FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

(Beta) Extension: Save versus school types, poison, sleep and other arbitrary tags

UPDATE: A new version is here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50297-(New-IF-operator)-New-and-much-better-version-of-Save-versus-tags&p=447232#post447232
    Use that, it is better :)

StrainInjury: The combined version with strain and injury is now in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50121-StrainInjury-packages&p=445695#post445695

Hello :)

I have a new extension and it really took a looooot of time and effort such that I need some people to test this extension :) The use of this extension is to have SAVE effects against spells, spell-like effects, against specific type of schools of magic, against sleep spells, against fear, or any other thing; and that fully automated :) This needs some explanation, in the attached picture you can see the new spell window while programming how the save of your spell works. (In post #4 you can see a picture about how it works; ignore the "REMOVE: " messages there, they are not there anymore)

In that window there are several new things:

1. A button for the schools (click on it several times to switch the school, there is also an empty field). This field will be automatically parsed with the appropriate school when there is some information about that in the spell description. (For your existing spells you have to reparse the spell or to add it again to the spell list)
    2. Another button for the type, spell, spell-like or nothing. When you add a spell or when you reparse it then the standard there will be 'spell' because I think that is the most common situation.
    3. At the very bottom (extend your window) there is an empty field for other tags for your spell. Add any information there you want, like 'poison', or 'sleep' etc.. Very important: Separate your tags with a semicolon, e.g. 'poison;sleep' when this correspons to a sleep poison.

How to use this?

1. The effects are based on the CUSTOM effect as in the bottom of https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/i...p/3.5E_Effects, so make sure that you know how that works; see e.g. my post #21 where I explained that a bit more. When you want that some effect is only taken into account when the roll is against a spell or spell-like ability, or only against spells of evocation etc., then write e.g. 'IF: CUSTOM (spell); SAVE: 2 racial' or 'IF: CUSTOM (enchantment); SAVE: 2 racial' and so on on the target of the spell who has to make the save. I.e., in the CUSTOM([...]) you write the tag(s) of the situation when that save should be modified by that effect. Always make new effects for different save-situations, do not put them all in the same line (see post #20 and my answer #21)
    2. The tags of the schools are: abjuration, conjuration, divination, enchantment, evocation, illusion, necromancy, transmutation, universal
    3. The tags of the type are: spell, spelllike (without the - in spell-like!). In general: Do not use special signs like '-' etc., otherwise the extension will not completely work :) (See also the second update entry below)
    4. To use the other tags in the line at the very bottom simply type anything in it, this can be then read by the extension. Very important: This is done by CUSTOM(...), i.e., as a general rule, I would suggest to separate different tags with a semicolon (and maybe everything small and without gaps between the words, but normally CUSTOM is not case sensitive such that this shouldn't matter). I.e., like 'poison;sleep;anyothertag' and then e.g. 'IF: CUSTOM (poison); IF: CUSTOM (sleep); IF: CUSTOM(anyothertag); SAVE: 2 resistance' (or just 'IF: CUSTOM(sleep); SAVE: 2 resistance', so the tags only give the spell action some new properties in form of tags which can be read by your effect and when all the tags for your effect are there then the effect applies, no matter if there are any other tags.

The spell resistance of dwarves would be (in 3.5e) then two effects 'IF: CUSTOM (spell); SAVE: 2 racial' and 'IF: CUSTOM (spelllike); SAVE: 2 racial'. The enchantment resistance of elves then 'IF: CUSTOM (enchantment); SAVE: 2 racial', the halfling fear resistance 'IF: CUSTOM (fear); SAVE: 2 morale' and so on. With the tags entry you can add any other tag you want :) There is no limit but this field has to be filled in manually, there is no parsing for it, i.e. the fear tags etc. have to be filled in manually. I may add automatic parsing for psionic spells and psi-like effects in the future like it is done already for spells.

I resolved all bugs and optical issues :) But maybe there are some other bugs I was not able to find yet, therefore I would happy when here are some people who can try this extension :) Please tell me about any problem you may find, then I try to fix that :) (but I have to work a lot in the upcoming weeks) Beware: I had to change a lot of the codes, i.e. this extension might not work with some extensions (maybe also not with my other extensions) and I only tested it for 3.5e, but I do not see any reason why it should be different in Pathfinder.

I hope that this extension is useful :) Took me incredible much time (the whole weekend) to do that :D When this extension works as intended then there is hopefully less manually tweaking in the future, especially when it is about save boni just against spells etc :)

Update: Darrenan allowed me to combine this extension with Strain and Injury :) See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50121-StrainInjury-packages&p=445695#post445695. The save vs tags alone is compatible with my advanced effects extension.

UPDATE 2: There is now automatic parsing of tags for subschools, descriptors, harmless and object descriptors (in saves and/or spell resistance) :) One warning: The code does not like special signs like '-', thence, the tags for language-dependent and mind-affecting are 'languagedependent' and 'mindaffecting', respectively :) (so the same rule as for spelllike :) )

UPDATE 3: I have now added several new features :)

1. The information of other tags in the save chat message will now be only displayed when there are really other tags available.
    2. I have added the effect 'SR: (N) [bonus type]'. This adds the number N as spell resistance and it does not stack with the existing value of spell resistance in the sheets since spell resistance works like that as far as I know. But, due to the mechanic of effects in FG, several different SR effects might stack when there is not a suitable bonus type, i.e. 'SR: 13; SR: 2' would result into 'SR: 15'. Hence, rather use a generic bonus type like 'SR: 13 enhancement; SR: 2 enhancement' to avoid that stacking although there is not any bonus type for magical effects for SR in the core rules. There is also not any information about the effect bonus in the chat message to avoid that players can estimate the SR of their target :) (but the effect seemingly works, trust me or play a bit with it :P). beware, this effect can not be combined with tags, so IF: CUSTOM (tag) will not work with SR. For some unknown reason I get some errors there and I was not able yet to find out why.
    3. There is also now an effect for spell immunity! :) The effect is 'SIMMUNE' and you trigger that effect only by pressing on the cast button. When the target has SIMMUN then you see [FAILURE] in the chat message of the cast message and the target will be removed according to your choice in the options for Remove on Miss. This effect can be combined with tags, e.g. 'IF: CUSTOM (mindaffecting); SIMMUNE' will work :)

Best,

Kelrugem :)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 4th, 2019 at 22:13.

Another minor optical issue: When there are not then you see still some information about it in the chat when making a save, in form of "[Other tags: ]". (Somehow I can not edit my initial post)

And: The tags of the spell school and type are given by the two cycle buttons under "ON SAVE". You do not have to write this in the tag box below of course

Ideas for future development:

Adding disciplines of psionic stuff and psionic/psi-like in general (up to now, they can be manually added as a tag in the last line, but automatic parsing would be of course better like it happens already for spells).
    Automatic parsing of the last line with subschools and descriptors coming from the school like fear, sleep, mind-affecting and so on (DONE)
    Immunity against specific spell tags (DONE)
    Spell focus
    Effect for spell resistance (DONE)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 23rd, 2019 at 18:30.

I also try to make a documentary about it and to add a lot of comments about my changes in the code for other developers (and I will probably forget all the details after some days which makes the maintenance terrible in the future I guess )

Sadly I can not edit my first post, but here is some picture about what the extension is doing (sorry, my texts are always so messy; the remove messages in the chat are not in the extension anymore. So you can ignore that chat information)

screenshot0006.png

There you can see the following: My test character attacks an aboleth with three spells. The aboleth has the effect ''IF: CUSTOM(spell); IF: CUSTOM(test); SAVE: 3", so it gets a +3 bonus on saves against spells with the tag "test". You can see the details of the spells in the three windows at the right (and one in the middle).

The first casted spell is Charm Monster and you see that the Aboleth gets the +3 bonus since the spell has the type "spell" and the tag "test".

The second spell is Charm Monster, Mass and there you can see that the Aboleth does not get the +3 bonus. Charm Monster, Mass has the type spell but it lacks the tag test.

The third spell is Psionic Charm without a school and type, but with the tags test and psi (and I could have added also the tag telepathy for the psi discipline, i.e. in total then "test;psi;telepathy"). Although it has the tag "test" the aboleth does again not gain any bonus since it has not the type "spell" It would have gotten the bonus of +3 when it would have the type/tag spell, doesn't matter that there is also the tag "psi".

I hope it is somehow understandable I was trying to figure out the easiest way to do that without loosing the advantage of using any arbitrary tag (because I want to support homebrew rules as good as possible)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 7th, 2019 at 00:52.

Update: I updated the extension, now you do not need the REMOVE extension anymore The tag is now correctly removed (I added a unique name to the auxiliary effect in form of "tagsistagsKelrugem;". Thus, as long as you do not use that string somewhere in your effects everything should work ) Thence, the REMOVE messages are gone now. (Now I was able to edit the first post by rewriting it again)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 6th, 2019 at 20:14.

BUG: I now know why it doesn't work when the PC casts on himself: When the PC has to make the save then the extension does in general not work. I will shortly fix it, probably due to that the code for the save of players is somewhere else in the code. So it only works for the saves of NPCs

UPDATE: Now the bug is resolved This extension now works for any save roll, for NPCs and PCs; you can download the new extension in the first post (basically due to that my previous version was not finding the CT position of the players, now I fixed that) In my opinion it now fully works but I would be glad when you can tell me about any other issue. This extension will not work with Strain and Inury, but I try to combine both

Thanks to Moon Wizard in helping me to find the bug
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 7th, 2019 at 00:50.

I've added an extension where this and Darrenan's extension about Strain&Injury are combined Thanks, Darrenan

Whaow ! Magnificent !
    Thank you Kelrugem
    JDRVIRTUEL: Le JdR virtuel en français - https://www.jdrvirtuel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Markjan View Post
    Whaow ! Magnificent !
    Thank you Kelrugem
    I hope it is useful The next thing I do is maybe the automatic parsing of the descriptors in the spells (such that one has not to write "fear" in that one line; of course the tags are saved when you drag&drop this spell back into the spell library, but then one duplicates the spell entries there). But Celestian also allowed to use his code for effects saved in item, NPC descriptions etc At some time I try to expand Celestian's extension for 3.5e/Pathfinder

The story behind this extension is by the way funny: In my last gaming session I killed the dwarven fighter of the player's group with phantasmal killer; afterwards he found out that he would have survived when he would have thought about his +2 save bonus against spells Therefore this extension, to save my players :P (but then I found out that he forgot his CON penalty of cloud kill which neglected that bonus again (he uses CON on his will saves due to some feat) )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 8th, 2019 at 18:48.

Thread Information