, I figured out that I needed to use the cast and damage rolls on the combat tracker on the character it was attacking. I have another question, I have a player who wants to make a half-orc weretiger. I am having a hard time figuring out how to put the necessary information in, specifically the alternate form information, would he need to have two/three sheets to represent each form and what stats/abilities in each?

That did help, I figured out that I needed to use the cast and damage rolls on the combat tracker on the character it was attacking. I have another question, I have a player who wants to make a half-orc weretiger. I am having a hard time figuring out how to put the necessary information in, specifically the alternate form information, would he need to have two/three sheets to represent each form and what stats/abilities in each?
    Hm, yes, something like that is not so easy. The straightforward method would be to have several other character sheets (you can also make copies of the character sheets by Drag&Drop it into the character window, then you only have to change a bit) but then the player has to maintain more than one sheet.

Another method would be using effects, like here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...p/3.5E_Effects (but it is not complete; informations about evasion etc. are missing) When you add a new spell in the action tab somewhere (maybe first making a new spellclass "weretiger" or something like that, the name is not important) then right click on that spell and you see options adding cast, damage buttons etc. There are also effect buttons with whom you can affect your attributes and so on So when the strength changes by +6 in the weretiger form then the effect would look like STR: 6 (and maybe some bonus type like "racial"), but you would have to make some effects for the form I guess since the size of the player may also change and therefore I would suggest the first solution because you just started When you start to try to automate everything and to use all the shiny things at the very beginning, then you might be overwhelmed very fast
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 7th, 2019 at 00:41.

I like the thought of trying to make it a "class" to add it that way since he is not a natural born but an afflicted Lycanthrope. The only thing is the extra stats (Str +12 Dex +4 and Con +6) are only when he's in hybrid or tiger form. But the HD is the same no matter what [Monk hd since he's going to be a monk... he really wants to be a drunken master hahaha... plus Con modifier before the added stuff form tiger form, then add the tiger hit hd which is 6d8+6(Con modifier in tiger form)] It is going to be interesting though to say the least, what I may do is input a note for this in Hybrid/Tiger form what his stats are then or a temporary modifier not sure, but have the weretiger as a class that he's taken though to add the hd automatically maybe? We can do the level adjustment manually but just not letting him level up until he's reached the proper xp for a +2 level adjustment. I don't know, I'll toy with it and share any images of what I do to show you guys lol

I like the thought of trying to make it a "class" to add it that way since he is not a natural born but an afflicted Lycanthrope. The only thing is the extra stats (Str +12 Dex +4 and Con +6) are only when he's in hybrid or tiger form. But the HD is the same no matter what [Monk hd since he's going to be a monk... he really wants to be a drunken master hahaha... plus Con modifier before the added stuff form tiger form, then add the tiger hit hd which is 6d8+6(Con modifier in tiger form)] It is going to be interesting though to say the least, what I may do is input a note for this in Hybrid/Tiger form what his stats are then or a temporary modifier not sure, but have the weretiger as a class that he's taken though to add the hd automatically maybe? We can do the level adjustment manually but just not letting him level up until he's reached the proper xp for a +2 level adjustment. I don't know, I'll toy with it and share any images of what I do to show you guys lol
    Hehe, okay, let us know then Yes, the shapeshifting stuff is a little bit hard to manage

I just had some other idea, too: There is the advanced bestiary module, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=GRR2901e. This adds the possibility to make templates (like lycanthropy templates) and to add them to NPCs to make a new NPC with that template. But this only works for NPC such that you would have to make a NPC sheet for your player (and to share that with the player such that he can control that) in order to use the templates But I never used the template stuff of FG yet such that I am not sure if it is worth the effort making a NPC sheet for a PC

Yeah sadly I am working with what I can use for free we are going with just putting his stats in for staying in Hybrid form so we first built his half-orc monk and then added the tiger form, including in notes the base states before hand so he knows how to do his HD which is roughly 7d8 (1d8 for monk and the 6d8 for the tiger) plus his Con modifier in his half orc form (in this case it was 4) plus 6x his con modifier in tiger form (in this case its 6 so 36) The only thing I am not sure about is how to include his damage reduction of 5 except to silver weapons.

Edit: on another note, how do you put in the furry of blows?
    Last edited by XvKitaravX; May 8th, 2019 at 06:25.

Thread Information