STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal66 View Post
    Well I should be but I better check that as well.

I called Metronet they claim to port forward or to even use a VPN I need a static IP. They will give me one for free for 1 year then it is $10 a month. They said it will take 5-7 days to get put on my account.

I really don't understand the VPN part, I VPN into my work system via laptop but I guess I would be hosting the VPN? I'm not that familiar with VPN's etc.

So entirely frustrating
    The good thing here is that by the time your year is up Unity will have solved the Port Forwarding issue and you won't need to be charged. Assuming to get in on the Unity Kickstarter of course.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I called Metronet they claim to port forward or to even use a VPN I need a static IP.

I really don't understand the VPN part, I VPN into my work system via laptop but I guess I would be hosting the VPN? I'm not that familiar with VPN's etc.
    You don't need a static IP for a VPN - you won't be hosting the VPN.

Look at the VPN options I linked to above - some are free, but require more work, the PureVPN option is easiest, but there is a monthly cost associated with that and you would need to get the Dedicated IP option (at $1.99 a month), you don't need the PureVPN port forwarding option. So, you may pay around $5/month using PureVPN (depending what deal you get at the time of signing up). It may be worth you taking up your ISPs offer of a dedicated IP address - then you wont have to run any VPN software at all, and as Zacchaeus mentioned, you won't need this if you move to FG Unity when that comes out.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I took them up on their offer and I was already in on FGU.

Thanks I will just wait, still no idea why I can't change to a private network

Blog Entries
    I took them up on their offer and I was already in on FGU.

Thanks I will just wait, still no idea why I can't change to a private network
    Let us know if you need someone to help you test a connection to you.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

... still no idea why I can't change to a private network
    Once you get the dedicated IP address setup, you will probably be able to get it working with a public network - it's just you'll need to add exceptions to your security/anti-virus apps as most will block app communication/accepting connections when on a network connection marked as Public.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Once you get the dedicated IP address setup, you will probably be able to get it working with a public network - it's just you'll need to add exceptions to your security/anti-virus apps as most will block app communication/accepting connections when on a network connection marked as Public.
    I was able to change to a private network, I did a windows update and then the option was back where it should be.

Now I wait for a week what should take 1 hour to do.

My static IP was given to me yesterday, set it up on my router and then ran the test in FG load campaign screen and got a success so I believe I am all set.

My static IP was given to me yesterday, set it up on my router and then ran the test in FG load campaign screen and got a success so I believe I am all set.
    That's great to hear! Quicker than they said.

Thread Information