Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU: Stretched goal - Fully fledged development tutorials and documents

FG is a fantastic tool but not necessarily an easy one to manipulate. Could you consider providing a fully fledge development course on developing your own ruleset/extension and the attached documentation as part of the kickstarter ?

Blog Entries
    Consider this, developing course material is about an 8-10 time magnifier to the actual course. What this means is to develop fully fledged 1 hour course takes about 8 to 10 hours. A fully detailed ruleset course would easily be 60 hours. Meaning it would take somewhere around 480-600 hours to develop the material for such a course. That is time that 2 developers would have to take away from FGU, meaning FGU release would be impacted by a good 2 months. Or, it would comeout after FGU and then impact future enhancements.

Personally, I would love such a class, as not being a programmer myself, and it one class I would take on my own time/dime. But, I also realize the effort in creating it and in maintaining it.

Are you familiar with the YouTube tutorial series that Damned or Trenloe put together? Also, with the developer Guide on the site here?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I love the tutorial you made damned, it is very helpful but what I am looking for is more the coding aspect of creating a character sheet rather than simply modifying it.

What I am looking for is for something that would start from the <windowclass name="charsheet"> and take it from there until you have a finished character sheet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabulazero View Post
    I love the tutorial you made damned, it is very helpful but what I am looking for is more the coding aspect of creating a character sheet rather than simply modifying it.

What I am looking for is for something that would start from the <windowclass name="charsheet"> and take it from there until you have a finished character sheet.
    Its all in there.
    Its not in that order but its all in there.
    This is the challenge (or one of many) - your definition of documentation or tutorials is different to someone elses and that is different to the next person again.

There is a list of all the functions in the doco.
    There are hundreds of examples in the rulesets.

Almost no one will start exactly where you have.
    Almost everyone will build on from the CoreRPG ruleset.

I think if you start with something small - eg - adding something to an existing sheet the pieces will start to fall into place.

The only issue is that I am trying to port my homebrew to fantasy grounds to keep playing with my players are they are leaving the country. When I look at Core or MoreCore, it looks to me as very D&D oriented. The game mechanics I am using are fundamentally different (I use a lot of dice pools) so just modifying an existing ruleset is unlikely to work for me.

I'll dig around to see if I can find a ruleset that uses player selected dice pool mechanics and take it from there.

Blog Entries
    The
    <windowclass name="charsheet">
    has very little to do with actually rolling the dice.
    MoreCore is not at all oriented towards D&D there are plenty of awesome D&D rulesets that cover that already.
    That tutorial is building a D&D ruleset but that is not really that relevant.

MoreCore includes Dice Pools and an option to configure the Dice Pools to roll with any of the included Scripts.
    see https://www.diehard-gaming.com/mchelp.html#dicepool

and https://www.diehard-gaming.com/mchelp.html#dicestrings

You can add dice with a Roll by using the syntax /pool 6d6 or enabling parameters and using /pool (p1)d6 or /pool (p1)d(p2) or you a, b or c and link those variables against Stats on the character sheet eg /pool (a)d(b) where A is linked to the characters Strength or Charisma or whatever and B is linked to an Entry that lists their Dice size.

You could then set the Pool to roll with a specific script eg /pooltype explode and then roll it via the gui or create another roll with string /rollpool

You can also hard code some of these things into your character sheet via an extension.

Is there such a thing as a Fantasy Ground Code Academy ?

Unless I misunderstood, I think something similar was mentioned in the weekly podcast.

Is there such a thing as a Fantasy Ground Code Academy ?

Unless I misunderstood, I think something similar was mentioned in the weekly podcast.
    No, there isn't. What was talked about was the FG College where people can learn how to use the software rather than code things for it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-and-then-play!
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    @Tabulazero: At the risk of seeing some flames, have you thought of taking this project on yourself?

I speak from experience. I decided to learn how to write an FG extension and also decided that I would blog about it. I believe there are roughly 24 blog posts as I attempt to take the non-programmer from ground zero through to a working extension. Alas the series has not seen the viewing that I had wished, but it is still available. Who knows I might do the same with FGU.

See my signature for the link to the first blog.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Thread Information