FG Spreadshirt Swag

Raise Damage Die not working properly?

When rolling damage for a weapon (rifle in this case, 2d8 damage), whenever a raise is rolled Fantasy Grounds auto-rolls another d8 instead of the d6. The item's 'Raise Damage' is correctly set to d6, but I can't get it to roll correctly. I tested this with other weapons and attacks, and Fantasy Grounds consistently rolls the ace die as 'raise damage' if a raise is rolled (e.g, if damage d8+d4 gets a raise, a d4 is rolled). Maybe easier to understand:

• 2d8 rolled for damage
    • Dice are 4 and 8
    • Another d8 is auto-rolled (should be d6)

Why is this happening?

I can't recreate the issue in my existing SW campaign or a new one.

SWD or SWADE rules?
    Are you using any extensions?

You might need to post your /version so we have more information.

I can't re-create this issue. As Eru says, perhaps try it without any extensions if you are running any and see if that narrows it down.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

If I am understanding the problem you are rolling damage, for example 2d8, and when one of the dice ace, rolls the maximum value for that die, instead of rolling d6 it rolls that die type again?

This is how it is supposed to work. The "raise damage" is not the same as "ace damage".

If, when you roll an attack, you get a raise result (four or more higher than the target number) whatever the damage is normally, that same 2d8 for example, you add an additional 1d6 to that damage. The raise damage becomes 2d8+1d6. This is the "raise damage" you are checking to see if it is set correctly. (There are some settings/edges where this die can be increased. That is why it is a changeable attribute.)

On the other hand, when rolling damage if one of the dice come up with the maximum result that same die is rolled again and added to the total. Your example of 2d8 rolling a 4 and an 8 and rolling a d8 again is how "ace damage" works. If both dice were to come up at max value then both dice would be rolled again. This is why even a kobald with a dagger can threaten a Veteran character. Aceing damage can get crazy big.
    This is the same way Trait dice can ace, but for damage.

(Edited for clarity.)
    Last edited by Erolat; April 29th, 2019 at 04:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Erolat View Post
    If I am understanding the problem you are rolling damage, for example 2d8, and when one of the dice ace, rolls the maximum value for that die, instead of rolling d6 it rolls that die type again?

This is how it is supposed to work. The "raise damage" is not the same as "ace damage".

If, when you roll an attack, you get a raise result (four or more higher than the target number) whatever the damage is normally, that same 2d8 for example, you add an additional 1d6 to that damage. The raise damage becomes 2d8+1d6. This is the "raise damage" you are checking to see if it is set correctly. (There are some settings/edges where this die can be increased. That is why it is a changeable attribute.)

On the other hand, when rolling damage if one of the dice come up with the maximum result that same die is rolled again and added to the total. Your example of 2d8 rolling a 4 and an 8 and rolling a d8 again is how "ace damage" works. If both dice were to come up at max value then both dice would be rolled again. This is why even a kobald with a dagger can threaten a Veteran character. Aceing damage can get crazy big.
    This is the same way Trait dice can ace, but for damage.

(Edited for clarity.)
    Thanks Erolat, I didn't read the question correctly and assumed they were talking about the raise die, not acing the damage dice .

Thread Information