STAR TREK 2d20

Get OS from API?

I've been digging around and can't find anything like this... is it possible to get the OS and version from within the FG API?

I've tried a few basic LUA options that would but I suspect they are blocked.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Out of curiosity why would you want to do that?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Out of curiosity why would you want to do that?
    There is a bug with a specific OS version with a feature I use and I'd like to "disable" that feature automatically if they are using it. (Very old OS version).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

It would be a trivial thing (I would think) for the exe FG installer to setup a variable in the general db, I forget the name, where it could list the version. Unfortunately, should they upgrade in place, it would be off... so I realized that as I typed this.

I guess even easier would be the downloader - it could certainly call an OS lib via the C++ or whatever to get this info and send in the update request where then you can have more than one set of data to update them with, with the fix and without?

Just spitballin'

(Back in the 90s, I used to have to write pretty complex InstallShield scripts due to the changing Windows setups between older, NT, XP, 95 whatever was around. I had to handle 16 vs 32 bit too if I recall. Different times for software delivery though.)
    Last edited by Varsuuk; April 28th, 2019 at 02:28.

It's something we can look at adding in FGU, because we'll be able to query the OS from the Unity API. However, for the current version of FG, there is no easy way to query the OS, since it's always running as a Windows executable. (i.e. Windows emulation on Mac/Linux) While there may be some creative ways to figure this out that I'm not familiar with, there is no bandwidth for non-FGU updates at this point.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It's something we can look at adding in FGU, because we'll be able to query the OS from the Unity API. However, for the current version of FG, there is no easy way to query the OS, since it's always running as a Windows executable. (i.e. Windows emulation on Mac/Linux) While there may be some creative ways to figure this out that I'm not familiar with, there is no bandwidth for non-FGU updates at this point.

Cheers,
    JPG
    Understood. For now I've done some overriding of CoreRPG code to deal with it. I was hoping I could avoid doing that (I don't like overriding CoreRPG unless I must).
    ---

Thread Information