DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Metronet and Port Forwarding

So I just switched from Uverse to Metronext Fiber Optic internet and I've had to cancel my last 2 sessions because I've spent hours trying to get port forwarding working.

With Uverse I just opened up the TCP port 1802 and worked.

Metronext uses a ZyXel router and I opened up the port and it doesn't work, I went through the troubleshooting guide and set a static IP to my machine and changed the rule and it didn't work (didn't do this ever with Uverse)

Next step check, Windows 10 shows I have a public network. Also never changed this with Uverse anyway tried to follow instructions to turn it to private and guess what there is no option to do that. I follow the instructions to the letter and the page that comes up for me is turning on a metered connection so no idea how to make it private or what that would screw up.

Metronet is fairly new so there tech support isn't the best. I told him what I was doing and he said that won't work they need to give me a static IP. Umm what, every provided uses dynamic ip's, they never had to give me a static one.

If I didn't have hundred of dollars into this system I would just give up and go back to Roll 20.

I need help please

1) You need to get your Public network changed to private. Do you have links to what you've tried?
    2) Metronet might weill be sharing a public IP address with many users, which is becoming more and more common now as there aren't enough public IPv4 addresses to go around - which might be why they said you need a static IP address (where they allocate just one public IP address to you only). From a Windows command prompt run tracert 8.8.8.8 and post the results here - this will help us identify if this is the case.
    3) If you are on a shared public IP address then you'll need to either get a static IP address from Metronet, or use a VPN solution, info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

First thank you for trying to help.

1. I've tried this an others https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/change-...rk-windows-10/ more importantly this image: https://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content...windows-10.jpg I don't have the top portion, it starts at metered connection.

2. trace route results.
    Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms EMG3425-Q10A.local [192.168.1.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 10.211.32.1
    3 3018 ms * 2948 ms 10.192.110.201
    4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 69.174.129.154
    5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms eqix-ch-100g.google.com [208.115.136.21]
    6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 108.170.244.1
    7 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms 108.170.236.101
    8 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

3. I don't know if I am, honestly I called tech support 3 times and it was the same guy and he didn't sound entirely knowledgeable. I'm not a novice with this, and his responses left me wondering if he knew what he was talking about.

Your second and third hops are to public IP addresses so it looks like your ISP is sharing IP addresses as Trenloe notes above. If your ISP is willing to give you a static IP address then you should be able to port forward but otherwise it looks likely that you'll need to seek a VPN solution
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Your second and third hops are to public IP addresses so it looks like your ISP is sharing IP addresses as Trenloe notes above. If your ISP is willing to give you a static IP address then you should be able to port forward but otherwise it looks likely that you'll need to seek a VPN solution
    Those hops are to "Private" IP addresses, which I'm sure is what you meant to say. Otherwise your assessment is correct.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal66 View Post
    1. I've tried this an others https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/change-...rk-windows-10/ more importantly this image: https://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content...windows-10.jpg I don't have the top portion, it starts at metered connection.
    Strange that you don't see the option to change the network profile.

There are multiple different options to change the profile from Public to Private here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html You may need to use one of the options after option #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Those hops are to "Private" IP addresses, which I'm sure is what you meant to say. Otherwise your assessment is correct.
    Gah, yes, that is what I meant. Thank goodness you're still here to put me on the right path even after all these years
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I tried to change it using the power shell option and get this

Set-NetConnectionProfile : Unable to set the NetworkCategory due to one of the following possible reasons: not running
    PowerShell elevated; the NetworkCategory cannot be changed from 'DomainAuthenticated'; user initiated changes to
    NetworkCategory are being prevented due to the Group Policy setting 'Network List Manager Policies'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 9 -NetworkCategory Private
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (MSFT_NetConnect...652AFCF50DBD}"):root/StandardCi...nnectionProfile)
    [Set-NetConnectionProfile], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 2,Set-NetConnectionProfile

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal66 View Post
    I tried to change it using the power shell option and get this

Set-NetConnectionProfile : Unable to set the NetworkCategory due to one of the following possible reasons: not running
    PowerShell elevated;
    Are you an Administrator on your computer? Did you open Powershell elevated - i.e. as an Administrator (you should see "Administrator" in the title of the Powershell window).

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Are you an Administrator on your computer? Did you open Powershell elevated - i.e. as an Administrator (you should see "Administrator" in the title of the Powershell window).
    Well I should be but I better check that as well.

I called Metronet they claim to port forward or to even use a VPN I need a static IP. They will give me one for free for 1 year then it is $10 a month. They said it will take 5-7 days to get put on my account.

I really don't understand the VPN part, I VPN into my work system via laptop but I guess I would be hosting the VPN? I'm not that familiar with VPN's etc.

So entirely frustrating

Thread Information